Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Default Opinions on my car purchase?

Hi all, I'm currently 20 turning 21 in june, and a carpentry apprentice(4th year). As you can see in my signature i have a ba sedan atm but as im completing my apprenticeship soon i'll be needing a ute for work duties. Now this is where it gets tricky for me. I'd like to trade my current car in NOW on a BRAND NEW XR50T ute but because of my age i will be unable to drive it. So i'd like to know everyones opinions on what i should do:

Option 1: Do what i want now, which is trade my car very soon, pay some cash and also get a loan towards a new ute. But in doing this like i said i wont be able to drive it until june, so i'd have to spend a small amount of money on a beater for a few months to get around. I also should add that i'm pretty sure ill be able to drive the ute for work purposes only as vicroads can give exemptions on high powered vehicles for work purposes. In doing this option id obviously loose money on interest and two regos.

Option 2: I try to contain my excitement and wait until june to get a year old one. If i did this id have about 16 grand in savings + the trade in of my car. So id be getting a smaller loan and saving on interest.

With option 1 i'd obviously get a bit more trade in for my car but lose on interest. Option 2 less trade in but more savings and no interest. The reason this decision is so difficult is because i'd really like to buy new to show my support for Ford but it'd probably make me loose slightly between buying next year secondhand.
I will probably get laughed at by a few, because the question is slightly stupid lol but i'd like to know what you'd all do in my position.

all hit me if you like

cheers kev

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
sxckevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2010, 11:53 PM   #2
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxckevo
but i'd like to know what you'd all do in my position.
I would only get a ute like that if I had a work trailer and worked on clean sites. I did about the same, bought a couple year old xr8 ute when I finished my apprenticeship. I wouldn't do it again, it just gets too trashed and not enjoyable seeing it dirty all the time and trying to work out of it without damaging it, I had nowhere to store a trailer at home which didn't help. Everyone told me don't mix pleasure and work but I did. But it does depend on what type of work you do, I've had jobs where it was great and others not so great

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
sxckevo
Ford motor company

To be honest i would preferably like to get a sedan instead of a ute for that reason and have a cheap car as a work hack but i only recently just sold a old rodeo ute i had for work because i was losing to much money with two regos, fuel and insurance. So i'm kind of in a situation where i need a work and play ute :( so yeh i'd most defiantly be getting a trailer and unlike alot of tradies out there (my two bosses) i would take 'extreme' care in my new car. I agree with what you say about the types of job sites, i regularly park metres away from the site because im affraid other tradies will damage my baby

.......Ive picked the wrong trade and passion i think :S

Old 13-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont be silly and buy a knew ute/car as it will depreciate super quick so i suggest u buy something a couple yrs old, and stick with ur current ride for abit longer.

Have u looked at ur tax benefits from doing any sort of purchase???

If i were u id get myself a good reliable ford and put it on gas and save ur money.....
Old 13-10-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget the advertising spiel. If you genuinely need a work ute, go for some old banger. You don’t want to fork out big bucks for a nice motor, and watch it get trashed on building sites.
If you really want to have a nice personal ride, you’re better off with two cars.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #6
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

personally i reckon it would be sick seeing a XR50T ute driving around covered in mud haha

I know what you mean by wanting the new ute too, i mean, who else your age has one of those?! And getting an old BA or BF just wouldnt be the same cause you're so use to them.

I say get the new ute man, depreciation want be as much as the other series of those utes cause its the XR50 model, so get it.
But just take extreame car :|
Like constantly put protective wax on it or something

Good luck with the decision bro!
Old 13-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is what i did... obviously not the smartest thing but it worked... simular situation was almost off my P's and needed to off load my N/A ba sedan cause was in a bad accident and the repair job was well below par and got sick of dealing with aami to try and fix it... so i bought a xr6 turbo sedan and simply took the turbo badge off... unless you do something stupid and ask for police attention (them checking your rego) you'll be fine. i got rbt'd a few times and didnt notice.

again i stress that this isnt exactly the smart idea though as i think since then they have changed it to 6 points and a fine. at the time i did this it was just a few hundred dollars fine
Old 13-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
glavas

just buy a hilux great work ute and it dosent matter if its gets dirty cause there ugly anyway
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #9
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
here is what i did... obviously not the smartest thing but it worked... simular situation was almost off my P's and needed to off load my N/A ba sedan cause was in a bad accident and the repair job was well below par and got sick of dealing with aami to try and fix it... so i bought a xr6 turbo sedan and simply took the turbo badge off... unless you do something stupid and ask for police attention (them checking your rego) you'll be fine. i got rbt'd a few times and didnt notice.

again i stress that this isnt exactly the smart idea though as i think since then they have changed it to 6 points and a fine. at the time i did this it was just a few hundred dollars fine
You're a silly silly boy...

To the OP: you can always wait till next year and just buy a new xr6t(non 50th anniversary) ute next year. Does it have to be an xr50?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
sxckevo
Ford motor company

[QUOTE]

Have u looked at ur tax benefits from doing any sort of purchase???

