Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Getting my car registered?

Hey guys, firstly, don't laugh, my FG is my first car, and I've never registered a car before.

My question is what do I need to do to get it registered next month?

Due to my mothers passing not long ago, centrelink have decided to let me stay on a pension for awhile. So from my understanding I don't have to pay for rego or something like that?

From what I know, I need to get a green slip ( what ever that is ? ) and someone has to look at the car to make sure it's fine, then go to RTA.

Can someone please help me? Also, It's not insured as it's been a hard time and I let it slip, need to fix that back up though.

Can someone please help?

buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 
Default Re: Getting my car registered?

Im not sure about the pension part but the rest is pretty simple.
First up due to the cars age you dont need a car inspection.
Next step is the greenslip, basically a greenslip is insurance that covers the health of a third party (people other than yourself) so in the event of an accident your not liable for their medical bills, most car insurance providers will offer a greenslip service, so have you car and personal details ready, ring around for the best price and get the insurance. Then take your greenslip reciept to the rta (you cannot register a car without a greenslip) from there the rta will help you complete the neseccary forms.
Then rego is complete.
Old 27-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So will my car not being insured effect it in anyway?
Old 27-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at the registration renewal form does it say inspection required or not required??? that will dictate if you need to get the vehicle inspected (FG I wouldnt think would need one but it could be getting close on an early one)

you also need CTP (Green Slip) theres loads of options there just go to one of the online calculators and fill in the details to suit you and your situation.

once thats done you renew your registration, even though theres no money owing for that you still need to renew it.

BUT DONT DRIVE IT UNLESS A ITS REGISTERED AND B HAS ATLEAST 3RD PARTY PROPERTY COVER

sorry but letting the insurance laps isnt any good after you've just had metalic intercasue with some one

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And I should get that form thing in the mail yes? When I get that then I should start doing stuff, cause I haven't got anything yet and it runs out June 3
Old 27-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92
So will my car not being insured effect it in anyway?
not having any insurance will make the CTP Green slip more expencive, but IMHO you NEED to get the car insured even if its just 3rd party property I cant beleive this isnt compolsery as well,

Personaly if you cant afford to at least have 3rd party property you cant afford to have the car

Old 27-04-2012, 04:01 PM   #7
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
not having any insurance will make the CTP Green slip more expencive, but IMHO you NEED to get the car insured even if its just 3rd party property I cant beleive this isnt compolsery as well,

Personaly if you cant afford to at least have 3rd party property you cant afford to have the car
I have no idea if it's 3rd party insured or not. The place I bought the car were hopeless and would not explain anything to me when I asked for help.

And it's not that I can't afford it, it's just it was the last thing on my mind and I never paid it......
Old 27-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK heres the learners guide

CTP or green slip is 3rd party personal insurnace the wont let you register it with out proof that this has been paid. this covers the other person for injury in the event of an accident but does not cover either car.

3rd party property this covers the toehr persons preperty (Car fence house, whatever) but yout your car

Comprehencive insurance does every thing 3rd party property insurance does and also covers your car in the event its damaged or stolen.

so in short you need the CTP green slip as part of the rego and i STRONGLY recomend you also get comprehencive insurance or at the very least 3rd party property

Old 27-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

FIRST STEP: INSURANCE

SECOND STEP: everything else

Please don't skimp on insurance.

Ring the RTA or whatever they're called now and they will tell you everything you need to do in sequence.
Old 27-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I called NRMA and they agreed to re-new my insurance, which I just paid the $290 or what ever.

They cancelled my old one, and made a new one for me. So now I am fully covered, and have the windscreen option.

So that's that sorted.
Old 27-04-2012, 05:04 PM   #11
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Now when you get the rego papers in the mail(will be soon) buy greenslip and then once that's paid,go to the rta and pay them what they want.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #12
casabonka
You can call me Chris

If its due June 3, you usually get the docs 30 days or near abouts before.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post