Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Battery Neglect Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Bit of a Topic hijack I Know. But;
Is it an Old Wives tale that Sitting a battery on Concrete Will send It Flat..
I had an employee who would Always only sit batteries on either Wood or Rubber, He Swore black & blue that they'd go flat sitting on Concrete..

My personal Opinion is that It's an Urban Myth...
But Happy to be Proven Wrong,
No one can prove why but it does seem to cause issues, even I live by that wife's tale
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2020, 01:14 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Bit of a Topic hijack I Know. But;
Is it an Old Wives tale that Sitting a battery on Concrete Will send It Flat..
I had an employee who would Always only sit batteries on either Wood or Rubber, He Swore black & blue that they'd go flat sitting on Concrete..

My personal Opinion is that It's an Urban Myth...
But Happy to be Proven Wrong,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
No one can prove why but it does seem to cause issues, even I live by that wife's tale
It was not a wives tale, in a bygone era battery cases were constructed of porous materials where it was possible for battery to drain if battery sat on damp concrete surface.
Today's batteries are made of more durable plastics where this cannot happen.

Cheers
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 02:10 PM   #33
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I have a top notch Century battery, less than q year old, and its ****ed. Just trying to figure how to claim under warranty.
First thing on a cold morning, if the old donk don't catch on the first flick, I have to roll-start.

Now this is not necessarily a reflection on the brand. Just that buying a 2nd hand battery is pot luck, and not worth the aggravation.
Calcium battery?
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2020, 03:32 AM   #34
Schtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I have a top notch Century battery, less than q year old, and its ****ed. Just trying to figure how to claim under warranty.
First thing on a cold morning, if the old donk don't catch on the first flick, I have to roll-start.

Now this is not necessarily a reflection on the brand. Just that buying a 2nd hand battery is pot luck, and not worth the aggravation.

Take it to a Century dealer (any one will do) and have them run it on the Century tester and get the results printed out. If you can convince the battery to have 12V without it being a surface charge (as in off the charger for a bit, and settles into 12V or more and stays there) then you'll get the battery replaced. And if the dealer won't do it, find another one. Handing in a Century battery that fails the test but still has 'right' voltage and is within warranty, Century just swap them over without any fuss and it costs the dealer nothing but a little time that also earns them goodwill.

Go on, ask me how I know. ;)

However, if it's died because it's not getting charged adequately, then you might be in for some trouble. Comes under neglect and they may refuse the warranty claim. Not common, but can happen. I'll try and get it over the line if it's an honest claim, but I'll bounce it up the food chain if you try and pull a swifty. You may still get a new battery, but you might not too.

I'd hit up whichever Century dealer you have nearby and see what happens. If you can't find one who's willing to help you out, call Century direct. They're usually pretty good about this kind of thing.

Stu.
Schtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2020, 03:01 PM   #35
Electrolyte Burns

The argument about sitting a battery on concrete comes from the fact that the bottom of the battery will be a lot colder than the top of the battery. This inhibits the circulation of the Electrolyte within the battery.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post