Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-06-2006, 04:40 PM   #31
MRJUCY
Fordless

It's funny the Astra has pretty much been universally canned as terrible by the European & English motoring press but ours don't seem to mind it too much.
I'd be interested to know how the quality really compares between the XR5 & GTi as it is only the Ford which is actually built in Germany despite the Dubster having the German reputation.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 07:25 PM   #32
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by guym
marcosambrose your comment,

The term 'Sportscar' is loosely thrown around, i can name a few: MX-5, 911, Boxster, Audi TT.

The first couple I would have to agree with, but the Audi TT, don't think so, The VW Golf, Golf GTI, Beetle, Audi A3, Audi TT are based on VW Golf as its base floor plan. The rest is changes to the base vehicle. VW actually said once that the beetle would never have been built if it wasn't based on the Golf and then just change the panels. I am not suggesting that the Audi TT is just a golf with different panels, there is a lot of other changes as well, but is not a sports car built from the ground up.
Ive never driven a TT, but id imagine that it would be a stellar drive compared to a Golf.

Its in the 'sportscar' catergory with the RX8 and so on and it is a 2 door coupe with no parts sharing with a sedan (e.g. monaro -> commodore). So thats why i included it.

Also to follow up on the post by MRJUCY saying the Astra has got recieved acclaim here and not so much in europe. Its because Australian motor journalists are crap, half of them cant drive a car and think because its 0-100 time is 7 seconds and it has climate control its a great car.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #33
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

marcosambrose,

The RX-8 I believe is a sports car. The Audi TT is more a luxury cruiser... never in the same league for being a track tearing sports car. That and the fact it is based on the Golf/A3 platform and was never really given a great engine except for the R32's engine... and even then it was a let down and the engine didn't shine as much as it did in the R32.

Sports Cars that spring to mind; MX-5, RX-8, S2000, Caymen, Boxster, Integra (mild.. more a hot hatch though), NSX, 911, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Brera (Omg it looks hot!), Alfa GT, Lotus Elise (Exige)...

Though, I saying that there are a heap of cars that share platforms/engines. It is all in the calibration and integration of suspension, engine, steering and chassis that turn the car into the performance car. For example the M division making BMWs into performance machines, RenaultSport creating the Hot Hatches of the base model Renaults, ST turning your Ford Hatches into hotter cars, AMG creating more powerful cars then Mercedes...

So yea, I think interpretation of Sports Car is the key here; To me I believe it to be a car that is performance oriented. This therefore includes Hot Hatches as well as your top end performers... Everything from a RSC and XR5T to an Exige and M3.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #34
guym

Maybe we should stlit this into three categories. Standard Factory worked sports (which I don't call sports but thats a personnal opinion eg Ford XR6, XR6T XR8 HSV etc), then professional factory worked sports or seperae company (eg AMG, BMW M Division would probably include the XR5T/ST and the old RS because its a completely different engine and setup comparied to the standard car which the XR6 etc aren't they are just retuned), and then the real sports cars. Thes are cars that are just built as a sports car, MX-5, RX-8, S2000, Caymen, Boxster, NSX, 911, Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa GT, Lotus Elise etc.

Actually this will just create more discussion of which car fits into which category.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2006, 09:25 PM   #35
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Guym - this will just start more of a discussion. Remember, AMG also bolt on enhancements to the engine (supercharger) and something just change the bore/stroke etc of engines to make them bigger. Isn't that what EVERY company does? They start with one engine, and modify it.

But I agree with some things you said. The Commo SS and Falcon XR8 are not sports cars in my opinion.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 27-06-2006, 10:13 AM   #36
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
XR6 etc aren't they are just retuned
I think you'll find the engine in the XR6 is exactly the same as the engine in the XTmodel.!...no retuning at all.(both quoted as 190kW and 383Nm) People just assume that the XR6 has more mumbo under the bonnet
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:33 PM   #37
guym

melbzetec, yes I must admit I assumed that atleast the motor was retuned for greater output. Well I just made an *** out of me.

Teki04 maybe AMG just have a better reputation of doing the mods than a lot of companies.
guym is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:38 PM   #38
marcosambrose

Quote:
melbzetec, yes I must admit I assumed that atleast the motor was retuned for greater output. Well I just made an *** out of me.

Teki04 maybe AMG just have a better reputation of doing the mods than a lot of companies.
In my opinion, M Division and AMG are just the same as FPV & HSV. Im not indication they are as good as each other but they are both Factory enhanced vehicles of each marques father brand.

Merc -> AMG & BMW -> M Division.

Of course AMG & M do a much better job than FPV and HSV but thats another argument, and yes an XR8 is hardly a sportscar, same goes with XR6 and SS and SV6 and any FPV and HSV.

Sportscars are low slung, couple-like works of art that are made to be driven along coastal roads or mountain ranges, you know the stuff you see in bond movies.
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #39
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A guy at work wanted and nearly decided on the GTI because all his 'mates' said so and all the positive press it gets.

