Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Alan Loy
Starter Motor

Default About to pick up a new Focus

Hi my name is Alan and I'm a Focus owner

I'm picking up my new Focus Trend auto tomorrow.

Any hints on things I need to know.

Is 95 octane the way to go?

Running in tips?
Alan Loy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2015, 08:10 AM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: About to pick up a new Focus

Have you had a read of any of the threads in here? It appears the auto does have some problems. I can't personally comment on this as we own a manual.

Generally speaking they are a great car. We have now had ours (2014 Sport) for almost 12 months and done about 13,000ks in it and have not had a problem with it.

Some people have complained about it pinging on 91 octane however, once again, we have no problems running it on 91 octane and even E10.

For running in, you will get a thousand opinions on this. My opinion is to just drive it normally. If you do need to do a long trip in it just vary your speed a little from time to time.

Last edited by PG2; 07-06-2015 at 08:33 AM.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #3
Alan Loy
Starter Motor

We have an auto so I will cross my fingers.

As its a long weekend I should be able to get a few Ks up. I'm more worried about the short trips to work etc.

Filled it with 95 and will see how she goes

Cheers
Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 AM   #4
country focus
Country Focus

Have had my trend for 12 months now and have had no problems, just remember if you stop on a slope always use the brake to hold the car and not the transmission, I was a mechanic in a former job and have a good mate that is the service manager at the local ford dealership and that is the only advice he gave me.
country focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2015, 10:20 AM   #5
Binny

Welcome to the forum Alan.

I suspect there has been a lack of response to your post because no one wants to take the shine off your new car purchase by talking about the issues with the dry clutch powershift. There are a lot of people in here who have been burnt by it.

Take heart though because they aren't all like that. Two of my work colleagues own them (2013 and 2014) and they have been trouble free. One does extremely short trips and it has never left the city, the other commutes from the Gold Coast to Brisbane (over 800k a week) so very different driving conditions.

The best thing you can do now is relax and enjoy the car, however, it pays to be well educated about the issues so you recognise them if they appear. If the issues arise, do not let the dealer tell you "they all do that" or "it's within spec".
If you haven't read the following thread I suggest you do as it will tell you everything there is to know about the issues. It will take a long time and be a bit scary for you to read but worth it for the knowledge you will gain. There is also a great video linked to near the end that shows a powershift being pulled apart and leaking oil seal replaced.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11399507

Enjoy your new car, apart from the transmission the Focus is still one of the better cars in its class. My brother also has one but in Manual and it's really nice to drive.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #6
Lewy950
Starter Motor

I did 43000kms in my trend auto before selling it. Had no issues. Ran on e10 for all except 6 tanks of 98. Avg fuel was 7.2l/100kms over that time.

Only sold it as it was too small for a pram and dogs.
Lewy950 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Alan Loy
Starter Motor

Thanks guys. I've clocked up some 400 ks over the weekend and I'm happy.

Just to prove that the gods have a sense of humour, after reading about the gearbox issues I had a "moment" this morning when I accelerated from a low speed (to pass a cyclist ) and the box went into neutral the engine revved high and then things went on as normal.

I hope this is the only issue
Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #8
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Loy View Post
Thanks guys. I've clocked up some 400 ks over the weekend and I'm happy.

Just to prove that the gods have a sense of humour, after reading about the gearbox issues I had a "moment" this morning when I accelerated from a low speed (to pass a cyclist ) and the box went into neutral the engine revved high and then things went on as normal.

I hope this is the only issue
I used to drive mine exclusively in select shift mode to prevent just this sort of software/computer anomaly. The DCT is just not able to reliably react in all situation, which is the very reason I sold mine.

I was just fed up driving around its inadequacies.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post