Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-12-2014, 01:04 PM   #301
Guzz226

Default Re: Ford announces 2016 V8 Supercars withdrawal

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
Funny thing is that at the Falcon Fanatics event, Bob Grazino announced that Ford will be in the V8 supercars as long as they are around... Only for this **** to happen..?
Bob didn't say that at all - his words were more about how good was it that FGX was going to be on the grid next year.

He was very careful in his words and it was more what he didnt say. There was no talk on sponsorship or support - it was inferred but not stated - he implied they were supporting yet at the time the official press releases were about waiting to the end of the year.

Means that when they announced the inevitable he wasn't actually correcting or changing anything said on the day - typical bulls|t double talk and half truths.

There was enough double speak and fragments that I left that day knowing they were pulling out but was hoping I was wrong......
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #302
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeyson View Post
Except Holden at least committed to HRT & 888 for a further 2 years (2015/2016) falling in line with when local production ends, which has me wondering that Ford are aware they probably will be ending production early, or once they have finished building the XR8's on order

Sucks this news is out already, already copping so much crap from Holden mates. But oh wells, I really hope when the new regs come in, there will be some official Ford presence on track.

Just glad I made it to my first (and probably last) Bathurst 1000 this year
Just ask your mates what Holden will be racing, if they will be racing in 2017?
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 PM   #303
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/sport/motorsp...-1227141241095
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 02:02 PM   #304
SpannerXR8
2008 BF XR8

Well thats it for me.......you would have thought they would have learned from the F1 experiment this year, no F1 noise = no fans = teams going broke, V8Supercar (or whatever name the pony tailed marketing tossers come up with) No Ford = 50% less fans = 50% less cash!!!
Real motor racing died when we went to E85 economy runs anyway..........Brocky would be turning in his grave!!!
SpannerXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #305
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not surprisingly, articles like this are coming out:
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/writing-...percars_021214

Quote:
Tuesday, December 02, 2014 - 10:53 AM
Source: SportsFan
Author: Ben Hocking

Ford's official announcement that it was pulling out of V8 Supercars is the latest in a long list of blows to the sport, and it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

The sport has been in constant decline ever since it failed to attract enough interest to secure a proper TV rights deal and just signed on for an extra year with Channel Seven as a stop-gap measure. The latest TV rights deal, which sees the majority of the races broadcast solely on pay television from next season onwards, will mean limited exposure to anyone outside of die hard motorsport fans, and ensure the sport has fallen a long way from its glory days.

The announcement at the start of this year that Holden would stop manufacturing cars in Australia was a further blow, that hasn't yet translated to V8 Supercars, but the writing was on the wall.

The simple fact is, people across Australia are abandoning big sedans in favour of more fuel efficient alternatives, and the attraction of Falcons and Commodores is waning. Ford is planning to stop production of the Falcon, so why would it stick to V8 Supercar racing to try and promote a brand that means nothing? The Mustang is aimed at a very niche market and the Blue Oval cannot justify spending millions to promote it through local motorsport.

The news is particularly galling for Marcos Ambrose, who has abandoned a profitable NASCAR career in the United States to return to a series that looks like it is going through its death throes. If the current crop of excellent drivers are not currently investigating their options overseas, they should be.

Jamie Whincup, who may have been struggling for motivation even if the sport was thriving, is the first driver that should seek to emulate Ambrose and plump for a NASCAR career. As Australia's greatest ever tour car driver, he owes it to himself to try and prove himself on one of motorsport's biggest stages.

V8 Supercars move to head this disastrous situation off at the pass by opening up the sport to new manufacturers has done little to stem the bleeding. Volvo, Nissan and Mercedes have all had some early moments of success, but that hasn't translated into many extra fans coming through the gates to watch them race, or any significant bump in television ratings, either.

The declining interest in the sport, from motoring companies to sponsors to network television and to race fans will also start to bite in other ways in the coming years. The street circuits which were the backbone of the sport's success in the early 2000s will quickly lose government support when crowd numbers start to drop off significantly. If that happens and we lose races like the Clipsal 500, the Townsville street race and the Gold Coast 600, the sport will lose even more fans as the category flocks back to unpopular, out-of-the-way permanent race circuits. This will be attractive to the hard-core race fans, but will never draw the same crowds as a street circuit.

