Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
rachel
Starter Motor

Default Advice Wanted - Buying 2nd Hand Ford Territory

Hi guys! Hoping you guys can help me out and offer some advice regarding the pros and cons of buying the Ford Territory.

Bit of background - I work in rural QLD, and I'm looking to get a car better suited for the area. I've got the territory in mind - it seems to fit what I'm looking for. I want an auto transmission, petrol or diesel, and I'm looking for something 2008 onwards.

Any input is welcome and much appreciated.

rachel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Advice Wanted - Buying 2nd Hand Ford Territory

Welcome Rachel.

Our, bought brand new 2004 AWD territory has just clocked over 320000 relatively trouble free kms. It's helped raise 4 kids, supported our contracting business and servived one minor accident. Only issues we have had apart from normal servicing is front ball joints replaced once. Suspension bushes twice, ( both prob due again sometime soon ) And rear tailgate door RH hinge broke recently.

We live in rual Vic and our Terri has suited my wife's and families needs perfectly. We also tow trailers with it. Mrs loves the driving position, the comfort and the ability to carry 7 when needed. Petrol Fuel economy ave on trip computer is 14.2. Will ave low 11's on trips but climbs up especially when towing large box trailers. Our next family car update will be a diesel Territory as the economy is much better.

Best advice I could give you would be to find a low Km version, in your price bracket of what ya want. Check that it's been serviced regularly and at correct intervals, all warranty works done. Take it to a reputable (ford) mechanic that you trust and get them to give it the once over. Have suspension checked. Ball joints and bushes etc and prob factor in replacing these parts if they haven't recently been done.

Our territory experience has been a good one and other friends who have bought them also seem very happy.

Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by hootar; 21-11-2014 at 07:05 AM.
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having had diesels on the work fleet in selected areas, all I can say is you won't be sorry with a diesel territory. The economy in rural regions is great.

Despite the tales of woe you read about, they are quite reliable & trouble-free most of the time, with no issues at all on any of the fleet ones, barring a headlight bulb. Seems people only complain when something goes wrong, so that's all you read about, but think of how many territory's have been sold over the last 10 years, and you're bound to have a few complaints.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 07:28 AM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've had two since 2004 and it's absolutely one of the best cars around (I don't come from a Ford background so that's an unbiased comment!) and it still sets the benchmark for that type of vehicle even after 10 years. The early little issues like balljoints were well-supported by Ford and apart from that they're completely reliable and cheap to service so running costs are low compared to most competitors. It's also a proper sized family car with a proper full-width second row (unlike many competitors!).

We live in the country too and fuel consumption (2006 Ghia) is about 10.5 l/100 on those long rural runs. That's petrol - I'm not a fan of diesel. I'd go for models with the 6 speed gearbox and, although the RWD performs perfectly fine, I'd choose AWD if you regularly get slippery mud situations etc to get through.

I support the second poster's advice of getting any prospective purchase checked properly (normal second-hand car precautions) and a full history showing it's been serviced properly.

And finally, join this forum (there's a Territory section) because you'll find a huge heap of friendly fellow-owners who'll give you good advice on all sorts of matters.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They're cheap, big, comfy and mine never left me stranded.

I would never buy one again myself as it was just very thirsty, very slougish with a cheap plasticy feel. mine had lots of niggling little issues and lots of suspension and driveline bumps, clunks and rattles.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The cheap-looking (but reasonably solid) plastics and the rattles are just an Australian-build issue, nothing of substance. Seatbelts, cargo cover seem to be the main source of rattles.

Replacing suspension bushes (after a long period) seems to be the main country-driving issue. The petrol engine is bullet-proof reliable.
Old 21-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Mines not had a single issue in 15000klm. The diesel is a great engine matched perfectly to the 6 speed auto. Never gets less than 800klm out of a tank regardless of short trips.

