Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
fast gt

Default My dog

Hello all ive had to chain my dog (but i put his lead between him and the chain cos i thought the chain was to heavy and he is only on it for about 2 hours a day from the time my wife goes to work to the time i get home ) cos hes been getting out, but before i came to that decision i put bigger fences up. Any way he got out by breaking his lead then jumped the back fence ran around to the front of the house (to check we were gone) then turned around and went to jump the back fence to get back into the backyard. The back neighbour rang me and said " I have some bad news Elvis got out again"He then paused and said " and hes died, I went out for a couple of minutes came back and found him hanging from the fence but i saw him get out" (I just dont understand why he didnt ring me straight away and tell me that he got out I was only 2 minutes away) Anyway i got there and he was still hanging from the fence by his lead the bit that swivles and the neighbour didnt even try and help me get him off of the fence!!!!!!!!!! he also told me i had to calm down. Also another neighbour told me that he saw Elvis 10 minutes before i got there!!! It all sounds too suss because i know he didnt like Elvis as hes told me that before. Im just really sad,upset and angry. I just needed to vent. BTW this happened yesterday. I just need to know if im just reading to much into this or it really does sound suss

Last edited by fast gt; 04-11-2011 at 03:43 PM.
fast gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: My dog

mate unfortunately i've seen where dogs have hung themselves by their lead in the past. also seen where they've fallen out of a ute and dragged alongside the vehicle.

it wouldn't have taken long for him to die, so even being a few minutes away might not have made a difference.

sorry for your loss mate.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
BFZF8

Sorry for the loss of your dog, mate. Ultimately, it's up to you to keep your dog in your yard. I understand it must have been a traumatic experience but your neighbour really doesn't have an obligation to provide you with a minute by minute description of what your dog is doing when he escapes or be responsible for what happens to him.

I've had neighbours who were hostile to my dogs but I found the best way to shut them up was not to give them a reason to complain. If you decide to get another dog, I can give you a steer to some sites to show you how to properly chain a dog or give you some other containment options or ideas.

Like the previous poster says, it's not uncommon for dogs to hang themselves on fences by leads or chains.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

That's horrible, sorry to hear that mate.
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear of your loss, chin up. I know its hard to do but let it go,try not to over analyze, whats done is done, we cant turn back the hands of time. I lost my German Shepard this year and i come to tears every time i talk about him so i understand your pain. All the best mate.

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
fast gt

Thanks for all your kind words. Its hard cos he was only 3 and still warm when i got to him. I can see your point about the neighbour. I just thought that he had my number so he could have at least told me he got out. I know its not his responsibility but he saw his lead attached to him he could have just rang and said he is out. He knows we have been doing everything in our power to keep him in. Considering he rang me straight away when his plants got wrecked thats how i knew he got out the 2nd time. I would have if my neighbours dog got out. As i said im just having a rant. Just a very hurt rant
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Unfortunately sometimes what you think is a fair response or action is not always what everybody thinks is fair, and this might be one of those times.

Always a terrible thing to lose a good friend like a dog but nothing to say a new best mate is just around the corner.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #8
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's bloody horrible fast gt. Sorry to hear.
I guess something was bound to happen to him one day with what Elvis did when you went out. Dont blame your neighbour for it because as I said something was bound to happen one day. There is always a 'what if this, what if that' that could have prevented it happenning but you have to clear your mind and look at it all when much calmer. Your definitely analyzing it all too much from what you have said, and whilst your too emotional about it. Nevertheless, good to get it off your chest. This is why I have 2 dogs, to keep each other company whilst away at work.
R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2011, 11:48 PM   #9
fast gt

I had 2 dogs aswell now ones dead :( Im sure in a couple of days ill be thinking clearer. Thanks for all you advise.