Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Australian Classic Ford - Getting a bit thin on the ground

I dont know if anyone else has notice but I have been looking for a suitable car, pretty much pre-XC and hopefully in the 70's classic Falcon/Fairmont/Fairlane.

My criteria is a little different as I actually want a column shift and bench seat (stop converting them to T-Bar's people!) but I am finding that the Australian stuff is either a complete wreck, has been over restored or the person holding onto it swears its a great base for a GT replica.

I get the ol'thoery of supply and demand but I am coming to the conclusion that its going to be easier and cheaper to get something that has been imported from the US than find something decent locally.

Im not really worried about it being LHD (its a weekender) and all the drivetrains are more or less the same.

I would prefer a local car but some of the imported stuff is hard to go by, for example..

http://www.justauto.com.au/justcars/...cktext=Results

Same goes for say a Mustang vs a Falcon Coupe, $60k gets you a pretty damn fine Mustang (actually alot less will).

I didnt grow up in the era so perhaps there is less emotional attachment which drives me to not see the "value". My memory is hazy but I thought this equation used to be the other way around?

The imports would generally have a broader appeal come resale time aswell?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 04-09-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #2
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 
Default Re: Australian Classic Ford - Getting a bit think on the ground

The first Montego is Mint.
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australian Classic Ford - Getting a bit thin on the ground

I think the same way, love that Cyclone GT.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...3446421/?Cr=10

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-3549037/?Cr=0

Love the late 70's Lincoln Continentals and this ones a beauty -
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...3474433/?Cr=15
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep .. I think the same way too. I'd love another XB Coupe, VH Charger, VG hardtop, etc .. But imported stuff seems to make better financial sense these days.

Probably only disclaimer Might be a preference for pre-1969 stuff .. No ADRs means no engineer reports in states like Vic.

Lots of stuff out there which likely fits your criteria. Good luck with the search.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
........................The imports would generally have a broader appeal come resale time as well?
Brace for big changes in the cost of imports guys. The Australian market for classic American cars has not yet adjusted to the combined effects of:-
A) the 30%+ drop in the exchange rate, and
B) the rise in USA consumer confidence and strengthening of the USD$
This has led to a rise in value of these cars in America.
So if you are contemplating buying your favourite classic Mustang or similar import, I suggest you do it now.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
Jacko*
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here you go, just put a bench seat in this one. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1973-XA-F...item2ca0ee3064
Old 05-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The time to buy American Iron was a few years back. When the AUD was above parity, and the seppo's were reeling from the GFC. I seriously looked at importing a Lincoln, and they were going for a song in the States.

Not sure about the Bench Seats, but I'm with you on the Column Shift. Nothing worse than seeing a classic with some hole hacked in the tunnel, and a "console" that looks like it was made from a lunchbox.
This user likes this post:
Old 06-09-2015, 05:10 PM   #8
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Polyal hear what you are saying. I was lucky enough to put a bit of golden age Aussie classic (column shift and the split bench buckets on a Fairmont) away for later when they were cheaper. My young one wants the same style of car everyone else seems to want (XW-B GS packs) and is not enjoying the pricing - but he will prevail no doubt. We've noticed the early 70s Comet GT's as having a bit of that whole 'XA coupeness' at a fraction of the cost.

The other Aussie Fords I'm interested in are the early Tickfords (lots of engineering goodness in them, coloured stripes/inserts like the GS of old, attractive styling for the era) and they are a dime a dozen at present. But I can't convince the young one over the classic styling of XB's. The Tickfords' value for good original examples is perhaps the greatest of all in the current market. If only I had shedded away 10 XA or LC coupes in the early 1990s...
Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 AM   #9
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Thought this was pretty cool.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1970-FORD...item43e1c4b611
This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:08 PM   #10
snowcone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO View Post
After 1966 the Thunderbird grew into that "thing" in the ad and that was the end of the true "Birds"
Those later years ones have no value in the states and should be cheap as chips.
2002 Ford Explorer

I only drive V8's
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 02:55 PM   #11
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone View Post
After 1966 the Thunderbird grew into that "thing" in the ad and that was the end of the true "Birds"
Those later years ones have no value in the states and should be cheap as chips.
That’s fairly true.