The ride is exceptionally comfortable..more so after driving my leaf sprung ute.
Basically it fits the bill perfectly for a family with children or someone wanting space, economy, comfort and a higher ride than a sedan.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
rachel
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, it's really appreciated. There's been a few more things to keep an eye on that I hadn't heard about, and you've definitely confirmed that I want one.

From the sounds of it, either petrol or diesel would have better economy than my current car (97 fairmont), but I'll be getting the diesel if I can find one in my price range.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
rachel
Starter Motor

Okay Guys, I need your help again.

I'm starting to look at actually going to see, test drive and buy a Territory now. I want to know some of the questions I should ask, and some of the things I should watch for when I'm test driving them.

I have my eye on one particular model, $21000 for a 2010, 46000 km, SY MKII TX sports, AWD.

I'm wondering if I should maybe be suspicious of this car?
Old 04-12-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that price is about right Rachel........I'm looking at one myself, toss up between the territory, prado or Nissan patrol (all diesels).

I've got to say the territory is in front at the moment.......I tow a lot and like the idea of very good economy from the diesel.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #11
rachel
Starter Motor

I've had my eye on the territory for a while, moving out west just made the decision easier. I move around a fair bit with work, and I like to bring my creature comforts with me. The Territory is big enough to fit all my junk, and I learnt to drive in one, so I'm comfortable and familiar with the vehicle.

I'd still appreciate any questions people could reccomend - I want to sound intelligent when I talk to people about buying them. More importantly though, I want to be educated enough about the potential faults/flaws and problems to not make a poor purchase decision.
Old 04-12-2014, 04:36 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ask for the full service record and check that it's been serviced at the required intervals. Check that stickers for any of the recalls are on the drivers door pillar. Look for rust. Turn the car in a circle on full lock and listen for clunks from the front drive shafts. Just quickly off the top of my head. Others will have further suggestions.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #13
rachel
Starter Motor

Okay... when I'm listening for clunks, what does hearing/not hearing them signify?
Old 04-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Maybe worth having an independent inspection by your local mechanic for peace of mind. Especially if not buying from a dealer.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-12-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
Okay... when I'm listening for clunks, what does hearing/not hearing them signify?
Worn CV joints.

Even better advice than mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
Maybe worth having an independent inspection by your local mechanic for peace of mind. Especially if not buying from a dealer.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:14 AM   #16
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you in the RAA or it's interstate equivalent?

if so an inspection would be a good investment.

Barring that, possibly a reputable vehicle repair place........do you have a regular mechanic who could give it the once over for you?

having said that I honestly don't think you will have a problem at 46,000 km's as long as the service history holds up to scrutiny.

let us know how you get on and pictures as well please.......good luck.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

everyones pretty much covered it
make sure it has service history and if you can get someone to have a quick look over it for obvious nasties even better
take it for a good drive, give it a bit too.
and haggle over the price!!
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #18
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Rachel,

2007 SR AWD 4.0L petrol 6 speed auto here, now 220,000kms, bought new. Optioned safety/sound up to TS levels. A custom order made for us.
Superb family car. Taken all around Australia. Possibly the best mix of ride/handling, space and comfort for the money. We have the AWD, and the RWD is an even better steer. Have driven the diesel, and prefer the response of the petrol myself. Diesel much better economy and no Diesel Particulate Filter to be replaced at $5K of your own money, like Euro diesels.

In our time we've seen:
SY1 balljoints replaced by Ford under warranty with the SY2 unit. SY2 balljoints are a much better design. Approx 140,000km?
Set of Tyres every 70,000km (the Factory set Forteras for AWD model each time)
Suspension bushes rebuild, front and rear at 210,000. Symptoms were "bumps". The car came back feeling brilliant. There's no sweeter SUV steer than a Terry with new suspension and all tyres balanced/filled right, or with the front end tightened.
Rust developed under the tailgate rubber (bottom of boot opening). Was small surface rust, no larger than 5c piece in one place. Fixed by Ford on warranty. Ours lives outside, sadly :(
We had a hose leak from the ZF transmission, which saw the transmission fluid replaced. Shifted so quickly afterward, think I will get this done again at the current kms.
Exhaust can crack in one place, about 200,000km in our case.

