Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-09-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
XR6SQ

Default Lowered Ute - Noisy rear end

Hey guys,

I recently lowered my ute, well pedders did it for me. They installed sports ryder shocks all round with lowered springs in the front and they reset the rear leafs.

Ever since I had the work done there has been rattling from the rear end when going over bumps or rough roads, is this common with reset leafs? It hasn't been lowered heaps, only a few inchs, so its not bottoming out or anything.

I am going to take it back to them as I have prodded around and can't tell where its coming from, but I thought i might get some suggestions as I don't have the time to take it into them this week.

cheers

Old 27-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Sounds like it could be that part of the exhaust system needs moving.

If you cant take it straight back to them least ring them as soon as you can and tell them the problem, explaining that you cant get it back to them for a week.

That way they cant accuse you of having the car a week and causing the problem yourself.
Old 29-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a knocking noise from mine after being lowered and it turned out that that it was the u bolts stretched so i tightened them up and prob solved but the noise started bout a week after, also went with super pro eye bushes and don't rate them at all noisy as hell squeeking is just plane irritating
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have heard that the U-bolts need to be re-tensioned after doing any rear suspension work on the utes.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
kenz
BOSS Pilot

2 of my utes have done that after lowering. Both times ended up being the exhaust hitting on the axle. Had to get the rear section of pipe rebent so it was up higher

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
robbyj
Rob

When i got my rims + lowered on the sedan, i had an annoying rattle. Turns out the back bumper was loose. It wasn't like that before i got it done, so dunno how it happened. Worth a quick check anyway.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
i had a knocking noise from mine after being lowered and it turned out that that it was the u bolts stretched so i tightened them up and prob solved but the noise started bout a week after, also went with super pro eye bushes and don't rate them at all noisy as hell squeeking is just plane irritating
Squeaking bushes would indicate that they were not greased well enough before installation
Old 29-09-2010, 11:36 PM   #8
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
ill second that the super pro eye and shackle bushes are quite noisy and i coated mine in rubber grease when i slipped them in

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
If you cant take it straight back to them least ring them as soon as you can and tell them the problem, explaining that you cant get it back to them for a week.

That way they cant accuse you of having the car a week and causing the problem yourself.
Good advice.

I agree with all that have mentioned exhaust issues. The diff is now closer to all exhaust than it used to be.

Also agree with those who've mentioned the bushes. I had to take my wagon back to Pedders for another shot of grease! It was quiet for a while, then of course they started squeaking again.

At it happens, I just used some lithium based spray grease last night on my wagon. It was handy that the can could take a nozzle, to get into the spaces between the leaves.

Haven't driven it yet, but it was nice and sticky, so I hope it will keep the squeaks at bay for a few months. We'll see though! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #10
azza11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When my wagon was lowered they damaged a bush. Replaced it when i brought new shocks, torn shockie bush (upper)

AZZA
Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
XR6SQ

thanks for all the replys guys, have been without internet for a while.

I was playing around the other day and noticed that it was the smallest leaf banging agains the middle leaf, do I fix this by tightening the U bolts??
Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6SQ
I was playing around the other day and noticed that it was the smallest leaf banging agains the middle leaf, do I fix this by tightening the U bolts??
Umm, Leaf springs should flex, not bang! If your U bolts are loose so will be the handling
Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
XR6SQ

your telling me, hence I have a problem...

The 3 largest leaves (not sure if this plural works in the suspension world) flex but the smallest one is making the slapping noise when it slaps against the others.

I have tomorrow off so I will get it checked out. As I just read that the tension of U bolts etc is pretty vital.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #14
webby_191189
low wagooon

the small one at the bottom would be the overloader, designed to stop the springs from going over centre with weight put in the back. If you have had your springs reset (flattened) it can make the ride softer so it hits the overloader leaf more often. To get rid of the noise just put some rubber over the spring and ziptie it there

webby_191189 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post