While the future is bleak on the back of Ford's announcement, motorsport in this country will always find a way to survive. Bathurst will still remain enormously popular, regardless of what cars take part in the event. The hard-core motorsport fans, won't jump off the bandwagon, any time soon and that means that domestic racing will always have its place. It is just that that place will be a little further away from the mainstream sporting landscape than we have been accustomed to in recent years.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #306
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted View Post
WOW they can announce they are pulling support a year in advance bit leave announcing support to the last minute - *********

V8 Supercars management is partly to blame here by making it the Commodore Cup .........

“Go Further 2020: Experience the Future Today” - on Sunday I saw there is a new building at Ford HQ with this on it.....
If I remember correctly, Ford is as much to blame as anyone else for the Commodore cup, by withdrawing all support from the small teams.

Holden just threw them a heap of body shells and panels, so they swapped over, better off with a little bit of free stuff than nothing from Ford.
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #307
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerXR8 View Post
Well thats it for me.......you would have thought they would have learned from the F1 experiment this year, no F1 noise = no fans = teams going broke, V8Supercar (or whatever name the pony tailed marketing tossers come up with) No Ford = 50% less fans = 50% less cash!!!
Real motor racing died when we went to E85 economy runs anyway..........Brocky would be turning in his grave!!!
Are you serious, you have to be taking the pi##? The downfall of F1 was because of noise? What happened in the 80's when the turbo cars were quiet?
You sure it has nothing to do with CVC and one Bernie E?

E85 stopped motor racing? How was that? I am genuinely interested in hearing this.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #308
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Not surprisingly, articles like this are coming out:
http://www.sportsfan.com.au/writing-...percars_021214
What a spot on article...........
Old 02-12-2014, 03:04 PM   #309
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Ranger - yes
Focus didn't even make top 10 for August , September , October or November.

Some dealerships are closing down and some are co existing with other branded dealerships. They have stepped out of Motorsport now as well. So clearly , yes they are transitioning......into a half assed version of their former self.

In fact they have gone from being the falcon car company to the ranger car company.

Oh well...we move on.

This is the thing. Focus, Fiesta, Mondeo continue to underperform and despite the Ranger's great showing, overall Ford continues to slip down the sales charts. Other things occuring like the powershift transmissions and shift from German to Thai build are noticed. It would seem since about 2007 and 'One Ford' FOA has been (directed to?) abandon its Australian heritage, not mention or advertise it, and re-make itself as a lesser version of Toyota.

This leaves a pretty bad taste in the mouth. Why should I bother going back to Ford to get one of their passenger cars, when they've proved that they are quite happy to toast their history, their identity? Why should I buy the Ford FWD import over one that will give me better resale? Both purchases are an own-goal for Australia's balance-of-payments, too. Ford are moving toward whitegoods on wheels with good economy and tech, like everyone else. It's a tough, competitive market out there, and I can see better vehicles of this type from other manufacturers. So yeah, we move on.

In terms of racing, the Bathurst 12 hour each year will give all of us a platform to see what's sold in the showroom on the racetrack - the BMW's do quite well, you can see them up against WRX (and some years ago, John Bowe in an XR8) so this can replace the V8SC format if you are into 'the Big Race'. The Mustang can make an appearance there, factory support or no.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #310
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
This is the thing. Focus, Fiesta, Mondeo continue to underperform and despite the Ranger's great showing, overall Ford continues to slip down the sales charts. Other things occuring like the powershift transmissions and shift from German to Thai build are noticed. It would seem since about 2007 and 'One Ford' FOA has been (directed to?) abandon its Australian heritage, not mention or advertise it, and re-make itself as a lesser version of Toyota.

This leaves a pretty bad taste in the mouth. Why should I bother going back to Ford to get one of their passenger cars, when they've proved that they are quite happy to toast their history, their identity? Why should I buy the Ford FWD import over one that will give me better resale? Both purchases are an own-goal for Australia's balance-of-payments, too. Ford are moving toward whitegoods on wheels with good economy and tech, like everyone else. It's a tough, competitive market out there, and I can see better vehicles of this type from other manufacturers. So yeah, we move on.

In terms of racing, the Bathurst 12 hour each year will give all of us a platform to see what's sold in the showroom on the racetrack - the BMW's do quite well, you can see them up against WRX (and some years ago, John Bowe in an XR8) so this can replace the V8SC format if you are into 'the Big Race'. The Mustang can make an appearance there, factory support or no.
I can sympathise with the emotion in this post and some of it is true.

