Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #31
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Swapping Landau Vehicle I.d. Tags!?

well eat my ferkin boot... just rang vehicle standards SA and apparently it IS very ferkin naughty.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #32
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Will have to ring Vicroads and find out if it is the same in VIC
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #33
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Well I called VicRoads and was told that if you remove the compliance plates, they must be put back EXACTLY where they were removed from.

If they suspect any "foul play" they will further investigate your car.

I then asked the very polite woman at Vicroads if it was illegal. She informed me that she didn't know and it was best to ask my local police station...which I did.

Now, the Sargent informed me, that as my car is unregistered, and not driveable, it was okay for me to remove my compliance plates during my rebuild, as long as they go straight back onto the car after painting and in the same place they were removed and must be re-attached with pop rivets.

As for the whether it is illegal or not on a registered car, he has given me a number to call in the morning so that I can get a copy of the documentation on the laws regarding this issue.

Sorry to be so long winded however, I wanted to know exactly where I stand as I do not want to be breaking any laws.

Will keep you updated when I find the publication of the law, of what law reference it is, so you can all read it yourselves.

Cheers
Col

Last edited by Geez Louise; 12-04-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Geez Louise is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #34
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is info found here.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11310086
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 07:40 PM   #35
JG65TE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

U do all the good stuff Col. i been takin my tags off for years, painting and puttin em back on. Falcons are easy coz they just use normal pop rivits. Holdens use a weird rivit, but lo and behold u can buy em on ebay..... Like the other bloke said any car that has had a decent paint job has had the tags off it. I have seen a torana that had an inch shaved off the inner bay lip where the number is and the the nmber part welded back in if u understand ?. I personally watched it pass rwc and rego. As for missing engine blocks , there used to be a site for that somewhere..........
JG65TE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #36
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XB GS,
Thanks for the tip regarding my mates naughty behaviour regarding his guns
Denoting it on a public forum , well whats the harm
He has just had a wee holiday for a loaded gun in a dresser draw
Besides , i didnt say his name , or even my name
No harm

edit:
He had a holiday as well for near beating a bloke to death with a baseball bat
Baseball bats are legal

Anyway back to this rather interesting topic
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #37
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
so it is naughty.. but not really.. really naughty as we dont have shady intentions.....
Old 12-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #38
XA GS Ute

I'm going to start parting out my car that I've just spent 3 years building since the compliance plates are in my cupboard at home & it's illegal to put them back on.
Anyone for cheap genuine XA GT parts?
What a crock.
XA GS Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA GS Ute
I'm going to start parting out my car that I've just spent 3 years building since the compliance plates are in my cupboard at home & it's illegal to put them back on.
Anyone for cheap genuine XA GT parts?
What a crock.
how much for the plates.......................
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #40
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally I do not see any problem with taking the plates off and putting them back on. If it only to restore the car.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:50 PM   #41
Kingsley
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Panel shops used to be legally allowed to re-shell vehicles way back when. By re-shell I mean order a new shell from factory and re-stamp the body with the original shell being totally destroyed. I don't think that happens much anymore since insurance companies find it easier to write the car off. Funnily enough I have a relative who still has a full stamp kit from those days.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:58 PM   #42
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

it's illegal in qld to remove compliance plates whether the car is rego'ed or not. A policeman was kind enough to point it out to me about 15 years ago and i have read this somewhere lately. The cop back then noticed the plates in my tool box near the car which was being preped for paint, he said it didn't matter its illegal none the less but commonsense won that day after he checked them against the car and all was good.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 PM   #43
xp_ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige

gold
xp_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 09:32 PM   #44
Geez Louise
Awesome

I read the re-bodying article that was posted awhile ago (great read!), however it does not state whether it is illegal in Victoria to remove compliance plates, if they are being re-fitted.

I was looking into this more for my own curiousity than anything else, however if I can get a clear, direct answer on the laws in Victoria, then I am happy to share that. I just want to post correct information as so many times information posted is not 100% right.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM   #45
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

If it's illegal to remove compliance plates and re-attach them back to the car they come from, how many people out there are in the deep end? Plenty I'd imagine.

As for S.A. it might not be compliance plate related, but 10 years ago, I had to do some rust repairs in the firewall of a 200B, right near the body number. I had to actually cut the body number out of the firewall to repair the rust.

I rang Regency park about these repairs, prior to starting the repairs, just to see where I stood regarding the removal of the body number. Their answer. Bring the piece of metal, with the body number attached and car, before painting and they'll issue me with another body number.

