Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Proposed Changes to QLD Second Hand Car Buying Consumer Protection Bill

BUYERS of second-hand vehicles more than a decade old will be left with no consumer protection in Queensland under law changes proposed by the State Government.

The Motor Dealers and Chattel Auctioneers Bill due to go before Parliament this year, removes the requirement for licensed dealers to provide a statutory warranty for older vehicles and those with more than 160,000km on the clock.

The one-month or 1000km warranty protects consumers if the vehicle has mechanical problems but can cost dealers a considerable sum.

A significant number of cars on Queensland roads are 10 years or older, with the average age of 4.6 million registered vehicles 9.6 years.

Queensland's peak motoring body, the RACQ, has voiced its concern about the change, saying it would leave first-time car buyers and those least able to afford mechanical repairs without any safety net.

Technical researcher Russell Manning said the RACQ supported change that reduced red tape but this change to consumer protection would only benefit dealerships. "The consumers will be the biggest losers if the proposed changes go ahead, particularly young drivers and those who aren't able to afford a newer car," Mr Manning said.

"The vehicles most likely to require the cover from a statutory warranty are those that won't be covered if this Bill goes ahead."

Unlicensed and backyard dealers are not required to provide a statutory warranty for older vehicles, making licensed car dealers a better option for buyers of older vehicles.

Mr Manning said the dealers had lobbied the Government for the change to reduce costs and regulatory burden.

"It could encourage buyers to opt for a non-dealer sale," he said

Vehicle safety was another issue, Mr Manning said.

"The people buying those sorts of cars can least afford to have something go wrong," he said.

"If it does and they can't afford to fix it, you're left with some pretty dangerous vehicles on the road."

Brisbane Motor Auctions' principal Michael Kennedy also raised concerns about the removal of consumer protection in a submission to the Legal Affairs and Community Safety Committee which is examining the Bill.

But Attorney-General Jarrod Bleijie told Parliament last year the legislation would cut costs and the regulatory burden for dealers.

"Removing short-term, statutory warranty requirements for older, typically low-value vehicles will make legitimate sales of these vehicles more viable," he said.

"It will also reduce the prevalence of illegal dealings in these vehicles."

The committee will report to Parliament on February 24.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226804572589

Old 18-01-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Proposed Changes to QLD Second Hand Car Buying Consumer Protection Bill

I remember my father saying in the 90's that there will be a shift to get rid of older cars on the road, and move to how Japan requires people to have a car no older than 2-3 years old. IIRC.

Street machine did a similar editorial in 1999 I think. Cash for cars or along those lines.

Maybe this is a start towards that.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Proposed Changes to QLD Second Hand Car Buying Consumer Protection Bill

And so it begins...

I've been waiting for years to see what the next move is going to be to get rid of old cars. In the past I've mentioned how, every five years or so, someone will come up with a brilliant idea to get old cars off the road, "unsafe", "get people into newer cars", etc.

Usually it's one of the big makers...I believe Mazda may have been the last one back in the early 2000's...who say that "in the interests of safety" that cars older than 5 years be banned from the roads. Not to increase sales or anything...but for "safety"...sure it is...

It goes back to the early eighties as far as I can remember...some car maker or another will come out with this idea, but usually, governments won't bite. but of course our new Nazi government here in Queensland would be the first to consider such a move along those lines.

I've often commented on this and other forums asking when it will pop up again. Some people don't believe a government will "restrict peoples rights", while not acknowledging that Australians don't actually have any rights other than those the government of the day decides we are ALLOWED to have...we have no "bill of rights" in our constitution. Some people don't think it could be done as people would be too annoyed. Since when does a government care if it annoys people?

Can't say I'm happy to have been proved right...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm an advocate for keeping older cars running .. And indeed my daily driver is a 10yo SV8 .. BUT I go into older car ownership with my eyes wide open.

There are plenty of good cars out there under 10yo and their prices just drop all the time.

Instead of stretching the budget trying to by a 10yo+ 4WD, SUV, V8 etc .. And complaining it doesn't have a warranty .. maybe people need to reset their expectations to be realistic and buy a 5yo 4-cyl sedan, etc if they can't afford to fix anything that comes along?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 04:36 PM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Sorry to agree but it sounds sensible to me - I mean seriously, would you expect warranty on a BA these days, for example???
This user likes this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
Sorry to agree but it sounds sensible to me - I mean seriously, would you expect warranty on a BA these days, for example???
Yes, I would if I bought it from a car yard.
Anyway, Ten years old is nothing with modern cars. They usually have all the safety stuff people keep bleating on about...air bags, modern crumple zones, anti lock brakes, etc...so except for price, if they are reasonably well maintained, they will be as good as a lot of modern cars.

Not to mention I don't see how the state government can override the standard consumer protection that all buyers of all goods from businesses are covered by. Remember being told repeatedly not to be conned that something doesn't have a warranty? Remember being told that even when something is out of warranty, if a reasonable person would expect it to still give good service but it doesn't, you can still have some recourse?
Why are cars a special thing? They're just a mechanical device you have purchased from a business...and it's up to that business to ensure that what they have sold you is of decent quality. if car dealers don't like that, then they're in the wrong business...
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

The only thing the Government need to do with used cars is stop double dipping on stamp duty. They had their bite of the apple when the car was sold new.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2014, 05:14 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Buying a used car older than ten years old from any dealer would most likely be flogged or seen better days, why would you bother.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E..My BF Mk 2 Ghia is nearly 7 years old (May) has 135,000kms up and runs like new.
Only problems..diff bushes replaced at 50k. Otherwise, just routine, batteries, tyres servicing etc. Still has original rotors and brake pads. I expect to be changed at 140k service....at 10 years it would be past the 160k limit for used cars.
The Fez is 7 in September and has 70,000kms up...all I have done to it is servicing, batteries, tyres etc. Cann't fault either Ford. Now I have jinxed myself!!!! As you said 'age is immaterial with modern cars" I would add, if maintenance is done...
Old 18-01-2014, 05:19 PM   #10
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One month or 1000km warranty, that's hardly a warranty let alone worth bitching over
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 05:47 PM   #11
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isn't this already the case in nsw? i think it is even the same figures of 10 years or 160k's - i was chatting to a sales guy last year about it.. and i think that all 'commercial' vehicles (utes, etc) don't have much warranty when buying used
Old 18-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
isn't this already the case in nsw? i think it is even the same figures of 10 years or 160k's - i was chatting to a sales guy last year about it.. and i think that all 'commercial' vehicles (utes, etc) don't have much warranty when buying used
Not sure about NSW but its been the case here in Vic for a long time.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2014, 06:04 PM   #13
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

I bet the car yard wont reduce the prices accordingly. ..
Old 18-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #14
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6 View Post
I bet the car yard wont reduce the prices accordingly. ..
Nope...but you can absolutely guarantee that they would raise the price of anything newer than 10 years...this is what people talked about back when they came up with the "ban cars older than five/seven/ten years" proposals years back. The makers somehow thought it would make more modern cars suddenly "affordable" for lower income people who until then had bought "old cars".

Just how donkey-brained stupid are they? If you limit people to newer cars and get rid of the older stuff, exactly why would they magically become cheap?
Old 19-01-2014, 01:11 AM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
The only thing the Government need to do with used cars is stop double dipping on stamp duty. They had their bite of the apple when the car was sold new.
Hahahaha. Your funny.

Never happen. They virtually do the same with land sales.

But they also triple dip in our lives. Tax on what we earn, spend and buy.

Double and triple dipping is what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
One month or 1000km warranty, that's hardly a warranty let alone worth bitching over
And on the 31st day gOd decided that this car shall now longer live.

<BOOM>
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 19-01-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 19-01-2014, 02:53 AM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

It's a good move. A 10 year old car deserves no warranty. You want warranty, then buy a newer one. Will help private sales too as there will be no point in buying a 10 year old plus car from a dealer.

Cars are throw away items it's not like the old days when they were built to last.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dash GT... very expensive throw away items!!
Old 19-01-2014, 09:58 AM   #18
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
Yes it is, and has been that way for as long as I can remember.

Just checked, sky hasn't fallen yet.

Come on Qld, it's about time you caught up.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Spurious

Dealers already use this system of no warranty, "sold as is where is" ring any bells.

You seriously need to stop finding stories in the local paper & uploading these threads.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 11:02 AM   #20
nstg8a

What's with people bitching about csv's threads lately?

Their good conversation pieces, that affect a large amount of us.... If you don't wanna read them then don't?

I don't like the idea of losing the warrenty, simply because dealers are shonky enough now, this removes any burden whatsoever.

Whilst I back my own car knowledge enough not to buy a lemon, there's plenty of people out there that don't know a ball joint from a water pump from an airbag.

It will be open season on the gullible buyers.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2014, 11:06 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I didn't think dealerships would sell these really old cars anyway?

I know when I was at Honda we got some old trade ins and they asked us first if we wanted them before they went off to the auctions to disappear from the yard. We only really sold the later model stuff without eleventy million kilometers on the clock.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

I know when I was at Honda we got some old trade ins and they asked us first if we wanted them before they went off to the auctions to disappear from the yard. We only really sold the later model stuff without eleventy million kilometers on the clock.
New car franchise dealerships don't but plenty of small used car dealers do. They buy them wholesale off the big franchise dealers for nothing, make them look pretty then sell them.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That would probably be one of the only reasons you would buy a second hand car from a dealership because of the warranty they have to offer, it wont be worth buying it from them anymore in this scenario.

Might as well as go private sale as it will be cheaper.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 01:15 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

You be lucky to find a used car that is over 5 years old in any Dealership, a rarity these days unless the car is in exceptional excellent condition.

As for buying used cars older than 10 years old from any used car dealer be prepared to be robbed.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #25
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Yes If you want proper warranty buy a new vehicle. But selling roadworthy vehicles and good serviceable vehicles are two different things. Like a second hand GT with brembo's that are past it with lips bigger than a dinner plate, with shot diff bushes. Roadworthy (barely) in a good serviceable condition (NO). And the stat warranty doesn't even cover these items. I have purchased many second hand vehicles. I budget 6 grand on repairs.
The stat warranty is not worth the paper It's printed on. If you notice problems with the vehicle ask for them to be fixed, If not just walk away. Or get an independent RACQ check done and give them the list, once again if terms aren't met- walk away.

Last edited by blackf6; 19-01-2014 at 01:43 PM.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2014, 02:49 PM   #26
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

In SA for any vehicle to carry a used car warranty it must be less than 15yrs old and have travelled less than 200,000k's.

If both these are met it goes on purchase price.

For vehicles up to and including 3k there is no statutory warranty
For vehicles $3001 to $6000 a 2mth/3000km warranty applies.
For vehicles over $6000 a 3mth/5000km warranty applies.

The 2mth/3000km warranty is a recent addition to our system which was previously 3mth/5000km for any vehicle over $3000.

If you want my opinion I believe used car warranty's should be extended, not withdrawn.
If new vehicle manufacturers can offer 5/10yr drivetrain warranty's which have increased 5 fold in the last 20 years, used car warranty's should increase also.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #27
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

In NSW it's .............

The Motor Dealers Act provides a statutory warranty of 3 months or 5,000 km from the date of sale (whichever occurs first) on second-hand vehicles, which includes demonstrator vehicles, that have travelled less than 160,000 km and are less than 10 years old (from the date the vehicle was built).
Old 19-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #28
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81 View Post
Yes If you want proper warranty buy a new vehicle. But selling roadworthy vehicles and good serviceable vehicles are two different things. Like a second hand GT with brembo's that are past it with lips bigger than a dinner plate, with shot diff bushes. Roadworthy (barely) in a good serviceable condition (NO). And the stat warranty doesn't even cover these items. I have purchased many second hand vehicles. I budget 6 grand on repairs.
The stat warranty is not worth the paper It's printed on. If you notice problems with the vehicle ask for them to be fixed, If not just walk away. Or get an independent RACQ check done and give them the list, once again if terms aren't met- walk away.
^^^^^This is exactly right.

There are plenty of other fish in the ocean.
/////Alpine Sound.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread