Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-12-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 02 sensor

they say an 02 sensor should be replaced between 50000-100000 ks but a faulty sensor should show up on the dash. anyone agree
david lee is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: 02 sensor

No don't agree David, my original one was stuffed & no dash light on, used another stuffed one for testing purposes & again no dash lights. Just change it out & be done with it hey.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-12-2015, 08:04 PM   #3
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
No don't agree David, my original one was stuffed & no dash light on, used another stuffed one for testing purposes & again no dash lights. Just change it out & be done with it hey.

cheer's, Maka
thanks i will i can buy the bosch one for $60 delivered.does that sound good
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Yep sounds about right, is it from ebay? I got mine for $50 delivered off ebay (Glossop st Spares St Marys). Anyway good decision mate, good luck with it!

cheer's, Maka
Old 16-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #5
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep sounds about right, is it from ebay? I got mine for $50 delivered off ebay (Glossop st Spares St Marys). Anyway good decision mate, good luck with it!

cheer's, Maka
yes off ebay spareboxauto tempe.item no 151649168990. did it improve you fuel consumption
Old 16-12-2015, 10:03 PM   #6
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Yep heaps, with grandpa driving style I now get low to mid 12s city & around 7.5 hwy. I also use 5/30 motor oil & 95 octane juice. Very happy with those figures for sure!!!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 16-12-2015, 10:28 PM   #7
Strattos

Agree with Maka. Replaced mine about 20,000ks ago and while there were no indicators on the dash, and it didn't even throw any error codes on a scan tool, as soon as I replaced them it solved the problem I was having at the time

My 02s were just over 120,000k old when they went.

Past: 1984 XE Falcon sedan 4.1L.
Strattos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep heaps, with grandpa driving style I now get low to mid 12s city & around 7.5 hwy. I also use 5/30 motor oil & 95 octane juice. Very happy with those figures for sure!!!

cheer's, Maka
wow thats great if i can get anyware near that ill be happy.so its bolt on plug in and thats it.why couldnt a mechanic tell me.they kept saying that that was normal consumption.i just knew it was to high.its probably never been changed. its got 175000 klms.ill run a post later on my results thanks mate
Old 17-12-2015, 01:44 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Reset your ecu when you install the new o2 sensor (yep, bolt in plug in), take it for a couple of good hwy run's & see how you go. The hwy runs will help fix your around town figures too. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka

Old 17-12-2015, 07:23 PM   #10
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Reset your ecu when you install the new o2 sensor (yep, bolt in plug in), take it for a couple of good hwy run's & see how you go. The hwy runs will help fix your around town figures too. Good luck!

cheer's, Maka
whats involved in reseting the ecu thanks
Old 17-12-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

If yours is a s2 or 3, do a search first to get some in depth info. My car is s1 smartlock & no issues disconnecting the battery but smartshield can be different & iirc you may get some issue where the battery & bcm stop communicating when reconnecting the battery, hence why I say research first.

Members with s2's & 3's hopefully can chime in & let you know how to go about it properly, the disconnection may be just like s1/ smartshield I'm not sure but I needed to give you some info to be safe first.

If its like s1's just disconnect the battery leads, put the headlights on high beam, step on the brake pedal then shut car down & let sit for a couple of hours then reconnect the leads & punch in the radio code if running a factory stereo. Car will drive hairy for a little while & after about a week you should see some improvement compared to before with the old sensor. Good luck mate!

cheer's, Maka

Old 17-12-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If yours is a s2 or 3, do a search first to get some in depth info. My car is s1 smartlock & no issues disconnecting the battery but smartshield can be different & iirc you may get some issue where the battery & bcm stop communicating when reconnecting the battery, hence why I say research first.

Members with s2's & 3's hopefully can chime in & let you know how to go about it properly, the disconnection may be just like s1/ smartshield I'm not sure but I needed to give you some info to be safe first.

If its like s1's just disconnect the battery leads, put the headlights on high beam, step on the brake pedal then shut car down & let sit for a couple of hours then reconnect the leads & punch in the radio code if running a factory stereo. Car will drive hairy for a little while & after about a week you should see some improvement compared to before with the old sensor. Good luck mate!

cheer's, Maka
thanks its a s3
Old 17-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #13
david lee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cheer's, Maka
before you changed you sensor was you car running good or did you change it just for the better fuel consumption as mine runs perfect apart from poor fuel economy
Old 17-12-2015, 10:54 PM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Well it was using about 4.3 litres above standard factory figures & it wouldn't rev above 5100rpm when i first got it, so I renewed a lot of worn out / faulty service parts (o2 sensor included) to bring it back to its former glory after the ecu relearnt its parameters with the new service parts. Hope this helps!

cheer's, Maka

Old 08-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #15
Engineer
Cookie Monster

Make sure you use NTK O2 sensors...they are the best ones I have used to date. The AU has a floating earth signal in the O2 sensor circuit snd if you get an O2 sensor that has its own earth (like a VDO o2 sensor) it will make your car stall and idle rough at random times. They are only a little more expensive....but it is worthwhile..

I struggled for 6 months with a VDO O2 sensor that caused my car to be a random staller and rough idler. All due to my brand new VDO sensors that had their own earth line...switched to NTK and it was like a new again...
Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer View Post
Make sure you use NTK O2 sensors...they are the best ones I have used to date. The AU has a floating earth signal in the O2 sensor circuit snd if you get an O2 sensor that has its own earth (like a VDO o2 sensor) it will make your car stall and idle rough at random times. They are only a little more expensive....but it is worthwhile..

I struggled for 6 months with a VDO O2 sensor that caused my car to be a random staller and rough idler. All due to my brand new VDO sensors that had their own earth line...switched to NTK and it was like a new again...
Thanks for the nice bit of info Engineer, very handy to know! NTK or Bosch would be the two I would be considering, have heard of issues with other lesser brands.

cheer's, Maka