Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #1
MattstaF6

Default PWR vs Stock new Heat Exchanger

Hi Guys

Just spoke to the guys at Blue Power Racing and they were very helpful with information on Heat Exchanges. I want to get a new heat exchanger to avoid the milkshake effect and inquired about the PWR heat exchanger. These guys actually were very helpful and explained to me that they recommend a stock Ford heat exchanger over the PWR and just change it every 2 - 3 years. They said the original works to spec and the PWR hasn't yet been 100% proven. Another guy on here had recommended the same thing. These guys at Bluepower are experts when it comes to Fords so it was interesting to hear. Just thought I would let you guys know and ask what your thoughts are?

MattstaF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 
Default Re: PWR vs Stock new Heat Exchanger

I think it's much of a muchness. The Ford replacement part has factory development behind it but they still fail, sometimes randomly. The PWR unit might not have the same test miles on a Ford but their products as a whole are reliable. There's a lot of hysteria around water cooling oils and having a potential milkshake, but all the manufacturers still do it.

Depending on your ownership, you might find simply changing the OEM heat exchanger a cheaper alternative but there will be other variables to keep in mind to eliminate random failures.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I would love to get an PWR but they won't fit the AWD Territory's.

PWR products are used in F1, V8 Supercars etc so I personally wouldn't have an issue with the quality of the product. It may not be motorsport standard, but if they're making products for those uses then I'm sure they know what they are doing when it comes to building a part that does the job as good as (if not better) that OEM standard and has quality to last.

Just my thoughts.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Kempe

I say go for neither but go for an air cooled system and totally avoid any chance of a milkshake, I have done it and so have plenty others with no drama with gear changes.

My understanding is the stock heat exchanger is not a Ford requirement but a ZF requirement on all their trans units including the ones in the Northern hemisphere winters and I believe that is the crucial part the "Northern Hemisphere winters"
We dont get them in Australia so dont need a heat exchanger that heats the trans oil up quickly from sub zero temps.
Just my opinion and I cant back it up but nobody else can back up their thoughts either not even why the stock one fails
I say go air cooled and totally avoid any chance of a 7k milkshake
Kempe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
LooLoo18

I just went stock about a month ago my thinking is if it fails Ford are the only ones that have touched it with Ford parts
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Nissan Pulsar (The Wife's)
Ranger Wildtrak Chilli Orange
LooLoo18 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
MattstaF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
I just went stock about a month ago my thinking is if it fails Ford are the only ones that have touched it with Ford parts
Yeah but only issue is if the car is out of warranty will Ford cover the transmission damage?
Old 30-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #7
MattstaF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempe View Post
I say go for neither but go for an air cooled system and totally avoid any chance of a milkshake, I have done it and so have plenty others with no drama with gear changes.

My understanding is the stock heat exchanger is not a Ford requirement but a ZF requirement on all their trans units including the ones in the Northern hemisphere winters and I believe that is the crucial part the "Northern Hemisphere winters"
We dont get them in Australia so dont need a heat exchanger that heats the trans oil up quickly from sub zero temps.
Just my opinion and I cant back it up but nobody else can back up their thoughts either not even why the stock one fails
Who does the air cooled systems?
Old 30-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #8
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattstaF6 View Post
Yeah but only issue is if the car is out of warranty will Ford cover the transmission damage?
Ford have been known to fix transmissions out of warranty thats why I decided to stay with Ford unit
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Old 30-10-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Kempe

Quote:
Who does the air cooled systems?
My mechanic provided it but I think Furious do one, look in the sponsors forum, and there may be others.
Old 30-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
MattstaF6

Quote:
My mechanic provided it but I think Furious do one, look in the sponsors forum, and there may be others.
Found it. Very Interesting. Have you tested it out on a really hot day yet?
Old 30-10-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Kempe

Quote:
Found it. Very Interesting. Have you tested it out on a really hot day yet?
Just after it was fitted last March I took the family on a round trip of 600km in 38c and it never missed a beat
I posted it at the time on the "Has your ZF milkshaked" thread
Old 30-10-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:

Ford fitted them on 4 speed/5 speed six cylinders as well so its not simply a ZF requirement.