Don't know whether it's changed or not, but if we use this as an example, looks like I'd be in the hotel on the hill by now.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #46
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if you have a genuine GT that is badly damaged, including the area around the plate, what are you supposed to do, destroy the tag and forget about it?
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2011, 10:42 PM   #47
XA GS Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Here's a picture of me for the last 5 mins
XA GS Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 10:45 AM   #48
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFGXR6
Funnily enough I have a relative who still has a full stamp kit from those days.
So do a LOT of other people, used to be able to buy them from most tool shops in the 70's and 80's as thats where Ford bought them.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 11:02 AM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK250
So if you have a genuine GT that is badly damaged, including the area around the plate, what are you supposed to do, destroy the tag and forget about it?
Probably legally...
I've heard two different stories over the years on a few occasions. One is the old "it's absolutely illegal to move the plate under any circumstances", and the other is "yes it can be removed, say for body repairs or repainting, but it has to be replaced exactly where it was with pop rivets, not screws"...in between the two extremes was a lot of humming and hahhing about whether you could or not.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #50
Geez Louise
Awesome

Exactly. That is why I wanted to check for myself. It appears it may be a "grey area"

I have left a message for a call back. Will see what happens
Old 13-04-2011, 07:44 PM   #51
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
So do a LOT of other people, used to be able to buy them from most tool shops in the 70's and 80's as thats where Ford bought them.

Used to be able to. More like, you still can. Do an ebay search for starters.

I also know of a place in the Northern Burbs of Adelaide that sells them too.

Whether they're legal to have, I don't know

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
Old 26-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #52
Sprint XR8

Another **** smoker selling coupe id tags.
Quote:
HERE IS A FACTORY XA FAIRMONT COUPE ID PLATE ONE OF THE VERY FIRST HARDTOPS MADE AFTER THE XY'S LOOK AT THE BUILD DATE 9-72 THE MODEL NUMBER IS 18217 FAIRMONT HARDTOP ALLTHOUGH IT IS STAMPED SEDAN THE MODEL NUMBER CORRASPONDS WITH FORDS MODEL CODE BODY TYPE REFERENCE CHECK IT OUT THE NUMBERS DONT LIE !! THE CAR IS LONG GONE DESTROYED SOME 15 YRS AGO THIS PLATE IS ORIGINAL AND VERY RARE CHEERS PETE ANY Q'S 0438XXXXXX
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XA-FAIRMONT-C...#ht_500wt_1069
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #53
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1K for an ID plate !!!
This joker for real
He got a little heads up regarding it
I wonder how long itll take for the add to be removed
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #54
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say it comes down to two types of people "replacing tags".
First is the illegal kind...like guys selling ID plates on Ebay and so on. they should be hammered hard.

But second is someone restoring or repairing thier car, and taking the plates off and putting them back on. Keep your trap shut and go ahead and do it.

Probably a third could possibly be someone "rebodying" a car. Doesn't happen as much as it used to, as mentioned above. However, if you have a good shell, and your car is rusted beyond economical repair, it gets done and no one is the wiser. Of course if you're doing it to cover up a stolen car, thats another issue.

As for rivetting on the ID plate, the one in our 1957 Morris Minor is held on with two small screws. I was pulled over at a Transport Department roadside vehicle check, and they wanted a look at the mod plate for the disc brakes and seat belts. The guy noticed the ID plate was screwed on, and proceeded to do all sorts of checks of the vehicle to make sure something funny wasn;t going on. He wouldn't believe that manufacturers used to screw on body ID plates.
I ran into the same problem with the lack of a compliance plate on my '74 kawasaki triple more than once...motorbikes didn't have to have any more than a simple sticker on the headstock until well into the eighties, and a couple of times I almost got put off the road because of no "compliance plate" on it.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #55
faircoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeXB
Another **** smoker selling coupe id tags.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XA-FAIRMONT-C...#ht_500wt_1069
Just reported in now to ebay.Its a breach of their policy to list them.I have reported quite a few of them and the usually take them down pretty quick.
faircoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #56
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Probably a third could possibly be someone "rebodying" a car. However, if you have a good shell, and your car is rusted beyond economical repair, it gets done and no one is the wiser.

Here's where the problem starts. If you have a car that has body stamps, identifying the vehicle, changing ID tags isn't going to keep you out of the deepend. Restamping a body is illegal. Pure and simple. Get caught and make sure the soap is on the rope.

Old 27-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #57
mad-xa

i was actually watching that i.d plate to seehow long it took to be removed from ebay funny stuff....
mad-xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #58
efi65

regarding having stamps i found out the hard way it is illegal to have number's and letter's unless you are a bussines making trailer's and so on. and if you are worried about about your rare ride being a rebirth have a good look around your car car maker's dont only put one set of number's on a car, there are other number's stamped in the body work, it's just a good thing the low life scum doing the rebirthing dont really know about this. and with the removing the id tags for resto work the local sarg said it is a real grey area, but said that if what was done for an honest resto and not for any other reason he wont have a problem, he has come out and seen the car and jotted some thing's down in his little note book and told me to connect him again when the tags are ready to go back on so he can see me do it in person
efi65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post