Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-06-2024, 09:43 AM   #2911
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

I ended up buying a 46" Husky zero turn with a 21.5hp Kwaka.
I'll give it a run later.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2024, 08:01 PM   #2912
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
I ended up buying a 46" Husky zero turn with a 21.5hp Kwaka.
I'll give it a run later.
Nice one!

I like that engine too, we had one on a Toro and it had some grunt to it.

You'll have to get one of these for it.........................(kidding of course)

https://tarylfixesall.bigcartel.com/...sucki-stickers

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 08:30 AM   #2913
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gave it a run for an hour or so yesterday more to get the feel of it than actual mowing the grass. It's gotta be nearly 20 years since I used one. You forget how finicky they are to use at first but I guess it's just a case of muscle memory. I nearly got it stuck in a wire fence so I will mow a little further out until I'm a bit smoother.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 07:07 PM   #2914
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Gave it a run for an hour or so yesterday more to get the feel of it than actual mowing the grass. It's gotta be nearly 20 years since I used one. You forget how finicky they are to use at first but I guess it's just a case of muscle memory. I nearly got it stuck in a wire fence so I will mow a little further out until I'm a bit smoother.
Ha, the first time I used a zero turn (circa age 17 or so), I backed it down a dry creek bed. You know when you are falling, your instinct is to grab and pull yourself up, well that's reverse on a zero turn. I actually caught it quick enough, slammed on the handbrake before sheepishly getting the boss to drive it out. Not one of my best moments.

But..................I haven't landed it in the lake like one of the boss's did last year.......................I found that rather amusing................

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 08:43 PM   #2915
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

After waiting and missing out on stock, I put a deposit down and ordered the mower I was after, Masport Contractor AL S19! Picked her up today, ready for next season.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-06-2024, 09:54 PM   #2916
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
After waiting and missing out on stock, I put a deposit down and ordered the mower I was after, Masport Contractor AL S19! Picked her up today, ready for next season.

Nice!

Masport's best chassis (19-inch aluminum) and Briggs and Stratton's best engine (190cc 850-Series).

Depending on what you are coming from, you may find the engine lacking a little "pep". From the factory, these engines are set to a relatively low 2800 rpm, which is noticeably slower than engines pre-2000.

In most cases, you will easily get through most grass, the 190cc "Big Block" has good torque out of the box and can slug through thicker stuff without stalling. For me, I found the engine was bogging down a bit, which also slows the self-propel on my unit. Upping the revs within a safe margin gives the engine more momentum when hitting thicker grass, keeps the groundspeed up, and overall makes the engine unstoppable. I find I end up running at 3/4 throttle in most situations, but I have the headroom to go up when needed.

I'm not talking about a 7000 rpm screamer, about 3500 - 3600 is a safe sweet spot.

Previous Briggs and Stratton engines were relatively easy to adjust for rpm. However, Briggs have hidden the governor spring tabs under and behind the air filter housing.

Lifted from the below thread -
https://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11500195

Quote:
Briggs & Stratton 190cc OHV 850-Series Engines

Late 850 models – This design mimics the domestic OHV engines, with the spring tab hidden behind the air filter housing. Move the lever towards the cylinder head to increase, move towards the rear of the engine to decrease.

Ideally, you would run the engine for a few hours before doing this modification, say the end of spring or after the first oil change (5 hours, stick with the SAE30 mineral oil till about 10 hours though, you can then swap to synthetic, Penrite 10w-30 Semi-Syn is my preference, qty 600ml). And it would best be done with a digital tacho, otherwise, be careful.

https://www.chainsawspares.com.au/di...CABEgKzq_D_BwE
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23317315...iABEgKuXfD_BwE
https://www.repco.com.au/oils-fluids...SABEgK9BPD_BwE

Although on a Victa, the engine is the same and should sound like this, notice how it just digs in and powers through when under load. My favorite mower engine after the Victa 2-stroke.

Mustang GT

Old 13-06-2024, 10:26 PM   #2917
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Thank you for the advice! I like this mower already, just from moving into the shed. Looking forward to using it soonish. I'm sure spring and summer will give me good reasons to do so!

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: