Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Miss Lost
Starter Motor

Default Help needed

Hello to all that read....my au ford 2001 model car which may i add is mechanically great BUT my problem is my speedo and rev count has frozen, the fuel gage and temp seem to be working.....i took it to a new mechanic for other work and a few days later the dash froze up...i took it back and he hooked it up to his so called $10,000 machine thing and managed to reset it, but months later it has done it again. I took it to ford who tried to reset it with out any success...they mentioned i would probably need to get a new nodual/modual....big dollars i believe, anyway they no longer sell new ones cause they told me "my car is OLD"...:( so currently i am driving around not knowing what speed i'm doing, can any body help me please, with suggestions on what the problem may be....and no i will not take it to the same mechanic.....thanks for reading

Miss Lost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: Help needed

Hi there Miss Lost, have you considered trying a replacement cluster? You can pick them up from the wreckers cheap enough. Try to get one with similar kms on the odometer. You can change it in your driveway with a few basic tools.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Welcome to AFF Miss Lost, I would be doing what Bushbasher suggested, probably most cost affective & easiest way to sort the issue. Good luck with it!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

If the other gauges are functioning, it COULD be the Speedometer pick-up in the gearbox.
The only other thing would be to look into having an instrument repairer look at it.
Depending in what state you live in, I am sure you could find someone to take a look at it without spending heaps of $$$$$$$

Accurate Speedo Testing @ Lidcombe (02) 9649 1442
Attspeed Auto Instruments @ St Marys (02) 9833 0055

If you Google Automotive Instrument Repairs you should be able to find one in your area.
There is ALWAYS a solution to 99% of problems.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Miss Lost
Starter Motor

wow thanks for that will look into a cluster...the petrol and another light is also on constantly so it's not just the speedo.....thanks heaps.....do it in my own driveway you reckon? mmmm...l'll see if there is anything on youtube
Old 15-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does the odometer tick over?
welcome to the forum

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Miss Lost
Starter Motor

Hi sorry Brett i tried to reply in the private message part and it didn't go thru, this site is a little confusing for me....ok yes it does tick over so does the DTE for the petrol. thanks for your question....any thoughts please
Old 25-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #8
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

+1 for 2nd hand cluster. I threw an AU taxi away the other day. it probably had one in it :(

give this bloke a ring, he may have one. (02) 6762 1942
he has a fair bit of AU stuff
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post