Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-11-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
jakka351

Default Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Forscan Beta is inching closer to IDS level but not quite there yet. Even using a VCMII you still intermittently get 'this adaptor has can bus problems'. They had released a beta that could update firmwares, but has since been retracted due to people trying to flash things with china obdii dongles.

If you flash a chinese made car with a chinese obd clone will you have a bad time?

Also there are issues with reprogramming vin numbers as forscan only unlocks some modules when going into as built daaaada.

Some guides for anyone out there that might need:

ABS guide by Nigel, the CAN man:
https://www.tiperformance.com.au/kno...bo-conversion/

ICC modules by yours truly:
https://github.com/jakka351/FG-Falco...s-with-Forscan
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 09:06 PM   #2
rollex
PCMTEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakka351 View Post
Also there are issues with reprogramming vin numbers as forscan only unlocks some modules when going into as built daaaada.
It is a suprise anything works at all ever with how uncomprehendingly complex the systems have become recently.

I have no idea how they manage the systems internally to keep everything running on the assembly line without frantic end of line re-flashing of modules to fix random issues.
rollex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2021, 10:33 PM   #3
jakka351

Talking Re: FORD technical service bulletin : ICC touch screen display

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollex View Post
It is a suprise anything works at all ever with how uncomprehendingly complex the systems have become recently.

I have no idea how they manage the systems internally to keep everything running on the assembly line without frantic end of line re-flashing of modules to fix random issues.
Thats why you have a team of dealerships to do that, just a little bit later on in the process.

What does a 2021 model year car have, 100 different modules or close to it. And these are probably all running some ridiculously complicated CAN networks, internet connected and borderline autonomous. May take a while to get used to that instead of the nice simple ms/hs can set up from ten years ago that the DIYer can play with at home.

Have to wait ten years until we see what theyre up to now.
jakka351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #4
stephenf7072
Starter Motor

Hi Jason, your efforts and this thread is so spectacular I made an account mostly just to say so. I have enough technical experience with PCBs and firmware to REALLY appreciate the time you've put in and your achievements. However the attention to detail in posting your findings is the most excellent.

I just got a 2013 TS (mid range) Territory which came with a blank screen, which is how I got here. I read the entire thread twice, and successfully started talking to my blank screen via COM port using your instructions.

However it seems like my corruptions might be a bit more terminal. I don't have a /packages directory. From the command line, I can explore the files, including those on the USB stick. But everything seems to be read-only (even when I use your trick of <mount -uw /dev/hd0> < mount -uw /fs/usb0>). I can unmount the USB, but haven't been able to remount, even as read only. It seems to automatically mount/unmount when the stick is inserted/removed though.

I tried to copy one of your /package directories to the ICC memory but since it's all read-only that failed. A manual mkdir also fails. The scary scripts to re-core it appear to be absent (no files with "core" in the name).

A complete(?) listing of files is attached, so is the complete lot of serial output during my boot - 46k lines of error messages (most removed because the attachment was too big), takes a couple of minutes. I can't actually get the files onto the USB stick because I can't get write access.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I've spent too much time on this and have too many other projects at the moment so will probably just bite the bullet and get an ALS or wrecker one. But if you're interested in interrogating mine, I'll send it to you (I'm in Melbourne).

Cheers,
Stephen

PS: I'd be reasonably confident in replacing the BGA flash chip, if you reckon you can program it (and want to go down that rabbit hole). It's a challenge, but with a temperature-controlled hot air soldering station, and lead-tinned pads/chip, it's doable.
Attached Files
File Type: txt All Files List Original.txt (3.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: txt Blank Screen Startup Dump (reduced).txt (7.3 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by stephenf7072; 07-11-2021 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Forgot attachment
stephenf7072 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: