Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-02-2020, 03:46 AM   #61
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coronavirus Closes 5 Hyundai Factories.

I recall a previous thread re Ebola virus and claims that it was going to kill millions and that it was unstoppable.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 04:02 AM   #62
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
No, no.. wait a minute.., according to some folks living in their little corner of the world - with their heads firmly up their rear end, this just a "Storm in a tea cup". Something conjured up by financially struggling media apparently!

These folks would probably be the types who drive a few km's daily to work and back, and the occasional trip to the shops. Living in hole and never getting out in the real world.

Surprised that these folks didn't accuse face mask manufactures of conjuring up this virus to sell face masks by the ton.
The cynic in me made me put the question forward.
Can you refute the reasons I listed as to why I and many others are not swallowing the official story hook line n sinker?
Previous endemic scares that were suppose to wreak disaster on a global scale never eventuated, despite the sky is falling call from sensationalist media. A bit of déjà Vu going on.
Happy to be proven wrong. Time will tell.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 04:51 AM   #63
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Just heard from our work PPE committee that our supplier cannot source P2 disposable masks or disposable gloves anywhere in the country.

Apparently our supplier has been approached by the Chinese suppliers offering 5 times the original purchase price to purchase the items back. The supplier has now specified a maximum of two boxes per customer as they have had folks asking for more. Apparently they are buying up as much stock as they can and are returning them to China, in a similar way to the baby formula issue.

Mate's son works at the local Kmart. They normally run 4 shifts per week to unload new supplies. This has been cut to two.

The tentacles are spreading....
Not sure what industry you're in or the reason for posting about P2 mask availability.
I go with the advice of medical experts and yesterday i heard the Australian Chief Medical Officer state that the wearing of masks in Australia is unnecessary.
He even stated that he and his staff are eating out at Chinese restaurants by choice.
But we prefer to panic and think that this is it, the end of the world as we know it
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 07:40 AM   #64
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
I recall a previous thread re Ebola virus and claims that it was going to kill millions and that it was unstoppable.
Ebola is still active in Africa killing ppl.

If COVID19 is so harmless then why has China gone to such extraordinary lengths to try and contain in?

The latest medical journals coming out of all places China, where their experience has an infection rate near enough 20% for patients in the severe to critical category.

The same Chinese medical team are anticipating the virus to rebound through their country.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 08:13 AM   #65
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Ebola is still active in Africa killing ppl.

If COVID19 is so harmless then why has China gone to such extraordinary lengths to try and contain in?

The latest medical journals coming out of all places China, where their experience has an infection rate near enough 20% for patients in the severe to critical category.

The same Chinese medical team are anticipating the virus to rebound through their country.
People can die from it, however many people with it recover.

Who said it's harmless?

Re Ebola i can recall people on here back when it was in the news suggesting it was unstoppable and would spread around the world. The fact is it's contained
Old 21-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #66
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Not sure what industry you're in or the reason for posting about P2 mask availability.
I go with the advice of medical experts and yesterday i heard the Australian Chief Medical Officer state that the wearing of masks in Australia is unnecessary.
He even stated that he and his staff are eating out at Chinese restaurants by choice.
But we prefer to panic and think that this is it, the end of the world as we know it
My comments were to provide real world examples of where the Coronavirus has made impact in Australia. In this case, not from a medical perspective, but from a supply chain perspective. Even if Australia is not impacted directly by Coronavirus, we will be impacted indirectly by it.

I'm not suggesting that we need to be alarmist because we are all going to be directly exposed to the virus, just that it will impact us.

For the record, I work in the power generation industry. The lack of PPE may mean that maintenance activities will no longer be able to be performed. That in turn puts generation at risk. That in turn puts energy supply at risk. Which in turn puts every grid-connected electricity consumer at risk. This is not being alarmist. That is the potential consequence. However, I think the probability of that occurring is low.

But it is still a risk and one that needs to be managed carefully. Personally, I see this as being similar to the Y2K bug; it requires a national approach to be able to mitigate the risk it poses.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #67
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr XXXOOO it's a fair question. Ebola was very contagious but had a very high death rate so this limits its spread. Villages in equatorial Africa are a longer distance from internation air flight hubs and routes as well.
COVID-19 has a really high infection rate (R0 of 6.7 in one paper) but - crucially - it has a dormant period before symptoms where you still may be infectious, of 14 days (latest info out of China advises 24 days possible, one documented case had onset of symptoms 93 days after first exposure caring for a relative who was one of the first infected!)
So there's the possibility of it spreading far before anyone knows, as carriers may not show symptoms, even a fever. You can imagine what can happen in our connected world with this feature.
Indian researchers put out then pulled a paper suggesting RNA similar to HIV in it - bats the cause or something else?
Mortality - 2.2% officially, 1/3 of infected need high end medical care. The elderly and those with previous conditions more at risk.

