Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 2 car comparison AU XR6 / BMW 635CSi

I decided to do a comparison between my XR6 and the BM I just bought. The outcome of this and MY opinion might surprise you.

First the XR6. I bought the vehicle with 142k on it in December 2010, drove it from Ipswitch to Darwin via Canberra covering 8,000km in six days. As of today the car has travelled 163k.

The BMW I bought in November 2012, drove from Perth to Darwin via Canberra covering just under 10,000km in 11 days. The car has 237k on it but engine and gearbox have less than 20,000km. So, to the comparison

Vehicle model
XR6 is AU 111 2001 5 speed manual
BMW is 635CSi 1986 5 speed manual

Claimed vehicle weights
XR6 - 1470kg
BMW - 1470kg

Standard engine power
XR6 - 164kw / 220bhp
BMW - 163kw / 218bhp

Estimated power with upgrades
XR6 - 186kw / 250bhp (CAI, headers, 100 cell cat & 2.5 sports system)
BMW - 179kw / 240bhp (Bored to 3.6litre and Alpina B10 chip)

Engine sound and feel
XR6 - has an almost flat torque curve and pulls strongly with a fairly constant acceleration through to 5,500 rpm, with a deep sound.
BMW - average acceleration to 3,500 rpm then my God it just hauls through to 6,000rpm with that typical BMW six sound.

Gearbox change / feel
XR6 - the change itself is smooth and has a short throw.
BMW - is silky smooth but a longer throw

As the AU is an overdrive 5th gear and the BMw is 1:1, the BMW feels like it has better roll on torque / acceleration

Claimed and seen top speed
XR6 - Unknown claimed but have seen 225km/h indicated
BMW - Claimed 230km/h to 240km/h - can only say Tacho showed 5,200rpm with a 1:1 5th, 3.07 diff.

Suspension and tyres / feel
XR6 - standard suspension, yokohama v550 235/45/17 tyres. The AU has fairly nuetral handling but can be provoked into oversteer with the right pedal quite easily.
BMW - Bilstein / Eibach shocks and springs in a sport mode, tyres are 16 x 8 fronts with 205/55/16 and 16 x 9 rears with 225/50/16’s all shod with Yokohama S-Drives. Though the staggered wheels / tyres may look nice it causes the car to have a tendency to understeer. Again this can be rectified with the right pedal.

The BMW sits slightly lower than the XR6 compliments of it's smaller wheels and tyres and suspension. With a slightly lower centre of gravity it has a better feel (only just) than the XR6 through the long sweepers. Both vehicles are consummate long distance haulers with abilty to cover 1,500km in a day and arriving fresh and relaxed.

Brakes
XR6 - 286mm drilled and slotted discs with EBC Redstuff pads.
BMW - 750iL front discs with 4 pot callipers, 635 rear discs with twin pot callipers

Brake feel
XR6 - has a high pedal feel with only gentle pressure needed with litttle or no fade.
BMW - pedal feels softer but stops smoothly with no fade

Interior look / feel
XR6 - black cloth interior, can seem a bit gloomy but dash layout / lighting is excellent with ease of access to all controls. Easily carry 5 adults.
BMW - cream leather interior, bright feel, all controls aimed toward driver. Interior lighting is poor. The dash uses an amber light and there is no interior lighting. Strictly a 4 seater, 2+2 (adults + small kids)

Fuel tanks / mileage
XR6 has a 68 litre tank, has covered 800+km from a tank from the 4 litre due to it's overdrive 5th. Around town 500+km easy.
BMW has a 70 litre tank, has covered 800+km from a tank but is more comfortable at about 750km range. Around town is unknown at this stage.

Overall thoughts.
The XR6 is a bit of a sleeper. It does not draw any undue attention. Around town it is easily the equal of the BMW in handling and it's ability to get things done and is my choice for town driving.

The BMW on the other hand stands out like canine testicles. It can draw unwanted attention. On a long distance trip it would be my choice but only just by a very close margin over the XR6.

