Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
simon722
Starter Motor

Default Steering problem for lx 05 focus

Hi

im new here, just wondering if anyone has had a problem with their steering wheel stiffening up. The power steering is fine i had it checked at the dealership and they found no problems. When i drive the car i find that the wheel is hard to turn

anyone have any idea on what it could be?

thanks!

simon722 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:30 AM   #2
Uni

go to the gym :

i kid, i kid. but in all seriousness, how long have you had the car? have u fitted big heavy *** chrome wheels? oh and has anything been done to the suspension?

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
BlackLS

This problem has happened a lot in the UK.

Assuming the car has no mods, when does this problem happen? (ie as the speed rises the steering gets majorly heavy (its designed to get a little bit more heavy), steering angle, under accel/brake etc.)

Also does is there any bad noises. like a whirring noise that sounds like a dying cat stuck in a supercharger.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
simon722
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
This problem has happened a lot in the UK.

Assuming the car has no mods, when does this problem happen? (ie as the speed rises the steering gets majorly heavy (its designed to get a little bit more heavy), steering angle, under accel/brake etc.)

Also does is there any bad noises. like a whirring noise that sounds like a dying cat stuck in a supercharger.
the car is 1 yr old to the day

no modifications whatsoever have been made just a tyre change. The heaviness occurs when im slowed down and when im accelerating and when i try turning left or wright slightly, not only when doing big turns.

- weird thing is it happened out of no where and when your driving a car for a year, u know when something goes wrong.
Old 25-08-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

possibly the powersteering has gone, or is faulty???

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
simon722
Starter Motor

read my 1st post
Old 25-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
BlackLS

Most likely the motor for the power steering has burnt out/is burning out...

Go back to the dealer, get a tech to drive your car with you sitting next to them.

If they say its normal, head over to the sales department and test drive a demo focus, and see if its the same... Could I ask where your located?
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon722
read my 1st post
kk understood but dealerships are known to sometimes cut corners, did they actually take the car for a drive or did they just look at the componets and make observations.... i belive some one else on the Fez forums had the same problem except when reaching high speeds the sterring wheel shook. ford only tested the car doing 60 and never went anyware near 100 there fore the testing was cpmpletely wrong... you should get ford dealership to actually test drive the car with you in it... and simulate what turns you do by making them do the same sort of turns.....

Old 25-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #9
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:

Go back to the dealer, get a tech to drive your car with you sitting next to them.

If they say its normal, head over to the sales department and test drive a demo focus, and see if its the same... Could I ask where your located?
you must of just posted that as i was typing it lol, cause it wasnt there when i started replying lol....

Old 25-08-2006, 06:10 PM   #10
simon722
Starter Motor

Quote:

located in sydney , bought the car from peter warren

hmm the fact that i feel heat inside the car, near the steering wheel, has that got anything to do with it you rekon? Thought it was just normal air coming in the through the gaps.

ye they told me that if i wanted i could sit in the car with a mechanic, they said 2 mechanics drove it and couldnt see a problem.
some ppl ive spoken to have suggested maybe its the lubrication, but i got no idea.

do u think its worth taking it to the nrma for an inspection report?
Old 26-08-2006, 12:07 AM   #11
Uni

definately not. take it to an independant mechanic you know, or grab a reliable knowledgeable name off here, and go to them.

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post