Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-12-2010, 01:53 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile AMG posts record sales in Australia in 2010

AMG posts record sales in Australia in 2010
Toby Hagon
December 21, 2010

The circa-$150,000 C63A AMG was Mercedes-Benz's highest selling performance car in 2010.
Mercedes-Benz's performance division has notched up its 1000th sale for 2010.

It seems Australians can't get enough V8-powered luxury performance cars, with Mercedes-Benz posting an annual record for sales of its AMG models.

The luxury maker today sold its 1000th Mercedes-Benz AMG more than a week before the end of the year, representing almost 6 per cent of passenger car sales.

The 1000th car cost more than $500,000 and was a matte black SLS "Gullwing" with one-off red badging and paint highlights.

However, half of the AMG sales have been the $150,000 C63 AMG, which has the 6.2-litre V8 fitted to the compact C-Class body.

All current AMG models are powered by V8 engines and Mercedes-Benz is in the process of introducing a new twin-turbocharged V8 to the range. It recently appeared in the flagship CL63 AMG.

"The performance of AMG in Australia Pacific is absolutely fantastic," said AMG director branding and marketing Mario Spitzner. "We regard Australia as one of the most important and loyal AMG markets in the world and we congratulate the more than one thousand new AMG owner's down under for helping us achieve this milestone.

With a rush of new AMG models due next year Spitzner hinted there was a lot more to come.

"I don't want to give away too much but you haven't seen the last of special vehicles from the AMG Performance Studio."

Old 23-12-2010, 01:56 AM   #2
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, I still see alot more ///M cars on the road

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
However, half of the AMG sales have been the $150,000 C63 AMG, which has the 6.2-litre V8 fitted to the compact C-Class body.
I wish I was one of those sales. What a car. What an ENGINE.

If I ever win Tattslotto I will head straight to a Mercedes dealer, drive my car through the showroom window, leave the car parked where it is, pay for all the repair costs, hand over my old keys and leave in one of these brand new. Actually I'd rather a Black. Or both.
Old 23-12-2010, 02:25 AM   #4
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never really been a fan of Mercedes. The new generation I am liking. And the C63 is amazing. To listen to.Look at.And be in
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It's an amazing package, that's the styling cues the get should have, aggressive but restrained.

I'd go the m3 simply because of the normal manual option which afaik is not available in the c63.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

I've seen a few AMGs on the road these days. The sound the 6.3 litre makes is amazing.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ah I meant to say it's what the gte should look like, this Ipad is about to go through the window.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #8
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Im not suprised a few guys in my local area have gone into C63's after years of HSV ownership, parked next to one the otherday with the multispoke wheels and Cream leather the other day, really just didn't want to stop looking at it.

Good on AMG for gaining some real ground in Australia, if i had the money i'd be there in a heartbeat.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm more of a BMW Fan... But the C63AMG is just fantastic. Would love one in black.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:16 AM   #10
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not surprised, they are absolutely EVERYWHERE in the Hills District in Sydney. There's quite a few M3's driving around too, not just the coupe but a fair few 4-doors too.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not in the slightest bit surprised, i see C63's everywhere, i see more C63's in my area than HSV/FPV's combined... without a word of a lie.

Old 23-12-2010, 11:26 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the first decade of the 21st century has been a bonanza for performance V8++ enthusiasts in Australia.

W63 AMG, M3/M5/M6, ISF, GT/P/E, Clubsport/GTS/W427, RS4/RS5 just to name a few.

I wonder what the next decade will bring.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:41 AM   #13
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Electronic speed limiters factory fitted to every single car sold in Australia i'll bet.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Electronic speed limiters factory fitted to every single car sold in Australia i'll bet.
Yes they do have the standard speed limiters that are fitted by default in their native countries.

Are you needing to exceed 250 or 270km/h somewhere?

Not a problem they can be turned off, the same way they are if requested in their country or origin.

Which one are you buying?
Old 23-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #15
FPVSutto
Finally got it......

I believe that..... in my area they are as common as Commodores.
09 F6 #679 - Viper
FPVSutto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I'm not in the slightest bit surprised, i see C63's everywhere, i see more C63's in my area than HSV/FPV's combined... without a word of a lie.
Yep, school drop off was a euro hot version covention in Bayside Melb...more common then fake blondes....er.. correction actually directly proportional.
It's heart breaking to see an SL65 AMG get parallel parked nose in first and hit the gutter because of driver non-skill.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 23-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
Interesting, I still see alot more ///M cars on the road
They're not real M car's those ones with an M badge stuck to the side of 325i or whatever you see. Only M car that's been available new in Oz this year is the M3, X5M, X6M. Bmw need to step up with some grunt. Will see what the 1M brings next year.

Good job AMG. Plenty of Amg's on the road.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 09:19 PM   #18
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T
They're not real M car's those ones with an M badge stuck to the side of 325i or whatever you see. Only M car that's been available new in Oz this year is the M3, X5M, X6M. Bmw need to step up with some grunt. Will see what the 1M brings next year.

Good job AMG. Plenty of Amg's on the road.
335i MSport, 330D MSport........

Just sticking a badge on a standard car with upgraded brakes, suspension, engine tune, body kit and interior goodies etc. is how most performance marques are built.

Or is a FPV GT not a "real" GT?
Old 23-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AMGs do not interest me all that much - though I do acknowledge that they are very nice cars. Then again, for the price you pay, I'd expect that.
But it goes to show that either people are after superior engineering and motoring, or they just need something better than their friends, to go with their McMansion.

I live in Glen Waverley. 3-4 years ago, we were top 5 for BMW ownership due to the wealthy Chinese that are flocking to the area.
I hope that AMG buyers really appreciate their car and don't just get it for show.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post