Any reasonable condition Bird from the late ‘60’s to mid ‘70’s usually falls within the $10-15,000 USD range but their popularity is slowly increasing as the older models start to price their way out of the average enthusiast’s wallet.

And even though Aussies see the older models as the image of the T’Bird, back home the newer models are well regarded by the generation that grew up with them.

I’ve seen many newer models at car shows in the US that have been restored or modified and look fantastic.

It’s much the same as your personal popularity for an XR, XW, XA, XD and so on will often depend on which one you grew up with.

The fact a Phase 3 is at the top price wise doesn’t mean the other models aren’t as equally loved by many enthusiasts.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Those 4 you have picked are tough as!
Old 07-09-2015, 07:46 PM   #13
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found that out a few years ago. We wanted a "fun car", a ute. I'm badge blind...I like everything but have a soft spot for Valiants.
We said, OK, we'll narrow it down to a Falcon XA/B/C ute, a Valiant ute, or a Kingswood.
We really wanted a Valiant ute, preferably with a 265 hemi. Nope...one or two for sale, in other states, and usually with what I call a "Wife Price" on it...a ludicrously high price you put on something when the missus says "Why don't you sell that old car/bike/boat?", so you dutifully go ahead and advertise it. "It's not my fault no one wants to buy it, dear..."

Falcon utes were much the same...but I honestly didn't see one for sale anywhere in a few months of searching...you don't even see them driving around nowadays.

Kingswoods from HQ to WB? Literally hundreds for sale in all states and all types. That's what we ended up with.

But Falcons and Valiant utes? You could count on one hand the number of them you will see driving around in traffic each year....
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The time to buy American Iron was a few years back. When the AUD was above parity, and the seppo's were reeling from the GFC. I seriously looked at importing a Lincoln, and they were going for a song in the States.

Not sure about the Bench Seats, but I'm with you on the Column Shift. Nothing worse than seeing a classic with some hole hacked in the tunnel, and a "console" that looks like it was made from a lunchbox.
Yeah when I said stuff from the states I meant what was already here, Ill let someone else to the heavy lifting at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
The first Montego is Mint.
Yes and I swear I saw it for $15k on another site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Brace for big changes in the cost of imports guys. The Australian market for classic American cars has not yet adjusted to the combined effects of:-
A) the 30%+ drop in the exchange rate, and
B) the rise in USA consumer confidence and strengthening of the USD$
This has led to a rise in value of these cars in America.
So if you are contemplating buying your favourite classic Mustang or similar import, I suggest you do it now.
Agreed, but as above, while it still limits choice Im happy to pick from the imported stuff already in. Our economy is hurting at the moment so there are some good buys out there.

There is a really nice XC Wagon (blue one) on ebay too at the moment but T-BAR :( Im in no hurry so something will pop up.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-09-2015, 08:07 PM   #15
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Found that out a few years ago. We wanted a "fun car", a ute. I'm badge blind...I like everything but have a soft spot for Valiants.
We said, OK, we'll narrow it down to a Falcon XA/B/C ute, a Valiant ute, or a Kingswood.
We really wanted a Valiant ute, preferably with a 265 hemi. Nope...one or two for sale, in other states, and usually with what I call a "Wife Price" on it...a ludicrously high price you put on something when the missus says "Why don't you sell that old car/bike/boat?", so you dutifully go ahead and advertise it. "It's not my fault no one wants to buy it, dear..."

Falcon utes were much the same...but I honestly didn't see one for sale anywhere in a few months of searching...you don't even see them driving around nowadays.

Kingswoods from HQ to WB? Literally hundreds for sale in all states and all types. That's what we ended up with.

But Falcons and Valiant utes? You could count on one hand the number of them you will see driving around in traffic each year....
Yeah I dont know what it is, were there more Holdens built in that era? I notice that there are HEAPS more competitively priced HSV's for sale aswell (OT though).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must have been...driving around Rocky (and Bundy and Emerald and other areas) you see piles of Kingswood utes of all kinds, but virtually no Falcon or Valiant utes, and believe me I would have noticed them if they were there...I love spotting old cars.

No idea why it is so...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post