Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
popster
Starter Motor

Thumbs down Noisy Clatter from Fiesta WT Auto

I have a WT Auto Fiesta which has done 1000 kms. The car developed a clatter in the transmission which the dealer claims is normal for the double clutch auto but agreed to service the car and said that reflashing the transmission computer module has fixed the problem. This noise is now much worse and the car now suffers from erratic gear changes. The dealer claims that they cannot do any more to fix this problem.

I did refer the problem to Ford Customer Service and they called back and told me that they had contacted the Dealer and was told that there is no problem - "so much" for Ford Customer Service.

This noise was not evident in the car at the time of purchase.

Has any other owner had this noise problem and any suggestions as to next course of action.

popster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
somers181

Default Re: Noisy Clatter from Fiesta WT Auto

When is the noise happening??? I had some issues with the auto box in my WT when purchased in January this year but it was more to do with surging in peak hour traffic which it still does on occaission, never had any noises and have now done over 8,000kms........ if it persists advise the dealer you will go to consumer affairs or NSW Fair Trading and watch how fast things should start moving.....
Old 05-07-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
popster
Starter Motor

Thanks Somers181 for your reply. The noise occurs mainly at low revs and appears to be the transmission searching for gear. The noise can be just one or two clicks or sometimes maybe 6 or more. The noise is quite audible and can be heard clearly above the engine revving.

The dealer allowed me to drive a car with only a few km's on the clock and the transmission did give a small click in the gear change which I concede may be indicative of this type of dual clutch but he then suggested that this new car might sound like mine when it has done 1000 kms. God help the future of auto Fiestas if this is the case.
popster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
trumpy73

One thing I would say is unless there's a really obvious fault with the car, try to ignore 'small' noises, clicks, rattles, clunks etc until you've done 10,000k. I had all sorts of minor issues when the vehicle was new but a lot of it seems to have disappeared when I hit 10k.
Example
1. Whiny noise from engine bay when idling
2. Clunky 3rd gear
3. Squeal when depressing clutch fully first thing in the morning.
4. Engine ping

The first 3 are gone. The 4th is work in progress at this stage. I'm guessing things need some time to settle in.
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
Caydus

Yea, i've noticed some weird quirks with the gearbox too.

Couple days ago, someone cut me off as i was exiting a roundabout, so i had to hit the brake pretty hard from a heavy accelleration. Since we were on a ramp up to a freeway i had to put my foot down to get back up to speed again. For about 3/4 a second, nothing happened after i tried to accellerate, then the car lurched forward really, really bloody hard.

Sudden brakes from accelleration and back again seem to confuse the DSG to no end.
Caydus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caydus
Yea, i've noticed some weird quirks with the gearbox too.

Couple days ago, someone cut me off as i was exiting a roundabout, so i had to hit the brake pretty hard from a heavy accelleration. Since we were on a ramp up to a freeway i had to put my foot down to get back up to speed again. For about 3/4 a second, nothing happened after i tried to accellerate, then the car lurched forward really, really bloody hard.

Sudden brakes from accelleration and back again seem to confuse the DSG to no end.
That definitely sounds like it's just finding a gear.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 AM   #7
caprispecial

The fiesta auto can sound busy in the first two gears but from third on should be pretty quiet.
Not having heard your car its hard to say if there is a problem or not. If the dealer says its ok then why not just keep driving? If something is really wrong it will eventualy get worse or break and then the dealer will have to fix it. And as you have done the right thing and reported your concerns, then they wont be able to blame you.
If people come to the powershift(dsg) expecting it to be as smooth as a torque converter type auto then there will be some things to get used to. All up tho the new box is a far better thing than the old tech. (no loss of power and much better economy). All the reports ive read on the box about how it was designed and tested indicate that it will last a very long time.
caprispecial is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
somers181

Just a quick note on above comments re: "no loss of power..." this seems to be one area that is a constant when the system seems to take a few seconds from when you either hit the brakes or the accellerator too quickly. Not for the first time, last week driving through a roundabout i had to slam on the brakes due to some fool not knowing how to drive and then needed to accellerate quickly there was a good 4 -5 seconds where the car just seems to sit and do nothing and then all of a sudden you take off......... this seems to be a regular occurence when you need to act fast to avoid an accident and you need to be moving and the car is not responding....... my WT is 7 months old with 8,500kms and this is still happening and was told by Ford that this is a characteristic of the powershift box..........
Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 PM   #9
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

If Ford stated this noise was "normal" then pray tell why would they try and fix the "problem"? I think your own initial thread answers your own question. Take the car to Ford and don't accept it back until it is fixed. If they refuse go to Fair Trading.

Unfortunately, as you look around this Fiesta site, you will realise that the quality of Fords cars and customer service is horrendous.

Good luck - you'll need it as Ford will stonewall you.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM   #10
Fiestaman

There shouldn't be any excessively loud noises. My gearbox has about a 2 second whine (sounds like a servo motor ) in changing from 2nd to third plus some other slight noises in lower ratios. Not really noticeable to many people but I'm picky so I hear them. Also have slight jerks in between changes on occasion especially in low ratios (almost seems as if second clutch is engaging/disengaging).
Gear changes in 4th, 5th and 6th are super smooth and if you have the radio on the only way to detect a shift is looking at the tacho.
Also had a reflash of computer (refer previous post) which made gear changing better (changes at lower revs) and my fuel consumption has dropped from 7l/100km to 6.9l/100km.
Judging from what I have read here and overseas there are certain ways in which a dual clutch works that owners will have to live with.
Fiestaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2011, 12:14 AM   #11
j0lx
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by somers181
there was a good 4 -5 seconds where the car just seems to sit and do nothing and then all of a sudden you take off......... this seems to be a regular occurence when you need to act fast to avoid an accident and you need to be moving and the car is not responding....... my WT is 7 months old with 8,500kms and this is still happening and was told by Ford that this is a characteristic of the powershift box..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiestaman
Judging from what I have read here and overseas there are certain ways in which a dual clutch works that owners will have to live with.
It's very dangerous, and frustrating. I reckon when people start getting killed and their estate makes big claims, then maybe the car makers will listen and fix these kinds of problems, instead of trying to explain them away. INSTANT TACTILE RESPONSIVENESS *IS* #1 IN A CAR! Then you make the rest of the car around that principle! An unresponsive car is a killer in today's cut and thrust traffic with semi-trailer drivers acting like drift kings in peak hour sometimes...

Ford got the suspension, handling and braking of the Fiesta right in that regard. It's just that the DSG's hunting/slipping/coasting will eventually catch someone out in a fatal situation, for sure!
j0lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post