Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
WASP
Whipple Induced

Default Anyone changed a fuel pump on their LS Focus?

My wife’s LS Zetec is gone in today to have it's fuel pump replaced. For a while now the car has had intermittent starting issues which don't seem to result in any error codes for the dealers. Replacing the fuel pump appears to be the 'next thing' to consider at this stage.

Has anyone else had this problem with their LS Focus?

Thanks in advance
Colville

Old 30-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #2
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not yet but mine is making a rasping noise from 1st turn of the key and has has trouble starting twice.

Did you notice any wierd noise?
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by More revs
Not yet but mine is making a rasping noise from 1st turn of the key and has has trouble starting twice.

Did you notice any wierd noise?
Car has alway had a rather mechanical type of rasping noise to it when starting so I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
Old 30-08-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
photn
AFF Post NAZI

may have been a faulty fuel pump from the start.....could just be a bad manufacture on the car......which is reallly bad cause no car should be badly manufactured....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
BlackLS

Its a new Focus design problem with the fuel tank and pump placement. When less than half full of fuel, parked on slightly uphill and steeper, the pump doesn't reach any fuel. As the pump uses the petrol to cool and to lubricate, if it regularly becomes dry it will start to fail more and more.

It will supply enough to keep it running when driving up a hill, although you might find it pinging and making lifter noises around 1500rpm (when its normally fine). If you find yourself stuck, turning the ignition from off to on and back about 10 times will prime enough fuel vapour to get the car started.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Yes mate

Mine has been changed twice, including the fuel lines, and the sender in the tank.

The fuel line actually had a kink that caused loss of power, poor idle etc
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 04:44 PM   #7
WASP
Whipple Induced

Thanks guys for your input. Damn lucky it drives nicely is all I can say..lol
Looks like the fuel line & filter maybe my next target if this doesn't work.
Old 30-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
Marshy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Its a new Focus design problem with the fuel tank and pump placement. When less than half full of fuel, parked on slightly uphill and steeper, the pump doesn't reach any fuel. As the pump uses the petrol to cool and to lubricate, if it regularly becomes dry it will start to fail more and more.
Ok this bothers me a bit.

So you are saying parking the car I shouldnt be pointing it uphill? I park the XR5 in an uphill stance everyday at home.
Might have to start reversing up the driveway, thats gotta be annoying.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
WASP
Whipple Induced

ok Pump has been changed, lines checked and filter with all costs including loan car met by both Ford and the dealer. Can't ask much more than that. We'll see how she goes from here fingers crossed.

The car is rarely parked on anything but a flat surface so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 30-08-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The half full of fuel thing isnt strictly accurate. I've had issues when I've just tanked up. In fact, it happened today and I had to crank it for abit longer to start the car.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 02:04 AM   #11
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
The half full of fuel thing isnt strictly accurate. I've had issues when I've just tanked up. In fact, it happened today and I had to crank it for abit longer to start the car.
True, just didn't have time to explain that before (was about to head out to WSID.)

Many a time, even on a little incline, you'll have to start it like a carbie, holding the accel half way down.

I don't even notice it anymore :S
Old 31-08-2006, 09:31 AM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

ive never had a problem with the fezz. does the fez do something like this, i mean is this a trait in many euroford cars.???? or is cause there made in South Africa?????? my car always starts first go in the morning. i park it flat on the carport....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
BlackLS

Nope, only the LS Focus as far as I'm aware. Its a petrol tank design problem. Heaps of euro built Focus have this problem as well.
Old 31-08-2006, 03:47 PM   #14
Marshy79

Yeah if its a New Model Focus issue.... im sure the XR5's will be the same as well.

Should be the same fuel tanks.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM   #15
karl74

I have the same problem with my LS Zetec not starting occasionally. I have had the fuel pump replaced and sender guage. This has not resolved the issue. Doesn't matter whether it is on an incline or not.
karl74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post