Still Ford is a global company whose primary goal is to be profitable and for that reason have changed their business model.

Consumer expectations, tastes and business overheads have changed and if Ford doesn’t change now they would have to do it eventually and the longer they leave it, the more irresponsible they become to their shareholders.

History will prove if they are taking the right direction or not.

Motorsport no longer sells cars to the masses.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 03:51 PM   #311
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I can sympathise with the emotion in this post and some of it is true.

Still Ford is a global company whose primary goal is to be profitable and for that reason have changed their business model.

Consumer expectations, tastes and business overheads have changed and if Ford doesn’t change now they would have to do it eventually and the longer they leave it, the more irresponsible they become to their shareholders.

History will prove if they are taking the right direction or not.

Motorsport no longer sells cars to the masses.
Yes Loudpipes this is true, as a business, particularly in the US under Mullally, they did so well. That they didn't go to chapter 11 or get restructured destroying bondholders and giving 1/3 of the new entity to the union was a bonus. And global new product will be released without the duplication. However, in OneFord there are some anomalies, the F Series is protected inside the US from Ranger, Ford Brazil are permitted to make unique-to-their-market models. FOA were sacrificed on the altar as part of this restructure. And any business should be mindful of it's customers, including those driven by emotion to its products.

Watching what's been going on to FOA in recent years has been an excellent "how not to" to observe in running any business. It's more biting when one considers the strength of Ford of Canada in their market - a country that is a lot like ours in many ways (small population, Western, Westminster law, resources, high wage, Ford manufacturing plants there).
Old 02-12-2014, 04:01 PM   #312
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Another quote like that and you'll be having a holiday. If you don't like my POV then feel free to debate it.

Russ
puts99 comment " Thanks Ford Public Relations" ,,,im with him on this one,,thats what it looks like from here aswell,,,its not a bad thing,,,thats your take on it,,like you its just someone view or opinion,,no need to debate it,,no need to try and stand over someone by saying things like " you'll be having a holiday",,,its emotional times,,,take a chill pill,,,plus that walking cat thing in your avatar is distracting and annoying.
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 PM   #313
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
for the third time, do the V8 supercar series support a two door shell?
If they dont then what do Ford run? A car that won't exist?

I think their options were limited by the series.

Open your eyes and have a look around the world and you can see where these cars are raced.
From 2017 the answer is looking more likely YES..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #314
timeout

Hate to say it however it was the beginning of the end when Geoff Polities left for Europe?
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 05:49 PM   #315
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZQUAD44 View Post
This just sucks, losing the falcon sucks, no ford representation in motor racing sucks, the general apathy of so called "Australian ford enthusiasts" on an Australian ford forum sucks, and worst of all the total disregard by the parent company of the greatest rear wheel drive sedan ford has ever produced.... It just Sucks

As some bright spark once said, Stand for something or fall for anything. I have stood for the Falcon for many years. I believed in the Falcon, what it represented, and the rich history of Australian Motorsport it helped create. I took my hat off to the many people behind the falcon, and the quality of the car they produced despite the meagre budgets allocated to each model. I applauded the high Australian content in each car, an achievement that never got the air time it deserved.

I cursed reading reviews of the Falcon by so called journalists who clearly had a FoA axe to grind, or had their pay checks provided by the opposition. I looked on with great suspicion at Motorsport officialdom who managed to introduce rules which managed to hobble the Falcon just prior to the great race, or alternatively never seem to react when the falcon aero package was clearly inferior to what was applied to other makes.

I was always proud of the way blue oval race teams, in a sea of red, managed to claw their way to the top of the podium despite being out numbered, out supported, and out financed. And I have always been proud of how long the falcon nameplate survived in Australia despite poor government policy, short sighted unions, a strong Australian dollar, poor marketing of the product, at times poor dealer service, and a parent company who clearly does not give a toss.

Unfortunately, I am part of a dying breed in this country. Someone who wants to buy an Australian rear wheel drive sedan. Even if it means I get no lane departure warning, I have to reverse parallel park all by myself, or have to endure a seating position that is ever so slightly different to other cars..... God forbid! I think a few too many of us have been living a little to high on the pig of late, and I suspect we have lost our way a little.