A picture of the XR6

One of the BMW

Cheers and thanks for reading

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by auIILTD; 07-01-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: swear filter avoidance - cleaned up
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 
Default Re: 2 car comparison AU XR6 / BMW 635CSi

Good read. I lusted after one of these when I was a kid, still do to a lesser degree.

I know exactly what you mean about BMW I6 acceleration too, our E36 328 coupe is modest down low, but just takes off at 5000rpm all the way to the limiter at 6500rpm.
The engine is silky smooth, like a 600cc motorbike.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Interesting read. Shame Aussie cars are 15 years behind.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
You may be right that the Aussie cars are behind but that doesn't mean that we are not getting better at what we do. I believe on a price point there are some models which are the equal of the Euros in certain areas, just not overall yet.

Cheers Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: 2 car comparison AU XR6 / BMW 635CSi

Enjoyable read.

Cheers!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Good read. I lusted after one of these when I was a kid, still do to a lesser degree.

I know exactly what you mean about BMW I6 acceleration too, our E36 328 coupe is modest down low, but just takes off at 5000rpm all the way to the limiter at 6500rpm.
The engine is silky smooth, like a 600cc motorbike.
Intersting considering the Bimmer is basically a much older car , just shows you pay for what you get
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Thanks for the write up Vinny, much enjoyable. Ive always liked the bm's, they're all bloody good!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always had a soft spot for the early 6 series, especially in black with gold BBS rims and JPS lettering on the sides.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP View Post
Always had a soft spot for the early 6 series, especially in black with gold BBS rims and JPS lettering on the sides.
Mmmm, like this...
6 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
It may have taken 15 years but the Aussie Falcon is just a variation of the mainstream everyman model being compared to a high-end Euro sports saloon.

I find it interesting how well it compares and how much more capable family cars become over time.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #11
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTTLEDUP View Post
I know what you mean. My first experience was listening to Alan Grice in the early 80's when the BMW's first hit our shores. All I could think of was what a wonderful sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor
It may have taken 15 years but the Aussie Falcon is just a variation of the mainstream everyman model being compared to a high-end Euro sports saloon.

I find it interesting how well it compares and how much more capable family cars become over time.
Well, that pretty much summarises what I tried to get across in my diatribe. The 15 years between them allowed an Australian built family car to compete on an equal footing with a high end German luxury cruiser.

Cheers Vincenzo

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM   #12
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmm thats the one Sox! Throws me back to Wanneroo raceway 1985 watching Jim Richards in the JPS BMW. My favourite racecars of all time JPS 635, JPS M3 & JPS Lotus 97T. I was an impressionable 6 year old LOL
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:17 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Now you need to compare it to a similar model VT/VX Commodore of the same era as the AU ... and see how good the AU REALLY was built to last. Can't say I have seen any decent VT/VXs nowadays.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

spot on, the AU has passed the test of time. there are plenty of good examples out there. even high K ones stack up well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Now you need to compare it to a similar model VT/VX Commodore of the same era as the AU ... and see how good the AU REALLY was built to last. Can't say I have seen any decent VT/VXs nowadays.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

In a way I really miss my old AU ... and it was definitely a more driver-orientated vehicle over the B-series .... and I think now with my FG .... it feels like Ford have returned back to the "driver-orientated" vehicle.

Still wouldn't mind an AU again as a toy down the track.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #16
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
In a way I really miss my old AU ... and it was definitely a more driver-orientated vehicle over the B-series .... and I think now with my FG .... it feels like Ford have returned back to the "driver-orientated" vehicle.

You'll be back
Uk
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
Sox
RIP...

Quote:

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #18
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Hahahahaaha ..... now for more memes

Old 12-01-2013, 02:11 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good read, even though the falcon xr6 is a spruced up family sedan, I reckon it is highly under rated, had mine for 8 years, and compared to many other cars the way it drives and the feel of the controls is almost second to none.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post