Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 20-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
xf_vanner

Default 07-08 Focus xr5

Hi all, looked at a focus xr5 yesterday and was very impressed in the way it drove.It had cruise control fitted as well (big plus for us as we do alot of highway driving). My partner and I are now seriously considering it.

Are there any current owners out there that can give us thoughts/opinions on problems they've had?

Also like to know what kind of mileage to expect from the car from a day to day point of view.

Thanks

xf_vanner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Kian Jorry
Starter Motor

Default Re: 07-08 Focus xr5

Hi
I have a 07 xr5 which was purchased new
Covered 55000km so far and had a few problems.
The bonnet catch mechanism is a real issue.
It is made of plastic bits and tends to fail just when you need to open the bonnet.
The crankcase vent valve also fails in the earlier models which requires the complete oil filter housing to be changed. So far I ve had these two problems and apparently the alternators are also prone to failure .
Around town its a little thirsty, probably about 10km a litre. On the highway with a bit of town driving can manage 13km a litre which I think is decent considering the performance.
You need to keep up with wheel balances and alignments or the tyres scrub.
For what it is worth we have been happy with the xr5 I can definitely say its a very safe car as my wife had a bad smash in the first one we owned and walked away.
Handling, braking and steering is great. It is a fun car on a road with lots of corners...
Hope this helps

KJ
Kian Jorry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
xf_vanner

Thanks Kian for that info. I haven't heard those problems before on an xr5 but thank you soo much for sharing.

Will make my mind up in the next few months.

Cheers
Lee
Old 28-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cruise control isn't a standard feature in these, it would've been an aftermarket unit.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a 2008 LV (Facelift). Purchased @ 60,000km. Now at 101,000km.

Had a few problems but all of them were my fault. Blew a fuse and it was throwing heaps of error codes and in limp home mode - took me a while to sort this. Also cleaned my air filter but the air filter spray cleaner covered the MAF and also put it in limp home mode. Again - my fault.

Oh - my rear left tyre scrubbed out during a long highway drive. Just an alignment issue.

Fuel economy is quite thirsty to be honest - but it doesn't bother me. If I wanted economy I would of gotten a slow diesel. Sitting at 110kmph on the freeway expect to get flat 8's which is ok. In the city however with an occasional (not always) heavy foot it doesn't take much to use 12-13l/100km. I average about 28kmph according to the trip, so it is pretty heavy city driving.

All in all, very happy. Might be worth getting an LV though as it had the majority of the bugs ironed out. Didn't have the PCV issue mentioned in the previous post etc.

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My partner and I have one each. Hers 2007 LS XR5 and mine 2008 LV XR5.

Her's the only issues we've had is master cylinder (110,000) and mine has a slipping clutch (100,000).

Fuel econs good. We both achieve around 9.8-10.5lt per 100. Don't use 95ron use BP 98. It gives the best economy. On 95ron or crap 98ron you'll get around 500k's per tank. On BP 98 you should get around 560-600k's per tank.

If you get one? Join the Facebook forum Victorian XR5 Turbo community ;) We go on cruises and coffee meets etc etc.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #7
xf_vanner

Yep WILDB knew that, was surprised to see it had cruise on it. Wasn't advertised with the car just happened to look down at the centre of the dash and seen it. Worked a treat as well.

Well I have the dilemma of wanting decent fuel economy but then again this is for the Mrs. She loved it, but as with anything it's whether she can afford it. I'd love to own one though as all up it's a weapon of a car.

Thanks for the insight guys, I'd rather get real world opinions then nothing at all.
Thanks Brenx, how often do you guys meet up?
Old 16-12-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We meet 1-2 times per month

Old 24-03-2014, 12:32 AM   #9
redcar
redcar

bought an 07 xr5 new as my wifes daily , threw 5 tyres in a year,those wide low profiles seemed to be a magnet for road debris , fixed by adding tyre monitoring system, now done 158000k and retired for a wrx , i still drive the xr5 it just has 2 many ks for everyday use.
problems bonnet lock 1 of , brake rotors 2 sets of , gearknob clear coating delaminating and became very sharp due to rings on gear hand destroying coating 120 bucks, does not use oil and is still quick but not quite as good as new,wife barked every rim and ran the front lip into every parking stop in town but couldnt destroy the car, only issue is tyres and more tyres ,these things seem to eat them .The wrx is brand new but its not as good as the focus , I refuse to sell the xr due to its outstanding family service and sheer fun to drive, one day it will be restored as a retirement project,anybody got a set of pristine rims?
redcar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got over 50k on my tyres so far. Prob going to get 75-90k out of them.