So, yes, I lament the loss of the Falcon, and I lament the loss of Ford from Australian motor sport, and I'm ****ed that I am so disappointed about the loss of the falcon but it appears not many other Aussies share this view.

But I have determined it's not all bad:

No longer will I have to endure one sided automotive media "reviews" by people who don't give a toss or completely missed the point,
No longer will I have to care about a car because after 2016 they are all "fridges" to me,
No longer will I have to ruin my weekends sitting inside watching V8 super cars,
No longer will I have to put up with lousy ford dealer service departments, and
There is a good chance my Falcon in the shed will start appreciating in value.

Good luck to anyone who got to the bottom of this post. No insult intended to anyone in particular. I suspect I'm just getting old!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Brings a tear to my eye this comment
Post of the century for me!!!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #316
DMENTDGT
ON CHARGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS608 View Post
Only ever owned fords but you know what..my next ride may well be a GEN F..

That's absolute disgusting, a gen f stop the smoking...

Andrew

FORD FALCON FPV GT 335
Lightening Strike
ZF Box
Leather
Cat Back 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
5% Tints
Stock Power: 346.3rwkw

Current Rides: Porsche Cayenne, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1
PRIOR RIDES: BA2 xr8 ute, AU2 Xr6, EL xr8, EB Ghia 5.0L, XD 4.0L
DMENTDGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #317
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

They have pulled their backing before. Privateers took up the slack.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:17 PM   #318
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMENTDGT View Post
That's absolute disgusting, a gen f stop the smoking...

Andrew
What would you suggest with no V8 ute in Fords stable? Can't buy an FGX XR8 ute...
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM   #319
DMENTDGT
ON CHARGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS608 View Post
What would you suggest with no V8 ute in Fords stable? Can't buy an FGX XR8 ute...

A nice Raptor they have a 5.0L

Andrew

FORD FALCON FPV GT 335
Lightening Strike
ZF Box
Leather
Cat Back 2.5" Stainless Steel Exhaust
5% Tints
Stock Power: 346.3rwkw

Current Rides: Porsche Cayenne, Suzuki GSXR 1000 K1
PRIOR RIDES: BA2 xr8 ute, AU2 Xr6, EL xr8, EB Ghia 5.0L, XD 4.0L
DMENTDGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #320
Bossxr8
Peter Car

6.2 actually.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 PM   #321
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6tjet View Post
Funny thing is that at the Falcon Fanatics event, Bob Grazino announced that Ford will be in the V8 supercars as long as they are around... Only for this **** to happen..?
Maybe out of there control.
Ford pulled all there funding from the NHRA where it spend big dollars with John Force and a couple of other teams, the cut is on everywhere.
John Force also lost Castrol as a sponsor of more than 20 years, Lucus Oil has picked this up, as for car branding who knows NHRA car branding is a huge deal.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:26 PM   #322
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMENTDGT View Post
A nice Raptor they have a 5.0L

Andrew
too easy..can i borrow $130k?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM   #323
Blueford260

Just out of interest would anyone here know how much it would cost for a company to do a nation wide advertising campaign across TV, Radio and print for say a month or 6 week period.
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:13 PM   #324
Focused

It's sad to see but not surprising. Ford want to move away from being the Falcon Motor Company and more like a company with a full range of good cars.

How many sales has the V8s given Ford over the last few years? Obviously not many. Sure, there's a few enthusiasts on here who've bought FPVs, but they're the only ones.

With the V8s moving to pay-TV-only (I think?) next year, I know I won't be watching them, and a lot of others will be cut out too.
Focused is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #325
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully they give the Geelong cats the flick as well...
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #326
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shows over King of the hill

RIP
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #327
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Why? Football has a good target reach...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:13 PM   #328
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
i would say geelong is a better investment than motorsport. they get their brand exposed to the public every weekend for 6 months, and not just focused mainly on one model either.

motorsport can build a brand following, but won't necessarily result in sales in the immediate future, esp if the 'fan' is young, but how much exposure is motorsport really giving them? the crowd numbers at the big street circuits seem to be ok, but i wonder what those numbers would look like if there wasn't a concert at the end of each day. many people walk in as the 'on track' action is finishing.

motorsport fans and enthusiasts are a minority. its something we have to deal with. Ford, as a seller of cars, have to continue to chase the largest markets.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #329
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

who or what is Geelong cats ???
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #330
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave View Post
who or what is Geelong cats ???
The Mighty Cats
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: