Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
madent
Starter Motor

Default 2003 focus timing belt service km

Hi all...

I'm looking at some 2003 ford focus' for my son (or is that focus's or maybe foci).

Anyway, from what I read, it's important to have the timing/cam belt replaced at a certain stage of it's service and is listed as part of the log book service..

But does anyone know when that service is due.

I managed to find an American service schedule log online and that states 100,000 Miles

T.I.A

Cheers

madent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 12:07 PM   #2
spedwards

Default Re: 2003 focus timing belt service km

From memory it's 160,000kms or 10 years.
spedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Sped, It's actually 150,000kms (but what's 10k!) or 10 Years. Actual cost of Timing Belt not that expensive when I had mine replaced but be prepared to pay a bit for labour if you're not doing it yourself.

Hope this helps.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
spedwards

So close!

Mine is due based on age and KMs. I've price up the timing and accessory belt kits from CFM and it's cheaper to buy both kits from them shipped than get just the timing belt kit direct from Ford Parts (obviously with no trade discount).

However, the local mechanic I use for work beyond my skills/tools said he automatically added $200 to any job where they bring their own parts. Time to find a new mechanic!
spedwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should seriously examine what other things are usefully done at the same time to save money later. Things like the belt tensioner pulley and water pump (if driven from the cam belt) save the costs of pulling things down again if they go.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-03-2014, 09:56 PM   #6
madent
Starter Motor

Thanx for the replies...

Ended up buying a 2003 Focus LR Ghia...
Just been serviced and passed roadworthy..
It's done 171,000 km but guy doesn't know if the belt was replaced in an earlier service so I'm still none the wiser..
Guess I'll get it done next service just to be on the safe side..

Thanx again...was helpful
madent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #7
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Marg, I forget to mention that they did do the Belt Tensioner Pulley too.

Congrats on the purchase, Madent. I'm guessing it's a Sedan?

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
ramondo
Extended Member

I was led to believe recommended timing belt change was 100,000 kms. Mine was done at 120,00 kms. The American Focus is a different car so I would suggest the 100,000 miles thing is not really of any relevance.

The Focus Ghia was probably the luxury model of the day, tho at 170,000 it's probably getting towards end of life.

My 2002 Focus CL is approaching 175,000 and I'd be reluctant to pass it on to anyone - it could probably drive itself to the garage. I bought it with 35,000 on the clock, and it was relatively trouble-free until about 90,000. Then it started going bad.

- Ford recommended brake pads and discs/rotors wear quickly
- Theromstat housing cracked - replaced
- Alternator failed (relatively common) and replaced
- 4 speed auto problem - overhauled
- Fuel pump failed and replaced
- Power steering overhauled
- Starter motor failed and replaced
- Intermittent non-starting, particularly when warm. (Separate to starter motor)
- Low idle and stall at stop/traffic lights. Vacuum hose replaced. Not convinced it's fixed the problem 100%.
- Air con busted - compressor cracked. Not replaced due to the cost being similar to the car's worth.

Good luck!
Old 28-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
bluetvrs1
Territory TDCi AWD

I recently bought my daughter a 2003 Focus Zetec Auto with 80,000km. Gradually fixing problems with it when I have the time..(gearbox changes rough and noisy, wipers not parking, engine mounts)
WRT the timing belt - not sure if it's been changed and reluctant to do so due to mileage however it's over 10 years old so won't leave it much longer.

Has anyone had them snap due to age and not mileage?
bluetvrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
dan-

checked my book, 150,000km!
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post