Na I don't really know much about the tax side of things, maybe I should look into it

If you really want to have a nice personal ride, you’re better off with two cars.

Yeh Id like to do this but don't think I'll be able to afford to regos, insurance, fuel and maintenance

personally i reckon it would be sick seeing a XR50T ute driving around covered in mud haha

Haha I'd be going no where near mud and if it did id be washed straight away lol

I know what you mean by wanting the new ute too, i mean, who else your age has one of those?! And getting an old BA or BF just wouldnt be the same cause you're so use to them.

Yeah thats the one of my main reasons for wanting a FG bit over ba and bfs

I say get the new ute man, depreciation want be as much as the other series of those utes cause its the XR50 model, so get it.

I'll be keeping it for a long time

But just take extreame car :|

My car now is perfect this one will

Na I know a few people that have done that, personally wouldn't want my life to be ruined by running into a lambo, BMW and then into a shop collapsing it and getting told by the insurance company that they won't cover me :( lol

just buy a hilux great work ute and it dosent matter if its gets dirty cause there ugly anyway

Lol na personally I hate 4wd style utes so it be either a falcon or commodore ute I'd get, but holdens arnt my thing so the mighty falcon it will be

To the OP: you can always wait till next year and just buy a new xr6t(non 50th anniversary) ute next year. Does it have to be an xr50?

I'd love to get a xr50 ute either way because there included kit is just to sweet to pass up

Thanks for everyones thoughts this is doing my head in

Old 13-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Investigate the tax benefits with an accountant perhaps.

Do not get a tub! A tray top Falcon ute will wear a hell of a lot slower - no worries about scratches, dirt, dents, getting tools in and out for the back half of the car.

Personally I would skip the turbo altogether and get a NA one, but can understand why you would want one.

...oh and dont get me started on how rubbish new Hiluxes are, a 3 year old Falcon would be a WAY better option.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 01:30 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you genuinely need the ute for work, then buy a work ute, second-hand tray back with a secure canopy. Borrow 100% of the money. If you keep this for work only, then all costs, including depreciation, interest, rego, insurance, etc, are fully tax deductible. (Yes, sigh, I AM an Accountant.)

Also, take a bit of advice; at your age you don’t need a brand spanking FG. Pick a model you like, find a nice example, and put some money into making it your own.
BTW: There’s nothing terribly special about the 50th anniversary models. Yes, if I was going to purchase soon, I would go out and get one now, but there’s no real reason to rush out ahead of time. They’re not really limited edition, and they won’t hold their value significantly more than any other model.

On a final note, I suspect that you fill find ensuring a Turbo bloody expensive at your age.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #13
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
If you genuinely need the ute for work, then buy a work ute, second-hand tray back with a secure canopy. Borrow 100% of the money. If you keep this for work only, then all costs, including depreciation, interest, rego, insurance, etc, are fully tax deductible. (Yes, sigh, I AM an Accountant.)

Also, take a bit of advice; at your age you don’t need a brand spanking FG. Pick a model you like, find a nice example, and put some money into making it your own.
BTW: There’s nothing terribly special about the 50th anniversary models. Yes, if I was going to purchase soon, I would go out and get one now, but there’s no real reason to rush out ahead of time. They’re not really limited edition, and they won’t hold their value significantly more than any other model.

On a final note, I suspect that you fill find ensuring a Turbo bloody expensive at your age.

would i have to borrow 100%? how old can the car be before i stop claiming depreciation?
i actually just check before what a 50th T would cost me to insure.... i was pleasantly surprised, only 1200, with a $1000 excess. was expecting much more considering my BA cost me 2500 the first time i insured it

Thanks for the help

Old 14-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a good job for my age of 19. So I thought "No one else my age has a brand new 4x4, so Ill get one of them" I have always wanted a 4x4 for the space and offroad ability.

Oh big big mistake.

I don't use it for work, but for fun it has got mud and dirt all through the interior due to dirty mountain bikes, got a nice chunk out of the rear bumper when a unsecured trailer door opened and hit the back as I turned, has a random small dent in the bonnet I'm not sure how it ended up their, and just today I got a nice 1 inch x 1 inch patch scratches on the back. This car is 7 Months old!

I feel like **** every time I think about what a waste it is, new cars do not hold vaule well and mine would be worth even less then the average.

Would of been so much better If a got a 5 year old 4x4. I wouldn't be so worried if it got a few dents and scratches. I regret buying new everyday.

What I'm saying is, if you are going to use it for work, do not get brand new. It will great thrashed too much.
I would love a new car that I just cruised on the roads with, but I carry to much stuff and drive really rough roads which just thrashes a new, clean car.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
dave289
Banned

Firstly, if you can not afford 2 regos,you cannot afford this ute. you are young and still unwise. you think evrything is going to be fine ,but you work on building sites and will have this car going down hill big time. If you want some idea of what it will be like,go and withdraw $3,000 from the bank ,get out your lighter and burn every note,one by one, this is how much you will lose after you drive it out the door on day one, you WILL GET DAMAGE AND IT WILL SLOWLY BUT SURELY GO DOWN HILL.

