Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-11-2017, 01:25 PM   #1
vdmruss

Default ADR42/00 - Third/Second Edition ADR Dillema

Hi,

Anyone with knowledge about ADR compliance? This one is really confusing. I will try to keep it as simple as I can.

1) I've got a car that is built in May 1989 prior to Third Edition ADRs becoming a national standard (This occurred in July 1989).

2) I am in NSW.

3) ADR42/00 says that cars built from July 1988 need to comply. However, this standard only properly appeared in July 1989 and I can't find any evidence if this standard being mentioned anywhere prior to gazetting in July 1989 for the national code.

4) I have a Second Edition ADR compliance plate & I don't have ADR42/00 listed. All ADR's on the compliance plate are definitely Second Edition stuff.

5) I didn't find ADR42 (without /00) in the Second Edition ADR's, so I assume it didn't exist in an earlier form?

Do I need to comply with this standard or not? As far as I know, cars need to only comply with ADRs manufactured at the time.

Any help appreciated.

Best Regards,
Dan
vdmruss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 01:57 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: ADR42/00 - Third/Second Edition ADR Dillema

Think you answered your own question, your car needs to comply with the standards at time of build unless you add something that complies with later standards.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As you have all the ADRs listed on the compliance plate, it's an easy one - you only have to comply with those.

It's harder with later ones that have type approval, as they don't list all the individual ADRs on them.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

ADR42 is general vehicle safety. is there a particular aspect of this that you are concerned about, or just the generality
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 04:35 PM   #5
vdmruss

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
ADR42 is general vehicle safety. is there a particular aspect of this that you are concerned about, or just the generality
This part:

Quote:
42.9. EXTERNAL OR INTERNAL PROTRUSIONS

42.9.1. No vehicle must be equipped with:

42.9.1.1. any object or fitting, not technically essential to such vehicle, which protrudes from any part of the vehicle so that it is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person;

42.9.1.2. any object or fitting technically essential to such vehicle unless its design, construction and conditions and the manner in which it is affixed to the vehicle are such as to reduce to a minimum the risk of bodily injury to any person;

42.9.1.3. any object or fitting which, because it is pointed or has a sharp edge, is likely to increase the risk of bodily injury to any person; or

42.9.1.4. any bumper bar the end of which is not turned towards the body of the vehicle to a sufficient extent to avoid any risk of hooking or grazing.
Just wondering in regards to my bullbar and how they may decide to bend the laws in the future when the exemption period ends. This is the only relevant standard that may possibly apply to my car for this issue.

ADR42/00 does look like it's part of "Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989" and implemented in July 1989. Not sure why it says it covers vehicles from July 1988. I guess it was some transition period where you could be stuck with either possibilities.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmruss View Post
This part:

Just wondering in regards to my bullbar and how they may decide to bend the laws in the future when the exemption period ends. This is the only relevant standard that may possibly apply to my car for this issue.

ADR42/00 does look like it's part of "Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989" and implemented in July 1989. Not sure why it says it covers vehicles from July 1988. I guess it was some transition period where you could be stuck with either possibilities.
Bullbars are covered under State legislation and technically should conform to Australian Standard AS4876.1-2002 if being fitted now. (although there was a new proposal being worked through last year I think !??)

The ADRs are a minimum a vehicle must comply to in Aus.... each State can legislate above these minimum requirements, if they choose to do so.
You might want to have a look at relevant versions of the Motor Vehicle Act/legislation in your State !??

Dhru

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happy reading. http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....tolerances.pdf
Do you have a crystal ball to know what happens after Sep 2019.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2017, 08:02 PM   #8
vdmruss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Bullbars are covered under State legislation and technically should conform to Australian Standard AS4876.1-2002 if being fitted now. (although there was a new proposal being worked through last year I think !??)

The ADRs are a minimum a vehicle must comply to in Aus.... each State can legislate above these minimum requirements, if they choose to do so.
You might want to have a look at relevant versions of the Motor Vehicle Act/legislation in your State !??

Dhru
In the state of NSW, AS4876.1-2002 only applies to later model vehicles as per Road Transport Regulation 2017.

Quote:
29 Protrusions(cf ALVSR 2015 r 29; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 25)

(3) A vehicle frontal protection system that is fitted on a motor vehicle that:

(a) has a GVM not over 3.5 tonnes, and

(b) is manufactured on or after 1 January 2003,

must comply with AS 4876.1–2002 Motor vehicle frontal protection systems—Road user protection (except clause 3.2).

(4) Subrule (3) does not apply to a vehicle frontal protection system fitted on a motor vehicle if the model of the vehicle is a model of a kind manufactured before 1 January 2003.

Quote:
Happy reading. http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....tolerances.pdf
Do you have a crystal ball to know what happens after Sep 2019.
I've already read that document. It's just a summary of all applicable ADR's and regulations gathered to date. There is nothing new there. ADR42/00 is the only one I am wondering about. I do wonder what they are cooking up there, my guess is that only strapping pillows onto your car will be legal from Sep 2019 ... or, most likely, they will just enforce the rules already in place.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #9
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I'd think 42.9.1.2 is your get out of jail card, but you'd probably better get a professional interpretation if you are concerned.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post