Then the 9 month wait so he looked around at about 4 other toys, test drove em all and decided his dream car was................ Megane Sport cup.....

He said it out handles and out performs everything else he tested including WRX etc etc etc.

He ended up with a Forester turbo which he claims is a sensible compromise. In confidence he told me he hates to compromise and really wanted the Megane but his 'mates' said the resale sux.

This was just b4 the XR5 was announced but with supply so impossible he wouldn't have gone there either.

The week b4 last I picked up my little black Zetec which he took for a spin and came back even more convinced the Subaru is a mistake for him.

Yes my fussy pants mate admitted the Focus was an excellent package and punched above its weight.

To me the Focus hit the exact spot I was looking for, nimble, economical, zippy and kinda cute.

Oh and BTW the Zetec can keep a WRX in sight providing the corners are tight and the hills not too long...
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #40
STCOOL
Starter Motor

Yes I agree Mr More Revs. The poor Renault name unfortunately reminds me of the old 70's model with its many problems, & it had a very bad reputation. The New Renault however is a good car, pity though that many Aussies hate European slylish rounded cars. The backend of the Renault is a bit scary though. I can't even get my family or freinds to like the Focus ST I have. They just think its a Focus & not very sporty & like the Mazda 3 & 6 better. This could be why many here on the forum have taken to the new Focus having the boxy not very curvy look Aussies like, just like the popular Astra, Vectra, Commodores & Falcons. Could also be why Ford decided the 4 door was the only way to go & not go the 2 door coupe. I love Coupes & its just a personal thing, but we talk about cars either being sporty or not. The difference is maybe a sports sedan compared to a sports coupe. I still see many references to the Monaro & 4 door Commodore being the same body. This is not correct & the rear panels & slopey roof line, are very different giving the Monaro I suppose a sporty low Coupe look.
How far do you think they will go with Hot Hatches. Its now got to a stage that they are slowly going from 4 to 5 to 6 cylinders with & without Turbos. Where will it all end a 6 cylinder turbo in a small car??? Maybe one day with the fuel problems we may all end up in a few years with a 4 cylinder again.
STCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #41
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree things are getting out of hand in the small car segment.

But then again I would swap the Focus for one of these

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=47&i=8080

More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 07:04 PM   #42
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Latest Wheels has also got a quick write up on the SRi - the only thing they have negative comments about is the steering feel. Otherwise it's also a very positive review.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #43
aston

I test drove a XR5T on Saturday morning from City Ford in Sydney. What a great machine. Bags of Torque....Really quiet too but has a lovely growl when you hit the loud pedal. Very comfortable too. A nice mix of comfort and performance. City Ford quoted 42K onroad. I questioned the salesperson about 6K onroad costs. They mentioned that it is a 'special' dealer delivery package. I am a bit sceptical. The wait would be until Jan 07 for delivery too! Apparently some people are willing to pay premium to get there hands on them from some dealers as well.
aston is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 10:35 AM   #44
Seano
classicford.mine.nu

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston
I test drove a XR5T on Saturday morning from City Ford in Sydney. What a great machine. Bags of Torque....Really quiet too but has a lovely growl when you hit the loud pedal. Very comfortable too. A nice mix of comfort and performance. City Ford quoted 42K onroad. I questioned the salesperson about 6K onroad costs. They mentioned that it is a 'special' dealer delivery package. I am a bit sceptical. The wait would be until Jan 07 for delivery too! Apparently some people are willing to pay premium to get there hands on them from some dealers as well.
What's so "special" about their dealer delivery package? Just the price?
Seano is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #45
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aston
Judging from my buying experience at City Ford (Rockdale though) I'd assume the 'special' dealer delivery is a fee they have to cover the costs then need in TRYING to get the pre-delivery check right, something which other dealers do!

Sorry about my rant....

As for the XR5T, if you check on the XR5T forums, there is a black one in Melbourne (Bega to be exact) and there could still be some on car sales sites, such as www.carsales.com.au www.drive.com.au etc etc If your willing to fly to get the car, I don't think you'd have much of a problem getting it sooner then Jan 07

Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #46
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

lol... last time i checked Teki... Bega was in your neck of the woods ya wacko New South Squelshman! BLAM! 8)
Old 03-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #47
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hahahahaha - goes to show how far out I go from Sydney!

Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 PM   #48
nat_daly
Nat D

i'm looking forward to the 185kw mazda 3 MPS to come out.. will be a very quick car..
old ride#1: ED XR6 5 speed-gone to new home:(
old ride#2:dumped EL fairmont 5l
new ride: Winter white AU2 XR8-manual
nat_daly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2006, 02:30 PM   #49
Miyagi
fordxr5turbo.com

The Mazda 3 MPS is out... style wise it doesn't work for me but from the few reviews around the traps it's a nice piece of machinery.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:36 PM   #50
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_daly
i'm looking forward to the 185kw mazda 3 MPS to come out.. will be a very quick car..
*190kw - 380nm, ouch
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post