Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Unhappy GK Was rite the end is near

Went out side to have a look at my neighbours AU S2 wagon she is looking to sell clean car,dealer fitted dual fuel , 30000ks figured it be good buy a 1500 / 2k mark Dude comes for a look goes strait to the inner sill above the jacking point says "ehh nah it roooted sorry " I climb under neath for a look see and ya can put ya fist thru it both sides WTF local car 2 owners qwickly jumps back over my side of fennce to inspect mine just a small spot on the left inside sill off to the repair shop soon anyways for a few chips and boot spray but hey just for fun go have a look at your own just incase Will chuck some picks up when I get a chance ,, anyway any one want a cheap parts wagon give me a yell

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #2
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: GK Was rite the end is near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha View Post
30000ks figured it be good buy a 1500 / 2k mark
Did you mean 300,000k's or 30,000k's ?
Old 24-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Thanks for the heads up Woosha! I just went & had a look at mine after reading this, all good luckily. Does anyone know why & if this problem is for all au's falcons or is confined to a certain series?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #4
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Bad news, but I'm puzzled at the thread title -

GK Was rite the end is near

I know AU's are da bomb, but surely the world won't now end because a highish k AU wagon is going to car heaven.
Old 24-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
nstg8a

E series are rusting out in the inner sills as well, as much as I love my fords they really should have dumped rust as a nco back in the 70s.

It's bulls hit that in this day and age cars are rusting out so fast.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Bad news, but I'm puzzled at the thread title -

GK Was rite the end is near

I know AU's are da bomb, but surely the world won't now end because a highish k AU wagon is going to car heaven.
The end is near for some AUs
Earlyer thread Sox when GK had rust problems
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ghlight=GK+end

Quote:
Old 26-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
E series are rusting out in the inner sills as well, as much as I love my fords they really should have dumped rust as a nco back in the 70s.

It's bulls hit that in this day and age cars are rusting out so fast.
i have to agree mate, a while ago I was talking to my uncle who has been in the panel shop game for 40 odd years and the subject of rust came up , I mentioned it, he said " what rust ! in this day and age cars should not get rust in them".
I have to agree, a ten or 12 year old limo shouldn't have panels with rust perforation, that said, car bodys regardless of how well they are painted are not tanks , and hitting gigantic potholes must cause some severe shock loads and body flex, add to that people jacking them up inappropriately that bends/flexs body work, it only takes for a hair line crack in paint for moisture to get to steel, and let us not forget our little fender benders over the years.
my own car had with my young brother driving a slight bang in the tail from a useless driver, and even though it did minor damage to the bumper, I wouldn't mind betting there are some metal seams/joins with a bit of cancer growing from that event..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm choosing to remain in semi-ignorant bliss over the rust that must be percolating away under the top length of my windscreen!

When water starts coming through, I'll know that I'm ready to let go of the old girl OR I'm in need of a few tubes of Sikaflex!

I'm hoping and praying she'll go down fighting! LOL! She is 15 years old and I've had her for 11, not one day of that time has she been under cover.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Go stick ya hand in the sill behind the front Jack point GK ..Dare ya

Quote:
This user likes this post:
Old 30-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK View Post
.... She is 15 years old and I've had her for 11, not one day of that time has she been under cover....

GK
Now you are talking about your car aren't you GK? ( and not your lovley wife )
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 12:24 AM   #11
xr8 007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pics?

fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11247663
xr8 007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 12:42 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoosha View Post
Go stick ya hand in the sill behind the front Jack point GK ..Dare ya
Can't yet bring myself to do it Whoosha!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Does anyone know where the water comes from that then collects in the sills? Under the windscreen?

Can a bottle of rust converter then be tipped down that path to then slow the rust?

perhaps the water needs an exit hole?
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know mate, I suspect some of it could be condensation, on the other hand , I have always wondered where the water that goes down near the boot hinges gutter area ends up.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #15
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I don't know mate, I suspect some of it could be condensation, on the other hand , I have always wondered where the water that goes down near the boot hinges gutter area ends up.
Perhaps a hole needs to be drilled in the wheel arch to the sill then a clean, rust treatment and then a long pipe with holes in the side pumped with epoxy etc sprayed in there and then a grommet placed?

RE the boot: Thats why dont park my car rear up on a hill etc for very long, and washing is done front facing up on the hilly driveway.

Cheers Mik.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2014, 07:21 PM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Maybe from loose fitting door rubbers? Lift up a front door rubber near the windscreen top left or right corner & (on mine) there's a pin hole under there right next to the windscreens edge where rainwater could run down the side of the windscreen. A bit of sealant will fix that for me!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
STINKY NINJA
Banned

It happens because the drain channels from the engine bay/windscreen that run down to the front of the sills get clogged up with dirt/leaves and crap which starts rust and away it goes,id clean those out,remove the inner guard plastic and get cleaning.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #18
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I've said it before - unless you have 100% confirmed that your AU does not have rust, then assume that it has rust. And it often starts from the inside out. Inside the boot, inside the rear guard, inside the roof, etc. Au's, unfortunately, are horrendous for rust and is one of the 'Three AU Faults'
Old 04-06-2014, 11:07 AM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ah wow, my EL has rust showing up in the drivers side sill but on the outside of it, facing inside the car, is this something I should be concerned about?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #20
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a 98 au , nice car till i looked under it , two massive rust holes in the chassis rail , one i could put my hand through the other not far away from the same , then i started looking and found more , needless to say i sold it , but not for the rust issue , for a friend in need of temporary transport , but he died a month ago.