Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Police Harassment ????

Just got this email today, as always one cant tell if its true or not, but the reply is pretty funny, especially the last one.

Enjoy...

Quote:
Recently, South Australian Police ran an e-mail forum (a question and answer exchange) with the topic being "Community Policing."

One of the civilian email participants posed the following question;

"I would like to know how it is possible for police officers to continually harass people and get away with it?"

From the "other side" (the law enforcement side) Sgt. Kym Webb of Mount Barker police, (a cop with a sense of humor) replied:

"First of all, let me tell you this...it's not easy. In the Adelaide Hills we average one cop for every 600 people. Only about 60% of those cops are on general duty (or what you might refer to as "general patrols") where we do most of our harassing.

The rest are in non-harassing departments that do not allow them contact with the day to day innocents. At any given moment, only one-fifth of the 60% general patrols are on duty and available for harassing people while the rest are off duty. So roughly, one cop is responsible for harassing about 5,000 residents.

When you toss in the commercial business, and tourist locations that attract people from other areas, sometimes you have a situation where a single cop is responsible for harassing 10,000 or more people a day.

Now, your average eight -hour shift runs 28,800 seconds long. This gives a cop one second to harass a person, and then only three-fourths of a second to drink a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee AND then find a new person to harass. This is not an easy task. To be honest, most cops are not up to this challenge day in and day out. It is just too tiring. What we do is utilize some tools to help us narrow down those people which we can realistically harass.

The tools available to us are as follows:

PHONE: People will call us up and point out things that cause us to focus on a person for special harassment. "My neighbor is beating his wife" is a code phrase used often. This means we'll come out and give somebody some special harassment. Another popular one is, "There's a guy breaking into a house." The harassment team is then put into action.

CARS: We have special cops assigned to harass people who drive. They like to harass the drivers of fast cars, cars with no insurance or no driver's licences and the like. It's lots of fun when you pick them out of traffic for nothing more obvious than running a red light. Sometimes you get to really heap the harassment on when you find they have drugs in the car, they are drunk, or have an outstanding FINS warrant on file.

RUNNERS: Some people take off running just at the sight of a police officer. Nothing is quite as satisfying as running after them like a beagle on the scent of a bunny. When you catch them you can harass them for hours.

LAWS : When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks. They are called "Statutes" . These include the Criminal Law Consolidation Act, Summary Offences Act, Road Traffic Act and a whole bunch of others ... They all spell out all sorts of things for which you can really mess with people.

After you read the law , you can just drive around for a while until you find someone violating one of these listed offenses and harass them. Just last week I saw a guy trying to steal a car. Well, there's this book we have that says that's not allowed. That meant I got permission to harass this guy. It is a really cool system that we have set up, and it works pretty well.

We seem to have a never-ending supply of folks to harass. And we get away with it. Why? Because for the good citizens who pay the tab, we try to keep the streets safe for them, and they pay us to "harass" some people.

Next time you are in the Hills, give me the old "single finger wave." That's another one of those codes. It means, "You can harass me."

It's one of our favorites. "

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Sorry ..... very old one. Here is a few versions mostly from the states .....

http://bpoa-online.com/newsflash/a-t...ice-harassment
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...0172750AA6L2RS

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bugga

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nice. i'd buy kym webb a beer (or iced coffee lol)
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

i like it.
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
Mad Maxine

Like it? I love it!

1977 XC GS Coupe
Mad Maxine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #7
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Have considered becoming a cop, too many people to harrass. Think i'll stick with fixing cars.
Old 25-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LAWS : When we don't have PHONES or CARS and have nothing better to do, there are actually books that give us ideas for reasons to harass folks.
That's the phone book isn't it? They harass people with that so they don't leave marks
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #9
Deebs1990

Haha that was very well written, a cop with a sense of humour, never thought i'd see (or read about) that.
Old 27-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Old, but good

Funny thing is some of this rings true, as we watched an individual in a VN station wagon harass the police, except he forgot about the bag of drugs, mainly filled with little white pills in the boot.... 3 cop cars and a dog squad later they were still harassing him
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
That's the phone book isn't it? They harass people with that so they don't leave marks
Wet towel and a length of garden hose.
Old 28-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #12
Den76
Phantom cruiser

LOL love it

Just wondering if it took Sgt. Kym Webb lets say 30 minutes to reply she effectively missed out on harrasing 625 people.....
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Cops have always had a sense of humour.
Sometimes, they can't even contain their sense of humour.
Like this guy; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv4tK...eature=related

Quote: