Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #91
Zaxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe that it is the FORD bonnet bulge. I agree with those who have stated that the bulge does not belong an a Ford 6 cyl.

However. On a holden ...?
Get real. A tryhard imitation, wishing they were something they're not.

Boss.
Old 16-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #92
xls3v

what about on a 3 valve?
Old 16-12-2009, 09:13 PM   #93
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xls3v
what about on a 3 valve?
According too some previous post's, no, because its not big enough :

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 16-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #94
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
all cars I am aware of that have a bonnet bulge had it fitted to create engine clearance - the Cortina for example I mentioned it had nothing to do with aesthetics it was put there because without it and a 250 xflow fitted the bonnet would not shut.

that bonnet on any car that does not require it makes you look like a ricer.
I know my mate is ordering a new manifold for his VE, but is having clearance issues due to already having spacers fitted into the engine, he is looking at a bulge.

You have no idea if he's doing it for pure aesthetics or for practical purposes.

At the end of the day, its his ride, looks alright to me, not ricer at all.
Old 17-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #95
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
I know my mate is ordering a new manifold for his VE, but is having clearance issues due to already having spacers fitted into the engine, he is looking at a bulge.

You have no idea if he's doing it for pure aesthetics or for practical purposes.

At the end of the day, its his ride, looks alright to me, not ricer at all.

Don't get me wrong, people can do what ever mod's to their own vehicle that they like, it's their choice - the bulge though is associated with a Ford product, put it on another vehicle and most peoples first thoughts would have to be fairly obvious.

Hopefully, the battle of the bulge has been concluded
Old 17-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #96
kezzer

I understand that, but whether it's for cosmetic or practical purposes who really cares?

At the end of the day if it looks good, well good on em (y)
Old 17-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #97
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'm curious to know who made the rule that xr8 buldges can't be put on a 6cyl..is it in the ford manual? If it's your car and you want it, do it. Don't let anyone tell you not to
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 17-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #98
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
I'm curious to know who made the rule that xr8 buldges can't be put on a 6cyl..is it in the ford manual? If it's your car and you want it, do it. Don't let anyone tell you not to

Exactly, the bulge is 80% Style, 20% function anyway.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 17-12-2009, 09:44 PM   #99
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Spot on, its just a bottom of the barrel, unintelligent word to describe something. 'Rice' comes from 'rice rocket', a name given to anything the was from Japan.

If people want want to use rice as a backronym, then stripes on GT's are rice, the sill covers are rice, the rear bar spoiler-all rice, even the XW-XY GT chin spoiler had little effect other then helping air to the radiator, so that's half rice.

Even further, the bulge would then be rice because Ford could have just had a bonnet that gave adequate clearance without a bulge.

Then there are bubble roofs, i, suppose that's rice as well. Oh, wait that intake is over 50mm X 100mm its to big for the car, so its rice.

The Bulge is a styling item, it has the parallel adjective of covering a bigger engine, but like any other panel on a car it has a purpose of looking good, as well as providng other functions.

Imagine if the desingers of 50's cars took the current attitude, all the wild fins (OMG RICE!), beautiful lines and massive chrome bars wouldn't be there.

*Facepalm*

RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.

All honesty I really dont envy people who put bulges or bodykits on cars, but they arent normally too bad, except all the veilside or similar. I wouldnt call it rice, unless it was a V8 supercar kit on a 6 cylinder falcadore or similar.

I think if its done well i wouldnt have a prob with it, but if its copying Ford's styling cue, then Ford must be doing something right!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 18-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #100
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Battle of the Bulge - conducted latter stages of WWII by a push by divisions of Tiger tanks breaking through the allies lines - hostilities further enhanced upon allies forward scouts observing the crack divison of Tiger tanks had replaced front emblems with Chev badges.
Old 18-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #101
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
Thats what I was refering to "bacronym", the root of the words meaning has been taken out of context. Rice was appilied as an acronym well after the term 'ricer' was flung around. Now even people describe standard falcon tail lights as 'Rice' : It makes no scense at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods

I think if its done well i wouldnt have a prob with it, but if its copying Ford's styling cue, then Ford must be doing something right!
Just like 12 Slots and Shakers!

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 20-12-2009, 12:52 AM   #102
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Battle of the Bulge - conducted latter stages of WWII by a push by divisions of Tiger tanks breaking through the allies lines - hostilities further enhanced upon allies forward scouts observing the crack divison of Tiger tanks had replaced front emblems with Chev badges.
Old 20-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #103
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
Jeeze - away five minutes and this pops up
Due to the numberplates i'm guessing he had one of the oil burning, piston slapping LS1's.
Old 19-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #104
tce
BA WAGON

Has any one started copying the FG bulge yet? It would good on the EF.
Old 19-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #105
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The shaker is iconic, but was dumped when models changed. Why hang onto something that is no longer functional, serves no purpose and represents an earlier model. I say ditch it and come up with something fresh and unique to a new model.
Old 19-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #106
tce
BA WAGON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
The shaker is iconic, but was dumped when models changed. Why hang onto something that is no longer functional, serves no purpose and represents an earlier model. I say ditch it and come up with something fresh and unique to a new model.
Plus it looks totally wrong on top of the bulge IMO