If you like burning money ,go ahead, make my day. If you are smart you will listen to what most people have to say on here.go and buy a good second hand job and save yourself a lot of money. like the young bloke who bought the new 4x4 ,you WILL regret it when you start to see not only how much money it is costing you ,but also how much you are losing and also how your car will go down hill on a worksite by a young dude who probably has no garage.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #16
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These days it seems youths are putting their wants in front of their needs, and complaining about it when the can't afford the repayments. I'm not suggesting this is the case with the OP, however the idea of having a XR50 turbo ute as a work hack will win brownie points with your mates, and has that **** factor, but of course has nothing to do with how much income will end up in your bank acccount. At your age, I would be more concerned how much of this money was coming out! Personally, I would trade in the BA and get a second hand Hilux (or similar) if it's going to dirty work sites etc. If you can utilise your savings to do this, why not. If you do get a small loan, the interest portion may be tax deductable. I say save hard today, spend big later!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A GOOD second hand light truck .. Don't worry about new and claiming depreciation etc.. Your NOT earning enough YET to get any gains..
Check ex gov auctions??
As low as $5 to $7k would get you what you want.. Service it and treat it with respect mechanical wise.. Interest / debt on a new-sh vehicle could kill you down the road...
Get the things you want when your business comes good...
Want and needs are two different things..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #18
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In addition to my above post. I did not go broke buying a brand new car. I could afford it. I'm just saying it's not worth the money if it is going to be used for work.

In the future I think the newest car I will buy, will be about 4 years old. Because then at least a majority of the depreciation has taken place.
Old 14-10-2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In addition to my above post. I did not go broke buying a brand new car at age 19. I could afford it. I'm just saying it's not worth the money if it is going to be used for work.

In the future I think the newest car I will buy, will be about 4 years old. Because then at least a majority of the depreciation has taken place.
Old 14-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #20
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Im with everyone else. Get an older tray back. I have an 09 Turbo ute for my business and it bugs me nearly everyday. Its great on the road and whilst driving but as soon as you get to a job its a waiting game for it to get damaged (very stressful). Awesome car, but I wouldn't do it again. As soon as I can I will be trading up to a new sedan (come on GT) and will pick up a tray back ranger for work. Have a nice sedan for pleasure and something that if damaged is not the end of the world for work.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #21
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

After reading all that im convinced too :|
Deffs get something older, but if you still wanna be different to everyone else and have a sick cruiser, get a restored XB-XC ute, if it gets damaged it wont be the end of the world cause repairs are eeaaasssyy, EVERYONE loves them (My XC ute gets looks everywhere) they look awesome, are powerful as, and are a mad cruiser.
either that or get the XR50T and a huge bullbar
Old 14-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #22
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Hmmm a bit of a conundrum here. You NEED a work ute, WANT a new 50t, DON'T WANT to get it dirty, but can't afford 2 regos?? Look I hate to be nasty & blunt, but you can't have them all. Or two together. This is really a case of putting your NEEDS BEFORE your wants.

I can certainly understand your position. Been there myself. However, i took the smart route & stuck with what I need. I WANTED new car, however, didn't NEED one. Though I do have to say that the beast is closing in on 436,000ks so those two factors are starting to merge together. She needs a rebuild soon. The other factor is at some time your workload will increase, & when you get home, cleaning the car is the last thing on your mind, so it gets left..... & left..... & left.... Same thing has happened to me. You may have those intentions, but real life will get in the way of cleaning the car. I'm not saying it's impossible, but can be VERY draining keeping a work car in pristine condition.

For you to do what you want & keep the 50 in good condition, then you'll need two cars. Which you can't afford. Sorry to say it, but you may just have to pick up a year old FG "tradie ute" or a new one for tax & stick with that....

P.S. Look into the tax write offs for your industry TODAY. Your no doubt losing money if you don't know the write off's. Its for that reason that tax is a wonderful thing!!
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 14-10-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #23
illusionalvr
Banned

I need a new car. i want a ba xr6t. cheap enough, but out of my league. when i get it. ill have it until i can afford my black vz thunder SS twin turbo.

or i can skip that, win the lotto and buy a f6 typhoon.
illusionalvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 10:57 PM   #24
sxckevo
Ford motor company

thanks again everyone for your opinions, sad for me to say but its made my decision easier. im going to stick with my trusty BA till next june and then consider my options. i owe nothing on my car, have NO debts and am a good saver (had 10k in shares by 18 ), i defiantly need a ute but in my current situation not at this minute. lol to the tax comment for my industry, i have no clue about that
I want a 5.0 GT, i want a FG F6, i want a house, a winning lotto ticket, beach house in miami............but yes sadly all wants :( one day when im a billonare ill get them - give me 5 years

oh yeh almost forgot, i cant wait forever to buy a new falcon..they might not be around

cheers everyone

Old 14-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #25
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

House just out of Miami would be cheaper... Lol..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #26
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
House just out of Miami would be cheaper... Lol..
let him borrow one of yours for a weekend just to see if he likes the area

-tim
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post