Kids have now grown bigger and still sit OK. 7 seats is great if your kids have friends for sport events etc, or if you take friends out for drinks and only want one designated driver. Will take all sorts of sporting equipment in the back with seats down. Air Con is strong and cold. Towing beast with 1400kg van, no worries at all. Very handy in the snow, good traction. Never in an accident.

Fuel economy sitting on 12.3 average now (we do more urban stuff these days, maybe I should replace the oxygen sensor). Before that, easy 11.2. Urban was 13.4 or so and highway 10.5, best of 9.5.

If it were me buying another, I really like the petrol + AWD + 6 speed combo, so a late SY2 with low kms, probably in Ghia form would be the pick. Then I'd get it checked especially in areas I've outlined.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:31 PM   #19
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sprintey's profile is almost identical to our 2006 Ghia so it's probably a pretty typical representation of a Territory. Ours is still going like a new car after 160 ks. Completely reliable without fail every day. And except for the bushes, dirt cheap to service.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #20
rachel
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Advice Wanted - Buying 2nd Hand Ford Territory

You guys have been really helpful, thanks so much for all your advice. At the moment, I'm going to go start looking at cars in early January, and hopefully buy one around the same time. But my plan of attack is bring my dad along for the initial inspection and get a mechanic out for any that I'm seriously considering.

I've got maybe three in mind.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 11:07 AM   #21
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Hi Rachel,

2007 SR AWD 4.0L petrol 6 speed auto here, now 220,000kms, bought new. Optioned safety/sound up to TS levels. A custom order made for us.
Superb family car. Taken all around Australia. Possibly the best mix of ride/handling, space and comfort for the money. We have the AWD, and the RWD is an even better steer. Have driven the diesel, and prefer the response of the petrol myself. Diesel much better economy and no Diesel Particulate Filter to be replaced at $5K of your own money, like Euro diesels.

In our time we've seen:
SY1 balljoints replaced by Ford under warranty with the SY2 unit. SY2 balljoints are a much better design. Approx 140,000km?
Set of Tyres every 70,000km (the Factory set Forteras for AWD model each time)
Suspension bushes rebuild, front and rear at 210,000. Symptoms were "bumps". The car came back feeling brilliant. There's no sweeter SUV steer than a Terry with new suspension and all tyres balanced/filled right, or with the front end tightened.
Rust developed under the tailgate rubber (bottom of boot opening). Was small surface rust, no larger than 5c piece in one place. Fixed by Ford on warranty. Ours lives outside, sadly :(
We had a hose leak from the ZF transmission, which saw the transmission fluid replaced. Shifted so quickly afterward, think I will get this done again at the current kms.
Exhaust can crack in one place, about 200,000km in our case.

Kids have now grown bigger and still sit OK. 7 seats is great if your kids have friends for sport events etc, or if you take friends out for drinks and only want one designated driver. Will take all sorts of sporting equipment in the back with seats down. Air Con is strong and cold. Towing beast with 1400kg van, no worries at all. Very handy in the snow, good traction. Never in an accident.

Fuel economy sitting on 12.3 average now (we do more urban stuff these days, maybe I should replace the oxygen sensor). Before that, easy 11.2. Urban was 13.4 or so and highway 10.5, best of 9.5.

