Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Default Lumpy XR8

Hi all finally got to the start up stage on the XR8 into a MK3 Capri project and have found the engine to have a really cammy idle.Is this normal for a explorer headed XR8?,I have fitted manifolds in place of the headers just for the moment but I wouldn't have thought that would affect the idle that much.

Caprobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Lumpy XR8

Yes, they do have a very cammy idle, particularly the 200 spec motors as they run the biggest cam of the 3 series.
Old 18-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Mmm,might have to change the cam to marine spec cam as my lumpy cam days are over.I am looking for smooth running and as much low end as possible.Top end isnt on my list anymore (must be getting old!).Thanks for your input.
Old 18-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

just how cammy do you mean? a vid or soundclip would help to say if there's something unusual about the idle
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
Caprobbo
Fordluva

I think I have a cylinder out which is making it worse plus occasional popping in the plenum.I wonder if I have a sticking inlet valve,will do a firing test tomorrow to isolate the cylinder and take it from there.Keeps idling OK but the popping must be affecting the idle.I did a fuel flow test with clear line out of the return pipe and i get a couple of bubbles on start up that reduces to very slight aeration when running,I wonder if I'm getting a lean out-shouldn't cause an back fire in the intake though.There no surging at idle so I think fuel flow is OK.The motor hasn't been run for a year so maybe it needs a good thrash!.More testing tomorrow.
Old 22-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
Caprobbo
Fordluva

Fixed it,it just needed a couple of good revs to 6000 and now it as sweet as a nut.Probably a slightly sticky valve and crusty injectors,these injected motors dont like sitting around for a long time (18 Months).Bring on the road test!.