Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-03-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Default I had a rather interesting saturday...

I will try not to bore you, but I thought that those who enjoy cricket (and maybe one or two of you who actually know me) might like to hear my story.

Saturday the 19th of March is a date that I will remember forever. I went to my God-daughter's third birthday party in the morning and had plenty of sugar and birthday cake. Great fun. I did however have to leave early because I had to play cricket that afternoon. It was the third and final day of our Grand Final, and after we made 68 & 109 the previous weekend, with the opposition making 62 and 0/12...it is fair to say the match was in an interesting position.

They needed 116 runs total in their final innings, we needed 10 wickets.

They were 0/40 at one stage, and were eventually 5/90. Obviously looking as though they were in a strong position. Needing only 25 runs, with 5 wickets in hand, with plenty of overs to go. Fair to assume they could simply cruise from there.

Then my captain told me he was making a bowling change and I would be bowling the next over. I am a medium pace bowler who gets a reasonable amount of outswing...for those who don't know.

Anyway, I ran in to bowl and what do you know, because of my slow-ish pace the batsman tried to attack me...except he proceeded to get an edge and out flew his off-stump. Beauty...I got a wicket first ball in a Grand Final. That was a nice feeling. Next ball I proceeded to knock the batsman's middle stump out of the ground. Beauty...on a roll and on a hat-trick in a Grand Final. I unfortunately missed out on my hat-trick, but made up for it by getting my third wicket in four balls next ball when the batsman hit the ball in the air straight to point.

So after being 5/90....they were then 8/90. Eek. We were starting to feel a bit happier as a team. We ended up getting them out for 95, and I played in a premiership in my first year at Riverside Cricket Club in Melbourne. I also ended up with figures of 4.1 overs, 3 Maidens, 4 Wickets for 3 Runs.

After celebrating for a while I went to my Sister's house for a family get-together to celebrate my Brother's 26th birthday...needless to say I didn't stay too long so that I could get back to the cricket club and drink.

To top it all off though, I got the biggest surprise of my life when I won the club raffle that night and won $1000.

I am not going to forget this weekend any time soon.

Cheers,
Shawn

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
FordFan86
meow

DAMN!!! good job man, those are some great stats, sound like you had a heap of fun... and then topping it off with $1000! there is some luck for ya
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Well done (7th) Cuz, your should be rightly proud of yourself.
Another sportsman from Walla. Not the first, not the last, but you should feel proud to uphold the tradition of generations. Great to hear you did well and won, sounds like you should have been close to man of the match too! Big thumbs up.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Sounds like a good one mate!
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:28 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

A grand??? What a nice little prize!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Beautiful!! Sounds like a great day.

Sometimes when your mojo is working, all the planets line up and all is well in the cosmos the big man points his finger and you have days like that!! Life is sweet.

Cheers......

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #7
XRated
Shoot.

What a weekend! Some times things just pan out perfectly... If only it happened more often!

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #8
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Well done Shawn!

:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 11:44 PM   #9
rodderz

Well done shawn..... all chrissy's have come at once! Winning a grand final in anything is definately a great feeling

Reminds me when I was about 6 or 7 I had broken my ankle (not the same way as Jeff...lol) the week before easter. Last day of school term there was an easter bonnet parade where we made the hat things then there was the raffle afterwards. Not only did I take out the gong in the bonnet parade but won 1st and 2nd prize in the raffle! Feasted on chocolate for weeks
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2005, 11:46 PM   #10
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a bloody great way to top off an excellent weekend, so did you get man of the match as well, they are very good figures expecially at a crucial point of the game.
Old 21-03-2005, 12:40 AM   #11
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Well done Shawn,im really happy for you that your team won the premiership and the first prize in the clubs raffle.Your shout lol
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 12:44 AM   #12
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Congratulations, a fantastic combination of skill and luck, would certainly be hard to improve on I think!
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 12:53 AM   #13
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk

To top it all off though, I got the biggest surprise of my life when I won the club raffle that night and won $1000.

I am not going to forget this weekend any time soon.

Cheers,
Shawn
Neither will your mates...... Your SHOUT :sm_headba
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 02:12 AM   #14
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

yeh bloody good effort 3 wickets in four balls is awesome and especially at that stage of the game. and for it to be a grand final too!! would have felt awesome. that cash prize aint too bad either!
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #15
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I am still dumbfounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davocol
...so did you get man of the match as well...
I don't know who got man of the match to be honest...I didn't hear them announce it.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #16
-AL-
Knuckle Head

Good on ya mate, great memories to take thru life thats for sure. Thanks for sharing
-AL- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post