Overnight it seems to be taking off in South Korea and Japan. Hong Kong and Singapore have cases near 100 now, including infections beyond points of contact in Wuhan - this classifies as Pandemic I believe, according to WHO rules. We are still flying in from Singapore, HK, Narita.
Old 21-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #68
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

If it continues.... Your Harvey Normans, JBHIs, Officeworks... Actually EVERY retailer’s shelves will be bare!
Food?... ok, Aussie produce, But where does the packaging come from, or the labels... or the ink the labels are printed with?
Think of the “great” Aussie companies that, in their infinite wisdom, decided it was cheaper to make their papertowels, undies, or lawnmowers offshore (China!)

Not just talkin Australia either! Will be the same worldwide... Such is our dependence on the mighty “MADE IN CHINA” moniker!

My opinion.... If this virus shuts down China for another 3 or 4 months, we are ALL in dire straits!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Hopefully it means bad news for China in the long run, and companies realise putting all your eggs in that filthy basket is not a good idea, and they start bringing manufacturing back to their home companies.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #70
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Already happening Boss, Trump gave US companies a warning in the last year or so to diversify their supply chains out. We are seeing repatriation as well as shifting of offshore suppliers for the US at least.

Now AUD at 0.66US, makes the loss of our auto production particularly bitter. It might not be cars any more, but if one likes producing things, find a niche and go for it locally. Hope this puts a rocket under local manufacturing.

Where does that leave Oz, reliant on Coal to China for big bucks? Their coal consumption is down already, about 33% based on todays article on ZH.
Old 21-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
If it continues.... Your Harvey Normans, JBHIs, Officeworks... Actually EVERY retailer’s shelves will be bare!
Food?... ok, Aussie produce, But where does the packaging come from, or the labels... or the ink the labels are printed with?
Think of the “great” Aussie companies that, in their infinite wisdom, decided it was cheaper to make their papertowels, undies, or lawnmowers offshore (China!)

Not just talkin Australia either! Will be the same worldwide... Such is our dependence on the mighty “MADE IN CHINA” moniker!

My opinion.... If this virus shuts down China for another 3 or 4 months, we are ALL in dire straits!!
One of our suppliers has indicated that they're up the creek without a paddle at the moment, they can't get anything made.

Bring on the chaos, a little pain is good for you.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 21-02-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 05:43 PM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

How good is it? We sell coal to China and educate their kids.

Coal demand down 30% and travel ban on the kids hurting universities

It's all good bro let's just keep swapping houses amongst ourselves and we can all transition from automotive manufacturing to manufacturing fancy coffees.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #73
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gourmet bean roasters.

It's become like the South Park Yelp episode.
Old 24-02-2020, 12:01 PM   #74
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Goes to show how dependent we are on China now. Good luck to all when our economy crumbles further.
The saddest part is the num-nuts in Canberra will not rectify the situation here.
Old 24-02-2020, 12:04 PM   #75
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
It's all good bro let's just keep swapping houses amongst ourselves and we can all transition from automotive manufacturing to manufacturing fancy coffees.
and bl**dy craft beers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #76
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Was down in Panama today (Paso Canoas) doing our usual 90 day “check out, check in” passport run...
What is usually a hive of “retail therapy” (it’s all duty free, so we treat it as our “big shop” each 3 months) was today a virtual ghost town...
So, so quiet and lots of missing stuff we normally stock up on.
So, I reckon this is gunna bite worldwide bigtime!
Btw... Most of the duty-free is “overseas owned”...
Check the Mustang...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
6 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #77
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

That GRILL ! haha......
Yer I have customers freaking out.
Globally there is already a world of pain, could be alot worse before we know it.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2020, 08:48 PM   #78
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

That Mustang looks like something 'Bane' would drive in Batman

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #79
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you finally got to buy that Galaxy Z Flip you always wanted, give yourself a pat on the back:

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-ga...rus-infection/

But don't worry in this case, they will reopen shortly afterward.
Old 24-02-2020, 09:20 PM   #80
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Charliewool - how do you say 'fully sik' in Costa Rican?
Old 25-02-2020, 01:20 AM   #81
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Charliewool - how do you say 'fully sik' in Costa Rican?
“Totalmente enfermo“
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #82
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Hyundai Australia hit by lengthy delays due to parts shortages caused by coronavirus factory stoppages 24 FEB 2020

EXCLUSIVE: Anyone looking to buy a new Hyundai in the coming months may experience lengthy delays in taking delivery of their car.
Australia’s third most popular car brand – behind Toyota and Mazda – is facing lengthy hold-ups in the arrival of new showroom stock due to parts shortages caused by factory shutdowns following to the coronavirus in China.

A confidential bulletin issued to Hyundai dealers has warned up to half of the models expected in the next few months could be delayed and has advised dealers to notify customers there may be a long wait.

