Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-01-2020, 04:17 PM   #61
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: CVT Transmissions ???

We recently bought a 2017 ASX for our daughter. I checked reviews and even the ones that were unhappy with the car as a whole had no bad things to say about the CVT. Over 100 reviews. The worst reviews were for the diesel. Unless I mention it my daughter will never know her car has one and there are thousands of ppl who won't know either.
Old 29-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #62
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
At the end of the day the revs to road speed don't alter
Umm, yes they do, that's the whole point of a CVT.
As I said, if I accelerate up to 100kph, and attempt to hold the revs, the gearbox will slowly tighten up.
It's not a big deal, just a bit disconcerting if you're accustomed to fixed ratios.

In any event, I am mostly concerned with longevity, as we are currently considering buying 2nd hand.
Old 30-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #63
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

I drive cvt equipped rental cars several times a year. They are getting better with time, but some manufacturers attempts are clearly better to drive than others. Mitsubishi and Nissan are at the bottom of my list. Even if you can fit an ex auto exec in a jatco case.

Im told they [cvts] have less moving parts than a conventional torque converter, but they are expensive to repair, on par with the much discussed zf 6 speed. Its got to effect their second hand market values eventually.

Toyota have introduced a regular first gear for the corolla cvt, after which the trans reverts to its cvt behaviour.

With the disappearance of manuals, companies that still use regular autos will get my interest in future. Especially if i cant get a low mileage b series ute as a second car, some day in the future.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 30-01-2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post