Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 28-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #31
OZF6
Starter Motor

I buy Supercheap tools, what is it, supaworks? some of thats decent gear. I buy air freshener and trinkets there. everything else I either go to my local Autobarn ( they have a rare spares down stairs and its like a trip down memory lane, waste 35 mins there every time just lookin` )

Or, i go to my local repco. Becuase, they HAVE IT. I tried to buy a locking cap for my BF one tonner, 100 bucks worth of petrol and no lock? I don`t think so Tim. Supercheap: aww no mate gotta order it, over 50 bucks too.. Autobarn same answer $48.

Local repco, yeah mate there they are, 22 dollars.. lol I bought a big **** Diamond T box for one tonner the day I picked it up, they retailed for 600+ I was arsey on sale cause of Bathurst and EVERYTHING was 20% orf.

But mainly, if I want it, who ever has it gets my money. Life`s too short.
Old 28-12-2010, 10:09 PM   #32
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Old 28-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #33
sxckevo
Ford motor company

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
are you the funniest forum member alive.... i vote yes

WORK CAR: RED 1996 manual XG ute
Old 28-12-2010, 10:54 PM   #34
FgNewbie
Australia

Setting retail prices is fun.
Invoice cost plus 10%.
Add another 50% because you want to make money.
Double it because you stubbed your toe.
Knock off a few dollars to get a price point.
Double it again so you can give your regulars 10%
Divide by your birthday & double it.
Have a SALE so you actually sell some and still make 300%

Oh wait, that might be jewellery.
Old 28-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #35
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supercheap are having a "25% OFF EVERYTHING" Sale on the 2nd January .. Oh, and don't blame me if it's not true ..

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1605048
Old 28-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #36
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Old 28-12-2010, 11:16 PM   #37
FgNewbie
Australia

robjh80 read eman's post on the link you provided
Old 28-12-2010, 11:24 PM   #38
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Wouldn't a 'storewide' sale of up to 50% mean that everything has at least SOME discount? I'm not buying that explanation that it could be 0% off. 'Storewide' means some discount on EVERY item. Granted, it may be 5% on some items right up to the 50%. There would have to be some sort of disclaimer e.g. quite often stores like Kmart, Target etc have 15% of 'storewide' excluding Apple products, consoles etc. Did Supercheap have this disclaimer? If they didn't, you certainly have a point. There should have been SOME sort of discount, even 1% to be a true 'storewide' sale.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
Old 28-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #39
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There should have been SOME sort of discount, even 1% to be a true 'storewide' sale.
Er um... no.... if the add says... UP TO 50% it means it starts at 0.... to 50.
As been explained by others on here.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 28-12-2010, 11:59 PM   #40
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
I understand that. However, if a store hangs their hat on something so pedantic, why call it a 'storewide' sale? Why not say, SOME items up to 50% off? 'Up to' infers you are getting SOME sort of discount when it is called 'storewide'. 0% is not a discount. This is retail, not criminal law. A bit sad if we have to look at technicalities in post Xmas sales. Once again; 0 is nothing, you are not getting 0% off. Why do stores (as I explained) include disclaimers when not every item is discounted? Why wasn't this applied here?
Old 29-12-2010, 12:00 AM   #41
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
BTW you addressed the first part of my post, and not the rest.
Old 29-12-2010, 12:05 AM   #42
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Actually the OP has a point.

"IF" the ad said up to 50% STOREWIDE, , they should have to show a saving on everything in the store.

Yes, it could be .05% off the price of the rotors, but if the ad said storewide and there were no mentioned exceptions, then he has a point....

Craig
Old 29-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #43
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Actually the OP has a point.

"IF" the ad said up to 50% STOREWIDE, , they should have to show a saving on everything in the store.

Yes, it could be .05% off the price of the rotors, but if the ad said storewide and there were no mentioned exceptions, then he has a point....