The bulletin says in part: “Following the earlier (notice) regarding the Hyundai Plant Closure due to the effects of the coronavirus causing disruptions in the supply of China-sourced parts, Hyundai has reduced production by approximately more than 50 per cent of the Australian market in February. Please continue to monitor all incoming stock … and inform customers of their expected delivery of their cars.”

While Hyundai is a South Korean company, China makes parts for most global car brands.

Hyundai's sister brand Kia – which shares common parts – has not issued the same warning to dealers in Australia and says its vehicle production is "being carefully managed". "From Australia's point of view, the situation for us is not drastic at the moment," said a Kia Australia spokesman.

Most car parts suppliers in China have recommenced production after factory shutdowns of one to two weeks. Hyundai is the first major automotive company in Australia to issue a warning regarding lengthy delays on a large number of vehicles.

Retail sales of passenger cars in China fell by a staggering 92 per cent in the first 16 days of February, according to the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA), (4909 sales in the first half of the month versus 59,930 for the same period a year earlier).

Global Mercedes bosses late last week forecast widespread global disruption to parts supply out of China, but were yet to issue warnings about delays in delivering cars to its dealer network.

Japanese car makers Nissan and Honda have delayed the restart of some of their Chinese parts factories, but Toyota is slowly ramping up production at all four of its car assembly lines in the country.

Meanwhile, the supply of Hyundai cars in Australia will also be strangled due to delays caused by yet another interruption to shipments due to stink bugs.

The confidential Hyundai bulletin said: “We have also been advised that the vessel SFL Conductor is currently being quarantined in Melbourne. The Department of Agriculture has requested further tests be conducted (to determine if) further treatment is needed or full inspection of the vessel is required.”

Late last year, Hyundai and its sister company Kia had 10,000 cars delayed one to two weeks due to stink bugs after several ships were stopped from entering several ports around Australia – until the vessels and their cargo were treated to eradicate the pests.

Luxury car brand Mercedes, meanwhile, had a different ecological hurdle. In October 2019 the German car brand had to turn around close to 1000 new vehicles across its entire line-up due to an infestation of snails.

At some considerable expense the Mercedes vehicles had to be quarantine in Australia until special frames could be built so they could be exported in containers, rather than driven on and off a ship.
https://www.drive.com.au/news/hyunda...=homePageNews4

Nearly 80,000 people in 37 countries have been infected and at least 2,600 have died.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #83
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

If the coronavirus isn’t contained, a severe global recession is almost certain:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/if...ain-2020-02-24

Australia is probably in a better place than most other countries, but we are not immune. Aussie dollar dropping, ASX taking big hits, etc. we could be in for a nasty surprise very soon if this virus keeps spreading like it has been.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2020, 12:55 PM   #84
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Charliewool;6404204]Was down in Panama today (Paso Canoas) doing our usual 90 day “check out, check in” passport run...
What is usually a hive of “retail therapy” (it’s all duty free, so we treat it as our “big shop” each 3 months) was today a virtual ghost town...
So, so quiet and lots of missing stuff we normally stock up on.
So, I reckon this is gunna bite worldwide bigtime!
Btw... Most of the duty-free is “overseas owned”...
Check the Mustang...

Crikey, pickle me grandmother, Ted Bulpit would use a few tubes of Ipana on that grille.
Old 26-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #85
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
If the coronavirus isn’t contained, a severe global recession is almost certain:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/if...ain-2020-02-24

Australia is probably in a better place than most other countries, but we are not immune. Aussie dollar dropping, ASX taking big hits, etc. we could be in for a nasty surprise very soon if this virus keeps spreading like it has been.
I look forward to gaining back market share from China
Old 26-02-2020, 04:14 PM   #86
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I look forward to gaining back market share from China
Don't hold your breath.

Economic recovery from COVID-19 will take some time, establishing new manufacturing processes and finding new markets are easier said than done.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2020, 05:07 PM   #87
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Hmm.. reports now suggest that the 14 day isolation period was not long enough, and people are showing signs of the virus after 21-24 days!

All those people who were released after 14 days isolation, now in with the general population???
Old 26-02-2020, 05:30 PM   #88
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

The most recent (reported) numbers outside of China:

Iran - 96 infected, 16 dead.
South Korea - 1,146 infected, 11 dead.
Bahrain - 21 infected (jumped from 2 to 21 yesterday)
Italy - 323 infected, 11 dead.
Japan 861 infected, 4 dead.
USA - 53 infected.
Vietnam - 16 infected.
Brazil - 1 infected.
Thailand - 3 infected
Kuwait - 11 infected.
Spain - 2 infected.
Algeria - 1 infected.

Last edited by Tickford.; 26-02-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 26-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #89
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Oops, forgot to include the obvious. Cases in Australia. 23 infected.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...v-health-alert
Old 26-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #90
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Oops, forgot to include the obvious. Cases in Australia. 23 infected.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...v-health-alert
Heard on the radio that 40 countries have cases.

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post