Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-03-2006, 09:39 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Exclamation You want light ? !

lol . this is sorta a car lighting topic and not.. so to say ..Just having a bit of a ramble about something interesting i seen today ....
Ever had an idiot rip infront of you and cut you off, and wanted to get their attention to let them know how you felt about it - with more than just flashing ya hi-beams or ya horn ! ?? .
Well , while getting a new 600w 240v globe for my projector from a 'stage & disco lighting' shop today, i noticed they now they have a new range of 12v DC halogen lights right up to 1500 watts ! , they are the size of a standard halogen car lamp pretty much , same H4 fitting , you could use 1 of these alone mounted seperatelly ( only need 1 ! ) on ya car as a blinder for flashing idiots ! ( mount hidden behind the front grill in the centre or something like that ) , put a hi-temp glass fresnel lense infont of one of these globes - spaced away from the globe at the right distance - and you could literally be melting holes in the back of their car !! .. lol , dam bright halogen light though 1500 watt ! , would definately drain ya battery and then some ..lol , would definatelly only be a few second flashing device as the heat it would put off would probably melt stuff on ya own car if left running for more than a few seconds ! - would drain the electrical system if ran for more than around half a minute too ( would melt stuff be4 then anyways ) specially with the addition of a fresnel lense ! ...
Have fun , something to look at if u want something different maybe ! ..lol ..
be carefull though , even a few hundred watts and a fresnel can blind you if you look directelly into it for a few seconds ! , and blister your eyes in the process ! .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Oh on the topic of fresnel lenses , some really good mods could be made from these imo to give some great effects if desired ( go for glass fresnel lenses , not cheap foggy flastic ones !) ..such as you could even use 1 cut to size over the top of the the original clear plastic diplay infront of all your guages on the dash , would give a magnified 3d kind of effect to your dials/display ! , you could put a small 1 infront of the tiny lcd clock on the dash (cut to size flush on lcd), it would make the clock much easier to read also as it would also magnifyi it slighty - also adding a 3d'ish effect to it without actually increasing its size physically. Heaps of uses for fresnels lenses, for those who don't know what they are - a good example of a big fresnel lense is the glass surface on a overhead projector (the surface you put ur clear slide onto ).. allthough these are very coarse fresnels and if u look close u can see like ring patterns in the glass , the stronger the magnification rate of the fresnel , the more visible the rings become when looking close . These glass lenses can also be ordered and cut to size from most 'stage and lighting' supply shops , if u want a rough idea of what a glass 1 will produce ( but not as clear ) then you can buy a plastic page magnifier from k-mart / big-w / or newsagents for around $2 ! ( these 1's are the size of a sheet of a4 paper) . .. good to mess with and cut to size so u can see the effect , then when happy you could have a glass 1 cut to size from your plastic fresnel template if you desired so. Just though i'de mention this incase someone was looking for a different kinda mod for inside the car - something different ! . just a few ideas ;) .

Old 24-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

to sum it up they are Flat magnifying glasses , also used on lighthouses ! .

Old 24-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #4
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok man are we trying to let that person know we're ИИИИed off at the manouvre they made or are we trying to run them off the road PMSL
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 10:56 PM   #5
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yum-Yum
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok man are we trying to let that person know we're ИИИИed off at the manouvre they made or are we trying to run them off the road PMSL

lmao , i'll leave that decision up to you ! :

Allthough all the above is true ! - im just having a bit off a laugh and wouldn't recomend anyone to do the 'super-mega-eye frying light beam' mod ! , just some poeple like to play (i have other serious things to do !) , but gee i'de like to see 1 going for a laugh :hihi: ! .lol, allthough using fresnel lenses for other reasons as i mentioned can have some great effects.

Old 24-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #6
Yum-Yum
My 1st set of Wings!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
lmao , i'll leave that decision up to you ! :
well then...the first victim will be my sister-in-law :Reverend:
Yum-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I swear ! - if you rigged something up like that and flashed it at someone from behind they would probably think a ufo just flew over them , or a flash from a sonic boom of a jet just hit them ...lmao - eye blinding bright ! - seriouslly ! . u'de be seeing blue dots for a few minutes after , give you an idea how bright - the standard of most projectors is only around 400 watt light MAX with a fresnel lense setup too. Look into the lense of a projector while it is on - bright huh - seeing blue dots ? hell yeah - well thats with 80% of the light blocked out too from the light passing through the dark lcd in the projector ! , and at only around 400 watt max probably! - you image 1500 watt of light with a fresnel and nothing blocking/darkening the light source ! - i'll leave that up to you ..lol ... put another lense infront of that at the right focal lenght and u'll have yaself a device that is to bright to imagine and capable of lighting fires ..be warned - be carefull ! . If you ever cooked ants as a kid with a magnifying glass and the sun (lol), then you know what im on about - its basically the same principal ! .
Back in the school days in science class i actually saw a device made like this from a 1000watt 240v globe and a fresnel lense infront of the globe, and a focal lense infront of the fresnel lense ( was all spaced accordingly apart for maximum focal and beam strength ) - this thing put out a thin bright as hell beam and 'Melted !' empty aluminium drink cans in seconds (like a coke can)- honestlly !

Last edited by XR6-VCT-2000; 24-03-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 24-03-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

anyway - back onto the more serious topic of using fresnels for nice small custom mods inside ya car .. ;)

Old 25-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You are one sick puppy! LOL!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 03:27 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
You are one sick puppy! LOL!

GK

lol , ty : .. i just posted this too see if any mad man does actually build 1 ! , as i said - i got other things to do, had my fun with that kinda stuff years ago .. ;)

Old 25-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

ill do it.

if you pay for it.