Heating the oil up to running temp helps economy and emissions, not just winter climate starts.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #13
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooLoo18 View Post
Did Ford tell you to replace it or that was just your decision? If you're sticking with the Ford product but they don't say to replace it, then what's the point? I understand from a personal point so you think it's less likely to fail. But if it fails, Ford don't have to fix it for free.

I too was recommend to replace the stock one every couple of years by a local workshop and was quoted around $900 to do this. I don't really want to spend $900 every couple of years, I'd rather then fit the PWR unit and be done with it.
Old 30-10-2014, 10:36 PM   #14
LooLoo18

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Did Ford tell you to replace it or that was just your decision? If you're sticking with the Ford product but they don't say to replace it, then what's the point? I understand from a personal point so you think it's less likely to fail. But if it fails, Ford don't have to fix it for free.

I too was recommend to replace the stock one every couple of years by a local workshop and was quoted around $900 to do this. I don't really want to spend $900 every couple of years, I'd rather then fit the PWR unit and be done with it.
It was my decision to replace it at a cost of $250
XE Fairmont Ghia 4.9lt
EF Fairmont
AU Falcon II
BA MKII Fairmont
FG XR6 50TH
Current
Old 31-10-2014, 01:22 AM   #15
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

I'd put good money down( if I had any) that no PWR heat exchanger will ever fail in the manner the factory exchanger does!
It's a top quality Aussie product designed and produced to replace a known item of failure!
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2014, 10:03 AM   #16
MattstaF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr gr8 View Post
I'd put good money down( if I had any) that no PWR heat exchanger will ever fail in the manner the factory exchanger does!
It's a top quality Aussie product designed and produced to replace a known item of failure!
I'm not worried about the corrosion side of things. I think the PWR product will be better quality than the standard Chinese made Ford Heat Exchanger. Only issue is, does the PWR work exactly the same way as the genuine.
I have a BF Typhoon and from what i hear they have a different heat exchanger than the FG models have (KTM make the BF model heat exchangers). When I spoke to the guys at Bluepower one of the guys told me that they rarely see BF heat exhangers go and its mainly the FG models (he worked for Ford before Bluepower). Still I don't want to take the chance.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:54 AM   #17
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I'm not worried about the corrosion side of things. I think the PWR product will be better quality than the standard Chinese made Ford Heat Exchanger. Only issue is, does the PWR work exactly the same way as the genuine.
I have a BF Typhoon and from what i hear they have a different heat exchanger than the FG models have (KTM make the BF model heat exchangers). When I spoke to the guys at Bluepower one of the guys told me that they rarely see BF heat exhangers go and its mainly the FG models (he worked for Ford before Bluepower). Still I don't want to take the chance.
Well they say its the same they have just beefed up the part that is prone to cracking.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11390288
Old 31-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #18
xr gr8
Winter White Weapon

Quote:
I'm not worried about the corrosion side of things.
We'll that's the only reason for upgrading the exchanger in the first place.
xr gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
MattstaF6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr gr8 View Post
We'll that's the only reason for upgrading the exchanger in the first place.
I meant as far as the PWR Unit goes. I'm sure it wont corrode and will last longer that the stock Ford Unit.
Old 31-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I meant as far as the PWR Unit goes. I'm sure it wont corrode and will last longer that the stock Ford Unit.
Apparently the bits that corrode are upgraded so it technically should last longer.....mind you if you actually change your coolant every 2 years then that helps.
Old 31-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #21
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

I have a KTM HEX on my BF which was running beautifully but i still went with air cooler just to eliminate the possibility of a milk shake, whether that was ever going to happen or not, I was not prepared to find out the hard way.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post