Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
XpV8

Default Ford Focus LV Cruise Control Issue

Howdy

we have a 2009 LV hatch focus. recently the cruise control stopped working after the battery was changed. not sure if something was shorted? i have looked at the fuses and relay's and cannot find anything for cruise control. the car is still under warranty so before i bring it in to Ford is there something simple i have missed or is it all intergrated into the computer?

cheers

Mick

XpV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Focus LV Cruise Control Issue

My Haynes Manual does not show a fuse for the "speed control" as ford calls it. On my Aussie large ford it shared the stoplight fuse and was not listed on the owners manual, but for the Focus who knows.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
XpV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
My Haynes Manual does not show a fuse for the "speed control" as ford calls it. On my Aussie large ford it shared the stoplight fuse and was not listed on the owners manual, but for the Focus who knows.
just an update, the focus also shares the same fuse as the brake lights which is not stated in the manual, this has been changed and all good.

cheers
XpV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
DeKa

Rather than start a new thread, I'll use this one as the topic name is correct .. but my question is different to the other questions.

In my 2009 Focus LV 2L automatic on the highway at 110km/h, upon approaching a hill the cruise control will cause the automatic transmission to first unlock the torque convertor and stay in fourth gear (revs raise from about 2800rpm to about 3200rpm) and if this doesn't provide enough power, it will kick down to third, and sit on about 3900rpm at 110km/h.

The issue I have is that once it reaches 110 again in third, it will change to fourth, rapidly run out of power (if still on the same hill), then change to third, reach 110 again, then change to fourth, then change to third when it loses speed .. you get the picture. It will repeat this constantly until the top of the hill is reached. It is very frustrating as it is not a smooth way to drive at all.

The only resolution I have is to lock it in third as I approach a hill and keep the revs up. I'm perfectly happy with high revs on steep hills, just not the way the transmission hunts for the correct gear. The car will happily climb almost any motorway hill at 110km/h in third gear as it's fairly close to peak torque.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed by a software update by a dealer? The last time I asked a dealer they said "that's what you get buying a 4cyl 4sp auto... which wasn't very helpful.
DeKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKa View Post
The only resolution I have is to lock it in third as I approach a hill and keep the revs up. I'm perfectly happy with high revs on steep hills, just not the way the transmission hunts for the correct gear. The car will happily climb almost any motorway hill at 110km/h in third gear as it's fairly close to peak torque.

Does anyone know if this can be fixed by a software update by a dealer? The last time I asked a dealer they said "that's what you get buying a 4cyl 4sp auto... which wasn't very helpful.
I think you may have answered your own question as to a resolution, much the same as a lot of manual 4 cylinders will need to be dropped back a gear or 2 if they lose too much power. Depending on what, if any engine modifications you have this could also be a factor, for example a CAI or even a high flow air filter replacement and a decent less restrictive exhaust or muffler will make a big difference too, I know it did on my LV Zetec, it pulls very well on hills and I rarely have to change back on any incline where the speed limit is 100 kmh. I know you won't really want to hear this but the dealer was being honest and I doubt that any software will change what would be considered as normal operation for a small 4 cyl auto using CC :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post