Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-11-2016, 12:28 AM   #1
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mike baird Strikes again

AFAIK there has been no outbreak of accidents involving P-platers and mobile devices.

A blanket ban on mobile use seems absurd when adequate laws already exist.

Only Baird would ban talking maps a top invention.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ps-big-mistake

Remember street directories? Remember flipping through them, following a blue line from page 7, Section D8 through to page 43, Section F1, and then only to have to move on to page 115, Section B9? Often, doing this while you were driving?

In the name of safety, that’s what the NSW government wants P-platers to do again.

From 1 December, P-plate licence holders in NSW will be banned from any use of a mobile phone while driving.

That’s right – any. Not just texting. No talking – not even hands-free through a blue-tooth system in the car. No listening to music. And no using maps applications.
Mike Baird to trumpet successes but health and education aren't among them
Read more

That the nanny-state NSW Coalition government – led by the Mike “Lock-out Laws” Baird – should make such a regulation is not surprising. But it is concerning when state governments, often keen to look like they are “doing something”, overreach in the name of safety.

Now, as the mother of one P2 driver and another soon-to-be L-plater, I appreciate measures that make our roads safer. And, as a former premier, I appreciate the near-irresistible pull of new regulations to a government.

In this case, the Baird government should have thought less about road regulations and more about the law of unintended consequences.

Sometimes a well-intentioned actions can actually create the opposite of what it is meant to achieve. Occasionally governments even figure this out before making such a decision. For example, the US government agency charged with keeping people safe on planes, the FAA, regularly refuses to ban lap-held travel for toddlers, even though it is safer for them to have their own seat.

The FAA calculates that requiring every child have their own airline seat would cause more families to drive instead of fly, due to the increased cost. But driving is riskier than flying, for everyone. The FAA calculates the unintended consequences of making babies “safer” on planes is that travel becomes more risky for everyone.

How does the law of unintended consequences work when it comes to P-plate drivers and mobile phones? Yes, using a mobile phone – even on blue-tooth – can be risky. But think about how much safer a maps application makes driving for young people. Young drivers are less likely to know how to get where they are going. They are simultaneously trying to focus on the mechanics of both driving and navigating. The maps app substantially takes care of the latter job, freeing the young person to focus on the former.

Tell me – would you rather that the P-plate driver in front of you is listening to Google Maps on his phone tell him where to turn right in 800 meters, or is looking down at the book on his lap, flipping through pages, and trying to figure out what box in the street directory grid he is currently on?
The stories you need to read, in one handy email
Read more

Talk about distracting. Talk about making it harder for young drivers. Talk about making the roads less safe for everyone.

The Baird government would respond that P-platers will be permitted to use GPS satellite navigation devices, just as long as they aren’t phones. Well, that’s terrific – if your family has a car that has a navigation system installed, or if you have a few hundred extra dollars to throw around.

I’d like to see Mike Baird explain to parents or young people why they should shell out $229 ($449 with internet access to get traffic information) for a satnav system to replace the exact function available on a phone for free. Or maybe he could explain to cash-strapped families why their kid is somehow safer reading a book while driving instead of listening to a maps app.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 12:35 AM   #2
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mike baird Strikes again

I think a lot of it stems from numerous P-platers being pulled over for clearly using their mobile phone whilst driving (holding it in front of you on speaker is very obvious...) and they all use the "but I was only using the GPS" excuse.

I know a number of cops, and this is a regular occurrence. One of their favourites is the "UFO has landed on the driver's shoulder" - referencing the very obvious glow of an active phone being held up to an ear at night.

I've even seen & heard the pathetic excuses myself, right beside me, queued in traffic, when a bike cop split lanes, looking in cars, and spotted the red P-plater beside me texting - all of a sudden he was lost, and told the cop he needed to use the GPS to find his house. I was able to hear whilst eavesdropping, that it was noted by the cop that his home address on his licence was literally the next cross street.......
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 12:52 AM   #3
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes there are laws for mobile use already for obvious reasons.

Banning Google maps and listening to music is fairly draconian and is of dubious safety value.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 01:01 AM   #4
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

This guy has lost the plot. Every time I drive past one of his Cash-Cameras, I curse his name. The problem is that the opposing party would not be one bit better. We need more Trumps to spring up in this world!
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 03:26 AM   #5
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Sounds like Baird-brain has shares in melway/sydway, etc.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Christmas is coming, if you care about your child buy them one of these.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...s-unit/975127/
It takes calls via Bluetooth or is that not allowed either.
Old 30-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of a shame because the RMS put out a free app called speed adviser with a P plate setting.
Basically tells you whenever you're going over the limit.
I hope it doesn't spread to the adults, I use mine for a Dashcam, a GPS, an Elm327 monitor and a Speed Alert.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 11:43 AM   #8
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Yangs View Post
Christmas is coming, if you care about your child buy them one of these.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-au...s-unit/975127/
It takes calls via Bluetooth or is that not allowed either.
P-platers can not take bluetooth calls on their mobile.

Your suggestion may be a way around it which would make the law in some cases redundant
Old 30-11-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I use my street directory, I pull over to read it.

I've tried my wife's GPS unit and by the time you've tried typing the street name in and hit BACK by accident so you have to start again, I'm sure the Gregorys was the better option.

A little less reliance on phones is a good thing I think.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
When I use my street directory, I pull over to read it.

I've tried my wife's GPS unit and by the time you've tried typing the street name in and hit BACK by accident so you have to start again, I'm sure the Gregorys was the better option.

A little less reliance on phones is a good thing I think.
Bloody GPS....my street has been spelt incorrectly, so nobody can find it.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Once upon a time, you would get the Gregory's out & plan your route before starting your journey, then if you get lost you pull over & check the Gregory's again & find the correct way to your destination. Not that hard lol!

Nothing irks me more than drivers with a mobile phone up against their scone while driving, see alot when doing the daily school run...

Its a bit of a sledgehammer approach but in this instance I would rather a strong solution to this ongoing issue. Piece of mind for parents of young learner drivers.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Once upon a time, you would get the Gregory's out & plan your route before starting your journey, then if you get lost you pull over & check the Gregory's again & find the correct way to your destination. Not that hard lol!
More like you drove around trying to find your destination with the Gregory's in your lap and spent half your time looking down.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 04:09 PM   #13
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
More like you drove around trying to find your destination with the Gregory's in your lap and spent half your time looking down.
No, I would pull over if I was by myself mate. Your passenger would/could help read the street directory if they were literate back then lol.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #14
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are we not banned from touching mobile phones already? I did not think mobile phone gps was legal amyway for anybody...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #15
nstg8a

Pretty much unpolicable.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #16
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a great idea. They are a pox on our roads.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
Yes there are laws for mobile use already for obvious reasons.

Banning Google maps and listening to music is fairly draconian and is of dubious safety value.
Hey mate I use car radio & a gps unit, no need to hold a phone, good on Mike Baird for his stance.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 12:14 AM   #18
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its hardly a problem specific to P platers.. the majority of people I see doing it aren't P platers.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: