Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #1
Mk II

Default One big bear

I don't know what I would do if it ran at me, but it would be bloody scary..

The following (first two) pictures are of a guy who works for the
US Forest Service in Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his 7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shotit several times in the head.

The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder,14' to the top of his head. It's the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the
Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild). Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife
Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture.The US Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated,found the hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along
with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's dead body) it only wounded the bear and probably angered it.

The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker. Think about this - If you are an average size man; You would be level with the bear's belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked
on all fours! To give additional perspective,consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two
story house and look in the bedroom windows.

Mk II is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

My dad sent me an email with the poor person's remains that that big sod was chewing on.
Old 16-07-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Mk II

I decided not to post that picture as i dont think it was quite suitable to post on a public forum, it was quite sickening..

Mk II
Old 16-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #4
WHIPLASH
METALLICA and FORD FREAK

Default dam straight

yeah thanx for that pic josh, was really ...... tasty after a KFC meal :nutsycuck . Well one things for sure i would not want to come across it in the woods alone. big bastard it is.

Little fox

Rolling back in my au forte
*18" xhp jetz
*alpine 4000watt audio
*tickford t3 bodykit

Still got a V8 but wanting to offload the shell if anyone is interested PM me.

(1993 EB body, some minor marks, full interior (electrics need attention) NO MOTOR, gearbox needs 5th. Make offer.

Also in the shed is a 3.9ltr straight six (1990 EA). headers, crow cam, 5spd manual included. may need minor rebuild. Again make offer

WHIPLASH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 09:51 PM   #5
shane3
FPV GT 0915

The bear had killed 2 or 3 people and was killed as it chewed on his last victim, but yes one VERY big bear
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

I was emailed those pics about 1-2 years back. So i don't think it's recent. I think i know the other pic your on about. I got that email earlier again. Not too sure of the story. Sorry

Poor Big old bear. Would be good if there was some place to put it instead of killing it.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I got the email with the pics a couple of years ago, and it wasn't pretty.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

Quote:
As this account demonstrates, some of the details in the text that now accompanies these photographs is incorrect:

* Ted Winnen, who shot the bear, was an airman with the U.S. Air Force, not a Forest Service employee.

* The bear was large, but not a "world record 12 feet 6 inches high at the shoulder" and weighing "over one thousand six hundred pounds." The ursine bagged by Mr. Winnen measured 10 feet, 6 inches from nose to tail and its weight was estimated at between 1,000 to 1,200 pounds — an extraordinarily large bear for the Prince William Sound area (about double the average size), but not a world record.

* The bear was coming towards Winnen and his hunting partner from about 10 yards away, but nobody knows for sure whether it was "charging them." According to the two hunters, the bear may not even have been aware of their presence.

* Winnen bagged the bear with a .338-caliber Winchester Magnum, not a "7mm Mag Semi-auto."
Old 16-07-2006, 10:02 PM   #9
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Oh, and as for the remains:
Quote:
In 2003 another photograph began to be circulated in conjunction with the pictures shown above, purportedly showing a human victim who was the bear's "last meal":

Click photo to enlarge

Although this is presumably a genuine photograph of human remains gnawed by one or more animals, it has nothing to do with the bear pictured above. This photograph comes from a completely different source and was only tacked on as an addendum to the bear story after both had been circulating independently for over a year. The bear shot by Ted Winnen was not known to have killed any humans.
Old 16-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #10
Mk II

sorry guys, i thought it to be correct, and didnt realise just how old it was. It is still a friggen huge bear...

Mk II
Old 16-07-2006, 10:06 PM   #11
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's damn big. One of my friends lives in **** creek Canada. He tells me that every few years they have to shoot a bear from the lounge window of the farm house. They come in to get the horses and dogs. His mother carries a 44 mag.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Bah, that spoils what was a good story. Thanks for the pics of the dead body by the way. ;)
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

the photo of the guy with the chewed leg is VERY old.
That poor fella was attacked by 2 big dogs.

I cant get over how big the bears damn paw is!!
makes you wonder whats really out there!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn that's a big bastard. Bet they had to change their pants afterwards!
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post