Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
ayman

Default LED Low beam legal in NSW?

Hi everyone, just spent so much money on HID kits and now I convinced that they're illegal, viewing the ADR recommendation, looks like it must have self levelling and a cleaning device.
My car has a driver controlled manual level controller as well as washer for the headlights. I just found some new 13W LED H7 LED globes which will be bright enough and convenient to use in the low beam setting. Having a look at the "Appendix B", at the ADR recommendation, a line that I was not fully understand.

"Paragraph 6.2.9., amend to read:

"6.2.9. Other requirements

….

Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. 8/

With respect to vertical inclination the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. above shall not be applied for dipped-beam headlamps:

(a) with LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam, or

(b) with a light source producing the principal dipped beam and having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen.

Only dipped-beam headlamps according to .… "

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F20...c1187743009457

So does that mean they're talking about >2000 lumenous flow LED and other light devices for use in low beam? or just plain ANY LED used as the low beam?????

Please have a look at comlaw website as teh Appendix B is an ammendment of the cluster 6.2.9:

"6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps.

Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source having an objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. 7/ In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provisions of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. above shall not be applied.

Only dipped-beam headlamps according to Regulations Nos. 98 or 112 may be used to produce bend lighting.

If bend lighting is produced by a horizontal movement of the whole beam or the kink of the elbow of the cut-off, it shall be activated only if the vehicle is in forward motion; this shall not apply if bend lighting is produced for a right turn in right hand traffic (left turn in left hand traffic)."

This is the item I think it would do the job for me:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180611769...84.m1439.l2649

ayman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LED Low beam legal in NSW?

I wouldn't even bother with an LED as your main Low beam bulb, you will most likely find the light output to be abysmal. Just get some good halogen bulbs, or stick with the HID's you have purchased, yes they may be illegal but if you just get 4300-6000k temperature, you shouldn't run into any problems.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:04 PM   #3
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Nate
I wouldn't even bother with an LED as your main Low beam bulb, you will most likely find the light output to be abysmal. Just get some good halogen bulbs, or stick with the HID's you have purchased, yes they may be illegal but if you just get 4300-6000k temperature, you shouldn't run into any problems.
This! I bought LED's for my fogs and was surprised they only threw light out about 10 inches...HID is the way to go
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
ayman

Quote:
Something I read somewhere freaked me out: HID aftermarket makes the car not road worthy? I called my insurance, she said as like as the car is road worthy, we will cover accidents or so, but say if I head collided with a civic with a blue HID headlights, can I accuse the glare to affect me and get the other driver in trouble? I'm just giving an example.
Saying that, I was a happy kid while I was driving with my HID on, it's just the legality of it that made me put back tha halogen and think about other options.

I think 13w LED globe would exceed the normal 55w halogen, and yeah, I put 100w halogen before and almost melted the whole headlight wires so,
Old 29-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guess it just depends on your insurance company, some will ping you for not listing a CAI as some of your mods and refuse compensation for an accident.

On my insurance for the EB, I have listed all of the mods on the car, including the HID's and there isn't any issues with it.

What car are you wanting to put the new low beams in?
Old 29-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have 8,000k HIDs in my FG and two of my mates one with a VE SSV the other with a VY SS run 10,000k haven't run into any problems at all so far.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
ayman

for my wife's Volvo Xc60
Old 29-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #8
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO, I think 8000K is the limit for on road driving, 10000k is pretty silly as the light is just not suited for driving. Doesn't mean I wouldn't mind giving it a shot though ;)

Later down the track when I have an FG, I'm going to have 6000k in the lows, 3000k in the foglights and 8000k in the high beams, I reckon it'd be pretty good!
Old 29-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

Through work ive seen 3 types of LED head light globes. I came to the conclusion the light in my fridge is brighter

But seriously led arnt worth it. Have you trief the neww +100% globes that phillips have released? Awesome light, good range and a nice colour. All our customers with them love them
Old 29-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #10
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, well your XC60 should have a projector headlight assembly, which means you will practically have no trouble at all for HID's
Old 29-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #11
ayman

Quote:
Hmm, well your XC60 should have a projector headlight assembly, which means you will practically have no trouble at all for HID's
nope, reflector here and I love them.
took some photos few days ago compared original xenon to haolegn. Actually I can see further ahead with halogen lights. The xenon only throws more light on the nearby street. Hope the link works:
Run the mouse on the photos for some comments

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=D013B...A91A7C1B%21162
Old 30-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #12
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah okay, I must've been looking at overseas models then!

Wait so your car originally had xenons? Because I know of a few Volvos that did have factory xenons in the reflector housing.

From your pictures I reckon the first photo with the xenon's look better than the halogens, it seems to reflect more on oncoming signs etc. Or it could just be your camera, not too sure!
Old 30-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #13
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers to everyone buying HID bulbs and installing them in cars with lenses designed for filament bulbs.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
ayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
Cheers to everyone buying HID bulbs and installing them in cars with lenses designed for filament bulbs.
I'm convinced.

Ok how about Osram night breaker Vs Diamond vision Phillips? are they worth the hype?? Mainly after extra vision legally and if addition white colour that would be nice. I really hate the original halogen colour temperature.
Old 30-11-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
No worries, you're welcome!
Old 30-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman
I'm convinced.

Ok how about Osram night breaker Vs Diamond vision Phillips? are they worth the hype?? Mainly after extra vision legally and if addition white colour that would be nice. I really hate the original halogen colour temperature.
Most of the time with the Diamond vision globes etc, you lose a little bit of light output cause of the colour temp and still being a Halogen globe. It also depends on the cars reflector, the Volvo one might be good with it.