Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Preppers/prepping

So another useless post from Boza.
Been stuck at home due to illness on the couch watching lot's of mindless and useless TV to escape some narly pain.
Anyway been trying to watch those prepper show's about people trying to survive a nuclear attck zombie's etc...

I tried googling this but no joy so will ask on here why in the hell would you wanna live in a bunker in a post apocalyptic world with radiation everywhere I would rather just get wiped out in the attack or the earthquake or what ever it seems like every seppo is trying to prepare for something.
Was watching wheeler dealers and even on there they had Mike Brewer runing around with a booklet about earthquakes shivering in his boots and they end up building a old S2 landrover for the end of days why is the american media so focused on these scenarios and scaring people half to death about something that may happen and they use every spare minute of they're lives preparing for some event instead of relaxing on the porch with a cold one. I simply don't get the whole prepper movement I know there are even shops and websites that are aimed towards it and are making a killing is this just some media ploy.
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Preppers/prepping

Those shows are entertaining... is that the one that gives a rating??

They come up with some clever stuff but if the stool hit the fan most of these setups wouldn't last a week.

They assume the bad guys will play ball and just leave them alone.

The only way they may have a chance is if the setup is totally in the middle of nowhere and no one knows about it but you and you happen to be there bunkered down before Skynet becomes self aware.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 04:17 PM   #3
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw one of these shows once where the toughguy had built his underground bunker and had all his food and water and guns, then one day he was doing some shooting practice with his kids and he shot his thumb off or something and fainted from the sight of blood, lol.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 05:42 PM   #4
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Typically they find the biggest nutcases they can to throw on that show. I would never label myself a "prepper" or anything like that but I don't think being prepared is a bad thing. It doesn't just mean storing heaps of guns and digging a great big hole in your backyard. In fact, I would have thought hoarding just makes them bigger targets.

Ensuring you have enough cash to pay your upcoming bills - that's just as important as honing Ray Mears-like bushcraft skills.

You never know what might happen and the pages of history tell some chilling tales. It doesn't impact my life much to have a good supply of drinking water and plenty of food on hand. It didn't cost me any extra to purchase my camping/bushcraft equipment because I use it all the time any way.

Like anything, some people go way over the top.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

btw, one prep they all seem to overlook on "Doomsday Preppers" is the importance of physical conditioning.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get a laugh at the hippy prepper's that think they wont need firearms to protect their compound if *&^% hits the fan, just hugs and handshakes lol.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I've watched these prepper shows before as well, some of them are quite humorous. Usually they revolve around guns and bunkers.

Forgetting of course that, for Americans, if WW3 broke out most of the country would get toasted so much of the preparations by the 'doomsters' would be pretty pointless!

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #8
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The showed some brainiacs making liquis pepper spray that they were experimenting with they used water guns and massive super soaker's but unfortunatley for some unkown reason it didn't have the desired effect and they lept tinkering with the recipe and trying on themselves lol.

I just don't see the point of sitting in a metal box underground somewhere if there was a nuclear strike it's not like your gonna go out and your food and water will run out eventually anyway so what's the point?
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #9
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spending all or a disproportionate amount of your free time preparing for the high consequence highly unlikely scenarios seems a waste of life to me.

I'd rather die than live in some post apocalyptic hole being sketchy as **** all the time
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 08:15 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

I'd like to go out with the big bang!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #11
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting to see some of the ideas the nutcases come up with. Some Americans use doomsday scenarios as reasons why they should be able to buy whatever gun they want.

The ones who prep for the Zombie apocalypse are the craziest ones of all. It's impossible for zombies to exists.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Interesting to see some of the ideas the nutcases come up with. Some Americans use doomsday scenarios as reasons why they should be able to buy whatever gun they want.

The ones who prep for the Zombie apocalypse are the craziest ones of all. It's impossible for zombies to exists.
I agree. There is fine line between being able to find/filter water and light a fire as opposed to dragging your kids out of school so they can dig slit-trenches just in case the zombies come.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #13
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know

Read this dudes Zombi fallout series http://www.marktufo.com/books.html

(Yea I'm joking but they're a good read)

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Heck, even Obama suggest people 'be prepared' for events.

Quote:
One of the things that we have learned over the course of the last seven and a half years is that government plays a vital role, but it is every citizen’s responsibility to be prepared for a disaster. And that means taking proactive steps, like having an evacuation plan, having a fully stocked disaster supply kit. If your local authorities ask you to evacuate, you have to do it. Don’t wait.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...ional-response
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2016, 08:11 PM   #15
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

You know you're late to the party when the US government starts telling people to do it...
Old 28-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Meh.. Lord Baden Powell has been telling us since Noah played halfback for Jerusalem.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post