Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2010, 06:19 AM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default help finding flights on the internet!!

So for the past week I have been looking at flights from Melbourne, to Phuket, Thailand... found some good deals RETURN in between 800-1,000, but that includes 4 flights each way.

I am looking at the cheapest direct flight, but not many are doing it for a good price? why??

at the moment, for a reasonable price I can do
melb > bris
bris > phuket

or

melb > syd
syd > phuket

or

melb > singapore
singapore > phuket

and of course, the return is the opposite...

my dates are set at
14th of january, to the 29th of january... or i'm thinking return on feburary the 3rd

driving be bananas lol

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #2
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Be carefull with the net

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/austra...-cheap-flights
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

You dont mention Accomodation, most times its easier to book as a package, so a little more information may be required.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
bungarra

Try Web Jet or go direct to Pacific Blue or Thai Airways websites. Jetstar go via Singapore. I know PB go direct from Perth as does Thai. Everyone else is via Singapore or Kuala Lumpur.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try Airasia, they do Melb-KL, KL-Phuket.

Typically the KL-Phuket flights are only a few bucks each way. Melb-KL is best booked when they have a sale + typically they are seasonal, ie school hols/Easter etc are more expensive.

I just had a quick lool -

Melb- KL return AU$433, 6/5/2011 - 13/5/2011

KL-Phuket return for the same days is RM$355 which is about AU$119

On top of these prices, throw in about AU$100 or so for luggage and if you want food, about AU$7 per meal, you'll only need 2, 1 for mlb-kl and another for kl-mlb.

In summary, about AU$660 or so, one stop on KL each way.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #6
MexicanBatman
Banned

Go and ask a travel agent, some times they can book flights you wouldn't have thought about or don't know exist and aren't always more expensive than a poorly thought out Internet booking especially if you aren't flying the same airline or booked from Mel to HKT on the one ticket...

If you need to make a stop, I'd prefer to do that in Australia, so the JQ Mel-Syd Syd -Hkt would be better than transferring an an unfamiliar airport etc...
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Forget my idea, I didn't read your post correctly.

The cheap airlines typically work on a hub and spoke system as it's cheaper for them, hence the one stop.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
Go and ask a travel agent, some times they can book flights you wouldn't have thought about or don't know exist and aren't always more expensive than a poorly thought out Internet booking especially if you aren't flying the same airline or booked from Mel to HKT on the one ticket...

If you need to make a stop, I'd prefer to do that in Australia, so the JQ Mel-Syd Syd -Hkt would be better than transferring an an unfamiliar airport etc...
Good advice.

A good travel agent is an asset to any frequent (or infrequent) traveller!

I only use the net as a guide when buying tickets. I have often not found favourable flights at favourable prices only for my agent to find better and cheaper on her computer.

Hell... my agent came to my wedding ;)

Plus.. nothing beats personal service IMO.

Edit: And she is in Melb ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

cheers guys, i was trying to load this thread, but by that time I had already booked the flight lol,

so it cost me 1,200(inc. travel insurance)
melb > bris
bris > phuket

and return..
phuket > perth
perth > melb

I was tempted to pay Qantas, they were wanting $1.500 for dates that were ok, but oh well, 2 full weeks in phuket, as long as I get there.. with pacific blue..

I still rather Qantas because in the past I've never faulted them.. always were reliable

any one have some feed back regarding pacific blue ?? (virgin)

I will either book accom when I get there, or book before I leave, see how I go lol

Last edited by kyro_02; 05-11-2010 at 06:18 AM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 06:39 AM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

Yeah I'd have booked. Another airline as you'll be flying on a 737 all the way, not really an aircraft you can get up and walk around in, like traveling there in a small hatch back compared to a large wagon... You'll get there just fine
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post