Craig
Exactly Craig. This is the point.
Old 29-12-2010, 12:15 AM   #44
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It is sneaky advertising I think.

Up to does in my estimation imply that all stock is discounted in some way. Storewide should actually mean across the whole store. What the actual discount on individual items is of course totally up for grabs, as determined by the store, but I reckon it's fair enough that every item has some discount.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 29-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #45
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supacheap may or may not have a special on 85W-140.

It can stop whining in a differential so I wonder if it would work in this thread.

FFS, marketing is the art of extracting money from people by convincing them that they are being clever and saving.

1000 days interest free, up to 120% off store-wide, your local shop may have lots or none at all, the fresh food people, goes better, etc etc etc are designed to trick you into spending more than you should on crap you really should not buy.

Do you REALLY think that the big shiny shops with hundreds of employees and constant television advertising are always selling at huge discounts, cost or less just to give you a bargain?

REALLY?

Just learn from the experience.........
Old 29-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #46
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im not arguing that its sneaky or misleading...
But the fact remains, UP TO 50% means 0 to 50....
So what that it says storewide?? 0% on most of the items is... storewide.

A Nissan dealer used to advertise here for well over 15yrs... UP TO $2000 MINIMUM trade. Again its misleading, but he means you could get from $0 to $2000 as a MINIMUM. ZERO being the minimum!!! not $2000....

Old 29-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #47
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Looks like Mitre10 got done for it. Not sure what Supercheaps advertising campaign was tho.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/887995
Old 29-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #48
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

I only go to supercheap for cheap little things like thinners and oil etc. When I was getting parts for redoing my head gaskets on my 351 I asked the supercheap chick if they have a gasket kit to suit a 351 cleveland. Her reply was "is that a holden or ford". I laughed a little and let her continue for a bit then said dont worry about it and walked out. Went to Auto one and they had a kit in stock for a decent price. I like repco and privately owned places the best..they usually have what you want or can get it in overnight and cheap. Plus you can have a yarn about cars

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

Old 29-12-2010, 12:49 AM   #49
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74_XB_Ute
Looks like Mitre10 got done for it. Not sure what Supercheaps advertising campaign was tho.

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.../itemId/887995

No that is different... MITRE 10 advertised 20% off EVERYTHING as opposed to... UP TO 20% off storewide.
The drama was there was certain items which were excluded in the sale but they werent made public to people who thought it was a 20% everything...

Old 29-12-2010, 12:53 AM   #50
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belial
Ha Ha, you went into "Super Cheap", I will only go there when I get a catalogue in the mail stating X brand oil at $X.
There are Super Cheap for a reason...
I gave up when in the past I asked for a set of brake pads for a XB..
"Sorry, they are a buy in."
I tried for a Thermostat to suit a 351c
I asked for a pair of rocker cover gaskets to fit a 351c

But they had fluro lights, "Calibre" brand guages and rolls of fake checker plate on the shelf....

Leave it for the "P" plate guy's with a simple late 80's car, to be dressed up to impress each other.

If you want brakes: Hoppers Stoppers
If you want parts: Burson's and Repco
If you want the good *****: GT Ford Performance

Repco are currently 25% off storewide.
I bought a trolley jack that had a shelf price of $197, it was on display for $162 and less discount about $110....
get a newer model old man!
Old 29-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #51
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

You'll find in these situations that there is a range of oil filters, some light bulbs and maybe some seat covers that are 50% off, and the rest of the store will be up to about 10%. These sort of things are called Loss Leaders.

The 50% off gets you into the store, where they hope you will buy heaps of other impulse items standing in front of the shelf. In up to 75% of cases, a decision to purchase a product is made in front of the shelf, and is an impulse buy. That is why they have those handy little tools and stuff hanging on clips around the aisle, because for $2 why not buy that cheap set of vice grips? it is these purchases that are an up-sell to the store and long out weigh the % that you get off the part you went in there to buy.

