Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #61
IDT
Marko

Default Re: 70 Series Landcruiser to die within 5 years

I don't know about Dodge Rams or Great Walls being used on sites but I can certainly tell you there are a shed load of Amaroks heading north in W.A.

Admittedly they are dual cabs, but if the interest extends to single cabs when they arrive, proper numbers and not dribs and drabs, you can expect to see them all over the place. As for fitters vehicles, cant say what way people will go but the new ranger doesn't mind getting its toes wet. I would certainly take one over the 70 series.
Old 15-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #62
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
is this hearsay again.. last time you drove a vehicle underground was.....

lol@classic internerd exsperts..
Okay my 5 cents worth...

Work on an open pit mine. Opened 2009 using hiluxes on a three year lease. Only two cruisers one a troopy for the surveyors the other a ute which the fitters drove around.

Forward to 2012.....

All the hiluxes are farked. Power steering racks, handbrakes, brakes, engines are gutless, all rusted out in the tray and the dash grain holds dirt.

As the tech manager I made a choice to buy both cruisers at the end of lease. Yeah I brought the fitters ute with 120,000km on the clock knowing it was better than pos hilux. And you know what it is still brilliant.

Surveyors troopy has 70,000 on it and has plowed through many a roadbund.

Yah they ain't the best driving but nothing else will handle the abuse.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #63
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
are you trolling.. i once had a focus as a loan car.. it was a pos..

we are talking mine site vehicles.. last time you dodged jumbos, boggers or dumpys was.....
What truck do you own? I love it when non-truck owners try to tell me how mine isn't as real truck.

Last edited by chevypower; 16-07-2012 at 02:17 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #64
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
What truck do you own? I love it when non-truck owners try to tell me how mine isn't as real truck.
ive owned plent of utes.. and driven plenty of real trucks...

not girly pickup trucks....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 06:39 AM   #65
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ive owned plent of utes.. and driven plenty of real trucks...

not girly pickup trucks....
I noticed you didn't answer the question, which is an answer in itself. You can like whatever you like, even if you don't own one, it's ok.
Old 16-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #66
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I noticed you didn't answer the question, which is an answer in itself. You can like whatever you like, even if you don't own one, it's ok.
I couldn't be bothered playing troll tennis with you.. it would be great if you actually had some minesite experience and posted in this thread accordingly..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #67
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:

ummm...i think he did...

Over here F250's and the like are called utes...

And trucks are these things...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #68
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I couldn't be bothered playing troll tennis with you.. it would be great if you actually had some minesite experience and posted in this thread accordingly..
If this threat was called "Minesite workers post here" then I would take your advice, but the fact is you don't own a truck. I was commenting on the truck that this thread is about because I have driven it. It's fine to talk about semi trailers, but unless you own one, it's stupid bragging about things you dont have.
Old 16-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #69
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
ummm...i think he did...

Over here F250's and the like are called utes...

And trucks are these things...

wow, they don't have those in America

He didn't answer the question. I asked "What truck do you own?" Look, he's a troll. He doesn't own a truck, just wants to compare what I own with what mines own. Mines certainly don't have XB Falcons.

Last edited by chevypower; 16-07-2012 at 07:51 AM.
Old 16-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #70
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tomarto-tomayto.

Stop the bickering or it will be stopped for you.

Dong ma?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #71
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think "comfort" is very high on the list of requirements on a mine site.

The railway out here uses Prado's...we have about six or eight of them sitting here at any one time, and we do a lot of kilometers in them. But that's different...we sometimes have to have four guys in it, with all their gear in the back. A ute would be useless as your gear would be out in the weather, and we mostly do highway kilometers with a bit of dirt and mud stuff here and there, so we don't need a hard-core four wheel drive, a Prado does nicely. They're all mine spec as well so we can go onto mine sites.

Once you get to the mine sites however, it's just about all Hiluxes and Landcruiser utes. I've seen a few Great Walls in mine spec driving around, and been in a few mine vehicles on site when someone has had to take me to the remote locomotives or the rear of the train for some reason, and they have obviously lived a very hard life...but they just keep on plugging along.

They're not comfortable, they're not trendy, they don't handle like sports cars...but I would lay money on them still being around in five years time with astronomical kilometers on the clock...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 04:42 PM   #72
JG34JA

It'll be sad to see the end of the 70' series. I worked around Australia as a surveyor with a diesel 2H 60 series (that was already 16 years old) and in 18 months remote, all that went wrong were 4 flat tyres, and the wire to the solenoid on the starter motor frayed. Every morning I checked all fluid levels, tyres, fuel, etc. It was brilliant. Completely unbreakable.
I also had the MWB FJ73, in auto. That was a lots of run, little 4wd, very nimble, with it's wide tyres it enjoyed the sand. I'd love a good one again.
Looking through a Toyota dealership, the way the 76 wagons are bolted together is no different from the 1980's built Cruisers (right down to the way the roof and sides are joined with the water-rail), and that's what I'll miss. One thing they can keep is the differing front and rear wheel track on the new ones, though!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #73
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont want to get into the shitstorm but what is wrong with the OKA

very capable vehicle with plenty of potential and reliable as the sun.....strong as buggery and locally built

we ran these on various gasline installs around the joint

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #74
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

one reason the cruisers are so popular at xstrata mim is the fact that a lot of the diesel fitters etc used to own cruiser...very easy to rebuild one when parts are free lol.ever seen the tin crib ports used at mim?some of them fit a cruiser battery and ie also seen lsd cruiser diffs fit inside them as well
another reason they are so popular at mim is no one there likes change

Last edited by dallasv8; 16-07-2012 at 06:02 PM. Reason: some more
dallasv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #75
XDOUBLEU

The only thing that beats a 79 series cruiser is a 75 series. I dont reckon they will disappear anytime soon.

Underground, nothing can compete. I have heard of Hilux's, Hummers, Patrols, great walls, navaras , f trucks, all being given a go down the hole, and are destroyed in no time. Its not that the cruisers dont break, we spend on average $4-$5000 a month on each ute, just to keep them going. They are easy to maintain, even when they look like they are destroyed, throw a few panels,windscreen, gearbox and prob a front diff and brakes and she is good to go again.

Anything else would be parked in the graveyard.
The only time a 79 dies is when the chassis breaks in half. The boily's not allowed to weld them anymore.
XDOUBLEU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 11:03 PM   #76
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1KnaTZofwM

i dont condone and i dont recomend doing this but i think the landcruisers can handle abit more water then great walls!!! I dont mind the landcruiser utes for what they are!! they do what there designed too do well!! there a work ute with no bull***ting about!!! I'd be happy with one if i had a need for a four wheel drive work ute!!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #77
RASER
Banned

Smile Re: 70 Series Landcruiser to die within 5 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde
No big deal, I can't understand why people buy their (Toyota's) rubbish anways.
U know nothing then.

These are proven workhorse of harsh enviroment

Go to the outback, its all you see

Its the envy of every brand how much gouging...woops profit they make from each unit.
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2012, 04:19 PM   #78
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASER
U know nothing then.

These are proven workhorse of harsh enviroment

Go to the outback, its all you see

Its the envy of every brand how much gouging...woops profit they make from each unit.
Yes, they need rebuilding now and then in the mines, but by christ it's a harsh environment...I think the vehicle that wins is the one that needs repairs the least out of all the choices of vehicle, and Landcruiser seems to be it...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post