Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-10-2010, 02:22 AM   #1
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default For a business what are the costs for a website?

Can someone tell me how much a decent website costs for a small business? Recently whilst surfing the net for different items I have found a lack of decent and informative websites. Many small businesses just hook up with a link to a list of like businesses in the area as a means of getting out there but in this day and age where the first place you look for something is the net then surely these places are loosing out big time. Some sites for supposedly large businesses are just downright

Old 05-10-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
Maggot
Half an aussie garage!!

It's time consuming stuff. so you can pay anywhere from 500 to 20K depending on the site.

Most places end up using a template from template monster or similar.. purchased for about $40 US and then sell to you with your information inside, so if you know someone that can add your information to one of these templates (perhaps a student studying web design).. then you can save some coin.

Buying the domain name and a year's hosting is $300 odd and then another couple of hundred per year.

You can use a google adwords campaign to increase your hits but it can be expensive and usually only worth it if you have something to sell when people do click to your site.
Maggot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Hi deesun, as maggot said it all depends I have a website for my business that I did myself using the MRSITE package and it meets my needs fine, I'm ok with computers but no genius. It was very easy to set up and at minimal costs.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you're just after a basic website created professionally, it can be done for under $1k, however if you start adding fancy menu's, features or want it built from scratch (i.e not a template with your info) then as Maggot said, you start looking upwards of $1k VERY fast.

My auntie had her website created 5 years ago (or thereabouts) by a web developer, and just for the basic site with her info and images it was around $1.5k.

She then needed to get copyrights to some of the images she used, and still pays royalties for using them, as well as domain fees, further updates (when required) and hosting fees. All up I think it costs close to $500 per year or there about to maintain it.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you looking for a website for yourself or looking at getting into the website making business?

If looking for your business then you really should do a lot of research into how it will make you money and from whom.

If looking at setting yourself up be aware there are 1 bazillion amateur website makers who will do it for almost free just because they are bored waiting for their centrelink payment to arrive.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #6
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

If you're getting one built.
1: Keep it as simple and visually clean as possible
2: Don't use flash. The sooner that scourge is wiped off the planet the happier I'll be.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #7
Mad_Aussie
what-tut-tut-tut

I build site packages starting at $500 for a two-page site. This gives you a html home page (no flash, no fancy photo manipulation etc) and a contact page. From there, depending on how many pages you want, the costs increase.
We do all the general SEO work, but can do things like google AdWords and such for a little bit extra. Depending on your hosting package, you can end up with a little bit of an AdWords budget included.
If you're after flash, we charge a flat rate of $500 for the first page and $200 per page after that. Depending on the complexity of what you want, we sometimes charge by the hour. We try to discourage people from using flash, however when we do digital signage its usually preferable to use it.

If you need the ability to add pages, photos, etc yourself, you may need a CMS. There are a variety of public domain ones we use, and also some premium packages that put costs up a bit higher. Usually around $500 on top of the inital build for a cms setup.

Registering your domain name (the .com.au) is approx $40 for two years. The hosting is approx $150-200 per year.

Send me a PM if you want some specific information mate
Mad_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
If you're getting one built.
1: Keep it as simple and visually clean as possible
2: Don't use flash. The sooner that scourge is wiped off the planet the happier I'll be.
You mean you 'don't' like waiting 10 hours for the Supercheap site to load up?
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
You mean you 'don't' like waiting 10 hours for the Supercheap site to load up?
Was thinking more of this. http://stefan.com.au/
Old 05-10-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the replies, no I am not after one for myself rather I couldn't understand why more people don't have one or a decent one. I was presuming it was cost and was wondering how much they were so all the replies have answered my question. I can see how the costs can add up and as usual the setup is the major burden. By some account it makes Yellow Pages look reasonable I suppose. But I hate it when one isn't kept up to date, another cost i guess, and it is unprofessional. Thanks guys.