Unfortunately, it is a fact that if you really want something, in most cases, you will end up just having to pay for it. I see where you are coming from, and why you are disappointed, but this sort of marketing spin is everywhere. Chances are that if you go to a proper auto parts store, they will be cheaper than the discounted Supercheap pricing anyway, and they may even stock them!
Old 29-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #52
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
You da man
Old 29-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #53
FgNewbie
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
You da man
awww shux Daz, I'll blush (edit: I tossed one back)

Mite 10 reportedly got nailed by the ACCC in 2001 as well as 2009.

I looked into my crystal ball.

I think it is only a matter of time (years?) before the ACCC take issue with "storewide up to x%". I imagine they will dictate when "storewide" is used, a minimum % must be declared. Some places already do it. Some places add a stack of T&C.

I believe the momentum to act will come when the vocal majority agree with the OP.

I'll sit on the fence and get splinters.

Quote:
What is misleading & deceptive conduct?
There is a very broad provision in the Trade Practices Act that prohibits conduct by a corporation that is misleading or deceptive, or would be likely to mislead or deceive you.

It makes no difference whether the business intended to mislead or deceive you—it is how the conduct of the business affected your thoughts and beliefs that matters.

If the overall impression left by an advertisement, promotion, quotation, statement or other representation made by a business creates a misleading impression in your mind—such as to the price, value or the quality of any goods and services—then the conduct is likely to breach the law.
On 1 January 2011 the Trade Practices Act 1974 will be renamed the Competition and Consumer Act 2010
Old 29-12-2010, 01:41 AM   #54
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

not a fan of supercheap they are more and more like the reject shop with a slight auto twist everyday

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 29-12-2010, 01:43 AM   #55
74_XB_Ute
See..Everybody Loves Ford

Quote:
No that is different... MITRE 10 advertised 20% off EVERYTHING as opposed to... UP TO 20% off storewide.
The drama was there was certain items which were excluded in the sale but they werent made public to people who thought it was a 20% everything...
Ahh...good point Jim. Looking at the Supercheap catalouge its actually a Stocktake Sale and not a Storewide sale like Puffin Fresh said. So maybe the store that Puffin Fresh went to buggered up their signage.
Old 29-12-2010, 01:44 AM   #56
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by FgNewbie
Setting retail prices is fun.
Invoice cost plus 10%.
Add another 50% because you want to make money.
Double it because you stubbed your toe.
Knock off a few dollars to get a price point.
Double it again so you can give your regulars 10%
Divide by your birthday & double it.
Have a SALE so you actually sell some and still make 300%

Oh wait, that might be jewellery.
i like your thinking but i think jewellery is 2000%.........

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
Old 29-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #57
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Upto means (as pointed out earlier) that some things are 50% others are less & somethings are 0%. It is up to the customer to enquire as to whether the items they wish to purchase are on sale. Sorry to say but the OP is much like the general public. Its always someone elses fault when they do not read/understand/enquire over what the sign says. The onus is on the customer clarrify what the sign means not the store.

Same as when we didnt sell phone credit for 3 years at the servo, people would pass the Four signs on the door, two at the counter, one on top of the cigarette cabinet, & still ask straight out "can I have $30 of Optus Credit". In my mind I would say "yep another ####ing idiot who cant read, we have all these ###ing signs, dont you ####ing have eyes?". Out of my mouth would come "Sorry we havent sold phone credit in 3 years".

So sorry, you made a goose out of yourself.

While you were walking away saying:
"Supercheap what a scam"
The staff were saying:
*Scoff/Laugh* "What an idiot. Its obvious he cant read. It says 0-50% off store wide. Not 50% of EVERYTHING"

Moral of the story. Always read & understand the fine print. If you don't: ASK.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Old 29-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #58
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

marketing is a game you need to pay full attention to, it may seem unfair at times but that's life, keep your eye on the ball. we're done here before the thread implodes with pointless posts
Closed Thread