Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #271
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Default Re: Australia Trip

sounds like your having a ball. you have proberly already seen more of australia then 50% of australians.

the blue mountains are a great spot to spend a few days.

shame you werent here in central queensland today, i had about 20 kangaroos lazing and eating around my house all day, some of them even made themselves at home and had a sleep on my veranda .
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #272
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

I haven't been able to make it to a zoo yet. Mount Panorama will have to suffice, I suppose.

I saw my first old Chrysler Charger yesterday. It was bright orange! I also talked to a couple with a '66 Mustang at a McDonald's near Penrith. It had been converted to RHD. I heard the engine before I saw the car!

McDonald's was an interesting experience for me. I had the Serious Lamb Burger. They don't offer that in the States. We don't put egg or beetroot on burgers, either. (And we simply call beetroot "beets.")
Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #273
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Vic
I haven't been able to make it to a zoo yet. Mount Panorama will have to suffice, I suppose.

I saw my first old Chrysler Charger yesterday. It was bright orange! I also talked to a couple with a '66 Mustang at a McDonald's near Penrith. It had been converted to RHD. I heard the engine before I saw the car!

McDonald's was an interesting experience for me. I had the Serious Lamb Burger. They don't offer that in the States. We don't put egg or beetroot on burgers, either. (And we simply call beetroot "beets.")
If your lucky, you may see a Aussie Bogan up on "The Hill Menagerie" at Mt Panorama
If your still heading out to Dubbo, you may want to stop at Taronga Western Plains Zoo, Its pretty good as far as zoo's go, If you have time

Penrith Maccas are pretty good for seeing some of Australian car culture.
But I'm told going to Krispy Kreme's at Liverpool on a Friday night is even better.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #274
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
If your lucky, you may see a Aussie Bogan up on "The Hill Menagerie" at Mt Panorama
I will resemble that remark on Thursday -
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #275
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

No Dubbo for me. I spent the day at Scenic World (http://www.scenicworld.com.au). So much walking, but such beautiful scenery!

And I was within a meter of a brown snake. Got two pictures of it. It was right beside the trail.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #276
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
No Dubbo for me. I spent the day at Scenic World (http://www.scenicworld.com.au). So much walking, but such beautiful scenery!

And I was within a meter of a brown snake. Got two pictures of it. It was right beside the trail.
1 metre away is better than having one lunge at your leg while on a ride-on mower!
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #277
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

There's lots of old Mustangs here. Although I begin to see more and more in LHD, as laws have changed and don't need to be converted.

I haven't tried a Serious Lamb burger yet. It's one of the special limited time meals McDonald's like to offer occasionally. They'll probably run out before I get a chance to get one though.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #278
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yes, out & about early this year. It didnt chase you so it must of been cold

If you were still in penrith I would offer to let you come & look at some aussie pythons up close & personal.

Glad you're enjoying your trip so far!

Weather bureau saying possible showers for Bathurst saturday

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #279
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl
Yes, out & about early this year. It didnt chase you so it must of been cold

If you were still in penrith I would offer to let you come & look at some aussie pythons up close & personal.

Glad you're enjoying your trip so far!

Weather bureau saying possible showers for Bathurst saturday
Sadly I only had time for lunch in Penrith on my itinerary.

The last forecast I heard (yesterday) said "passing shower" on Saturday and sunny the rest of the time. I hope that's true. It was beautiful today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
There's lots of old Mustangs here. Although I begin to see more and more in LHD, as laws have changed and don't need to be converted.

I haven't tried a Serious Lamb burger yet. It's one of the special limited time meals McDonald's like to offer occasionally. They'll probably run out before I get a chance to get one though.
I saw a LHD '67 Mustang coupe in Sydney CBD.

Last night I went out to dinner with forum member Neale. I had kangaroo rump (still haven't seen a live one, even though I've eaten one now!). It was the best kangaroo I've ever had.

Neale told me about Catalina Park. In an interesting coincidence, I bought a book in Sydney called Car Lovers: Twelve Australian Writers on Four Wheels. This is from the first essay (the author is reminiscing about being inspired by Peter Brock rallycross racing in a Torana, circa 1971):

Quote:
My uncle, aunty and cousins lived in Katoomba, in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. That's why I was at the nearby Catalina Park circuit. It was almost always cold and always raining, in my memory at least. I have no idea how I used to get into the track. Romantic notions suggest I should have climbed under a fence; I more likely paid thirty or fifty cents. Maybe I wasn't there as often as my memory tells me. But when I look back at the very early 1970s, that is where I spent my winter weekends, alone and squeezed between smoking, swearing and screaming grown-ups, vicariously winning from the back of the field, time and time again.
Anyway, today I walked around the circuit, in the correct direction, I hope (counterclockwise). The surface is all there, with many weeds growing through it. A lot of the steel guardrails and wooden guard walls remain. I saw a few old tyres stacked up here and there.

People walk around the track for exercise. There was a father with a young daughter on a scooter, a mother with a baby in a pram, and a young couple lay down on a blanket in the infield.

Something is going on at the property. Neale told me a wall had been removed since the last time he was there, and today there were trucks on the track and people in some sort of uniform walking through the brush in the area.

Tomorrow I drive to Bathurst! (I got a nice commemorative stamp set at the post office today.) All the random people I've spoken to regarding the race seem to be Holden fans. Oh well.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #280
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
All the random people I've spoken to regarding the race seem to be Holden fans. Oh well.
All probably wearing singlets and missing teeth.
These are well known in Australia to be called "Bogans" .... hee hee

Just kidding.

You have done more than a lot of people who live here have done when it comes o going out and checking out our own country. Well done on going and see what you have done ... especially in such little time.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #281
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

No, eating lunch at Scenic World, working at the post office, etc.

I got good advice here to help plan my itinerary! (I also researched your history and geography somewhat. I'm glad I did.)
Old 03-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #282
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
All probably wearing singlets and missing teeth.
These are well known in Australia to be called "Bogans" .... hee hee

Just kidding.
They are making shirts now

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #283
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tomorrow I drive to Bathurst! (I got a nice commemorative stamp set at the post office today.) All the random people I've spoken to regarding the race seem to be Holden fans. Oh well.
Us Ford fans are the underdogs down here. Most people just follow the bandwagon and support the side with the most wins to its name, or because of the misconception that Holden is 'the Australian car'.

I must admit I'm rather jealous that you get to be at the track this weekend. Enjoy the experience and get ready to see a lot of these guys around

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #284
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC
They are making shirts now

That's awesome!

Heading off to the track in about an hour.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #285
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
I must admit I'm rather jealous that you get to be at the track this weekend. Enjoy the experience and get ready to see a lot of these guys around

It'll remind me of home.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:15 AM   #286
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

This has been really enjoyable reading Moby!...
Can't wait to hear your opinions of the Mountain. (Especially mingling up at McPhillamy)
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM   #287
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

this thread needs pics
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #288
4stanger