If it were me buying another, I really like the petrol + AWD + 6 speed combo, so a late SY2 with low kms, probably in Ghia form would be the pick. Then I'd get it checked especially in areas I've outlined.
This pretty much mimics my experience after we took it away from the ford dealer. (Best thing we ever did)

Other than that it shagged the diff bushes at 220000 but over all a really good family SUV with towing ability

I've only had 1 my sisters on her 4th and loves them as well

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 AM   #22
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Advice Wanted - Buying 2nd Hand Ford Territory

Hi
weve got an 05 Ghia all wheel drive
it has all the bells and whistles
leather interior six stack disc player
air and power steering plus cruise control
the wife and I are both in our sixties and
it really helps to get in and out with the raised height
we had the ball joints done under recall
and have had the front and rear bushes re done
we have had injected gas installed
so now we can if we want to drive for close
to a thousand Ks if we wanted with out refueling
the difference between getting in and out
of our other car a BA Ghia is totally different
and a lot easier
thanks John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2014, 11:20 AM   #23
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

If you are buying the car through a dealer, try and talk to the previous owner about any issues they had with the car. They no longer own the car, so I find they are pretty straight up about any issues they have had.

If the dealer you are buying the car from won't give you the previous owner's contact details (they'll often quote privacy laws, which is a load of hogwash) and the car is only a one owner, contact the original selling dealership, describe the car (VIN, rego, etc) and they may well provide you with the original owner's contact details.

If none of that is successful, if you can contact the original selling dealership, there is a good chance that they did most of the servicing, at least for the warranty period, so you can ask them about the history of the vehicle. Again, they have no vested interest one way or the other, so (in my experience at least) they are pretty open about what issues the vehicle has had.

Whilst a check by an independent mechanic is a good idea, to me it only tells part of the story.

Good luck with your Territory search, Rachel.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
You guys have been really helpful, thanks so much for all your advice. At the moment, I'm going to go start looking at cars in early January, and hopefully buy one around the same time. But my plan of attack is bring my dad along for the initial inspection and get a mechanic out for any that I'm seriously considering.

I've got maybe three in mind.
You might get a better deal if you look to purchase in the last week of December - dealers will be itching to close the books before Xmas...
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #25
rachel
Starter Motor

Thanks for the advice Craig, I'll definitely be looking into that avenue. I don't know if I'll get a chance late December to look, I work out rural and I'm not likely to get there before January, but thanks anyway.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #26
ljf12

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
If you are buying the car through a dealer, try and talk to the previous owner about any issues they had with the car. They no longer own the car, so I find they are pretty straight up about any issues they have had.

If the dealer you are buying the car from won't give you the previous owner's contact details (they'll often quote privacy laws, which is a load of hogwash) and the car is only a one owner, contact the original selling dealership, describe the car (VIN, rego, etc) and they may well provide you with the original owner's contact details.

If none of that is successful, if you can contact the original selling dealership, there is a good chance that they did most of the servicing, at least for the warranty period, so you can ask them about the history of the vehicle. Again, they have no vested interest one way or the other, so (in my experience at least) they are pretty open about what issues the vehicle has had.

Whilst a check by an independent mechanic is a good idea, to me it only tells part of the story.

Good luck with your Territory search, Rachel.

Craig H
I wouldn't like to think that a dealer (or anybody else for for that matter) would hand out my contact details without my consent.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #27
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljf12 View Post
I wouldn't like to think that a dealer (or anybody else for for that matter) would hand out my contact details without my consent.
Name and address of the original owner is normally in the log book anyway.

I'd also like to see the receipts from the service centre as well as the service stamps. Most people will keep the service receipts and tuck them in the logbook. If it's been serviced by a dealership then any dealership should be able to access the service records to cross check.

If you are buying from a non dealership then be wary if the last service happened after the trade. It probably is just a stamp.
Old 27-01-2015, 04:56 PM   #28
rachel
Starter Motor

Hey all! Sorry it took so long in the replying, but I wanted to pass on that I found myself an excellent 2010 Territory to pick up.

Here's a picture of my new car. It's been about a month and I'm still in love with it. I find it guzzles less than I was expecting, and it is simply a pleasure to drive on the open country highways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tabitha 2.jpg (57.2 KB, 40 views)
5 users like this post: