Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2023, 02:13 PM   #331
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: According to Drive Ranger XL and XLS are not selling?

The 2.3 EB engine is probably way cheaper for Ford to produce than the 2.0 diesel.
I think it would be worth a shot offering 2.3 EB XL SC Ute as a competitor to the Hilux 2.7 petrol tradie.
I think the Ecoboost motor might get prices down to just under $30k, within striking distance with more power…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-01-2023, 02:24 PM   #332
gassa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The 2.3 EB engine is probably way cheaper for Ford to produce than the 2.0 diesel.
I think it would be worth a shot offering 2.3 EB XL SC Ute as a competitor to the Hilux 2.7 petrol tradie.
I think the Ecoboost motor might get prices down to just under $30k, within striking distance with more power…
One of the repercussions of Ranger sales is the Raptor, over 12 months wait for 1, ordered May22 get April 23
Gassa
gassa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 05:14 PM   #333
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Why would Ford even bother competing with the triton, the Ranger outsells it about 3 to 1. It’s getting really old now and sales continue to drop away.

You can guarantee the new Triton, which i think isn’t that far away, will move up significantly in price, size and spec to better compete with Ranger. Prototypes already show it looks much more comparible in size, not like the skinny current model.

The D-Max and Bt50 jumped significantly in cost to near Ranger levels with the new one.

And “won’t dominate the ute market”? It’s been the highest seller in 2 of the past 3 months, and will continue to battle for the highest selling vehicle in the country now the supply is there. What more do they need to do?
I've been waiting for a response from the Boss ...hehe
OK let's clear the faults, firstly Ranger doesn't out sell Triton 3 to 1 in 22 Ranger sold 47400 Triton 27400 your maths a bit out and don't say including Raptors....I wasn't comparing Triton with Ranger just suggesting there's 27k of sales which if the base Ranger was more competitively priced they could get a slice of so they could dominate......afterall they are basically a one trick pony down under .....next fault they mightve dominated January
But Hilux dominated 22 with 64k top selling vehicle overall

Ford need to halt the bad image its starting to get ( I know it's only a few replacements ) but if they want to keep selling high end utes they need a decent image.....not : oh they all do that or some other flog off I'm with Bent I'm not going to pay 70-80 k for a ute that you may or may not get the backing of the dealerships ....maybe they could offer warranties like the triton and honor them....might give potential customers some confidence......you've got a lot to lose if you're a one trick pony?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 06:57 PM   #334
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering Triton wasn’t in the top 10 last month with 10th coming in at 1637 sales, Boss’ maths might just about be on point.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 07:38 PM   #335
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Considering Triton wasn’t in the top 10 last month with 10th coming in at 1637 sales, Boss’ maths might just about be on point.
Last month means nothing a whole year gives a more accurate number to where they are , no point cherry picking when your going well ?.....unless you like throwing around poms poms and kicking your legs high in the air......:

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-01-2023, 09:35 PM   #336
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Last month means nothing a whole year gives a more accurate number to where they are , no point cherry picking when your going well ?.....unless you like throwing around poms poms and kicking your legs high in the air......:
Good point, given this was a model change over year and supplies were stuffed for a while, I’ll refer to 2021 sales figures which was the last full year of the last gen, Ranger outsold Triton by around 2.5 to one, given what looks to be improved supply lately the gap from last month probably won’t change much.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 10:22 PM   #337
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Good point, given this was a model change over year and supplies were stuffed for a while, I’ll refer to 2021 sales figures which was the last full year of the last gen, Ranger outsold Triton by around 2.5 to one, given what looks to be improved supply lately the gap from last month probably won’t change much.
Well they weren't the lone Ranger (see what I did there ) with the supply issues? .....but hey you can go back to what ever year to make the poms poms fly in the right direction it really doesn't worry me

If I was Ford I would be worried because either Toyota or mitsubishi have the history and experience to put a PHEV together pretty quickly and it will be a game changer if they can do it at a competitive price IMO they will work better for tradies and business people......there's already rumors the next Triton will offer it

There's rumors about an EV Ranger.....but even if it happens I think a PHEV would work better for a work ute because you wouldn't have to charge it during the day once it used the charge you can run it as a hybrid, ,the V2H would work really well

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-01-2023, 10:36 PM   #338
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

V2H is a scam on EVs because you're using cycles running your house rather than driving the car.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 10:42 PM   #339
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
V2H is a scam on EVs because you're using cycles running your house rather than driving the car.
Maybe but it would be pretty handy for running power tools etc for business people doing jobs quickly

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-01-2023, 11:02 PM   #340
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you were in the middle of a power black out I'd take the scam .....run a few lights heat up something in the microwave watch TV, if you used 2 or 3kw it would be a part cycle be better than sitting in the dark....if it was a work vehicle you wouldn't give a toss

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 14-01-2023, 11:15 PM   #341
gassa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well they weren't the lone Ranger (see what I did there ) with the supply issues? .....but hey you can go back to what ever year to make the poms poms fly in the right direction it really doesn't worry me

If I was Ford I would be worried because either Toyota or mitsubishi have the history and experience to put a PHEV together pretty quickly and it will be a game changer if they can do it at a competitive price IMO they will work better for tradies and business people......there's already rumors the next Triton will offer it

There's rumors about an EV Ranger.....but even if it happens I think a PHEV would work better for a work ute because you wouldn't have to charge it during the day once it used the charge you can run it as a hybrid, ,the V2H would work really well
Ranger will be Ev soon, they are working together with VW, if not the next model Ranger it WILL be the 1 after that

Gassa
gassa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 11:30 PM   #342
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassa View Post
Ranger will be Ev soon, they are working together with VW, if not the next model Ranger it WILL be the 1 after that

Gassa
Yes if they produce it quickly it will be interesting.....just doesn't seam to happen with EV'S spose it's a whole new ball game

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 15-01-2023, 12:33 AM   #343
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
If you were in the middle of a power black out I'd take the scam .....run a few lights heat up something in the microwave watch TV, if you used 2 or 3kw it would be a part cycle be better than sitting in the dark....if it was a work vehicle you wouldn't give a toss
Sure - but thats the .01% of the time (unless you live where I do and its now 5% of the time )

The V2H scam is going to catch out the people who think oh wow I can come back home from work, use my EV battery as my energy storage when the sun is down for my house then go to work.

Then they find out 18 months later they're up for $30,000 for a new battery for their car that now has a range of 50km, they'll be trying to claim it on warranty who are going to turn around and say hows no sound
Old 15-01-2023, 08:10 AM   #344
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
One of the repercussions of Ranger sales is the Raptor, over 12 months wait for 1, ordered May22 get April 23
Gassa
I think they’ve done well getting 4,000 RRs delivered in 2022 out of 19,000, the big issue is still sourcing those 100 odd parts that are come from China.

That and the fact that Ford only planned 29,000 V6 Diesel engines for the first 12 months, so if the build profile is set, then that means the EB V6 RR gets sucked into the problem.
Old 15-01-2023, 08:27 AM   #345
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ranger has been outselling Triton three to one Since October, November and December, so whatever is happening, the wheels are most certainly falling off at Mitsubishi- their A/C units are absolutely shocking and regularly fail, it’s why our company fleet is switching to Hilux (couldn’t sway them to Ranger as wait times too long)
Old 15-01-2023, 08:33 AM   #346
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Gassa
The EV Ute VW was talking about is not Ranger based, they’re commissioning MAGNA to build a BEV pickup for North America. BEV Ranger is down the order, 2027 or later now as other priorities have jumped in front (CE1 compact BEV for Nth America)
Old 15-01-2023, 12:16 PM   #347
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Ranger has been outselling Triton three to one Since October, November and December, so whatever is happening, the wheels are most certainly falling off at Mitsubishi- their A/C units are absolutely shocking and regularly fail, it’s why our company fleet is switching to Hilux (couldn’t sway them to Ranger as wait times too long)
That's the availability problem I was talking about, it might be the best but if you can't get your hands on one sooner rather than later people go elsewhere.
Old 15-01-2023, 04:55 PM   #348
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The pom pom brigade still don't want to see my point lol

Are you now telling me that Rangers more reliable than Triton......classic

Must be why Ranger comes with a 10 year warranty.......or have I got that wrong haha

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 15-01-2023, 05:00 PM   #349
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's the availability problem I was talking about, it might be the best but if you can't get your hands on one sooner rather than later people go elsewhere.
Or it could be it's too pricey for what you're getting?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 15-01-2023, 05:01 PM   #350
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Seems to be an awful lot of them on the lot at my local Ford dealer, I thought they were hard to get ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2023, 05:04 PM   #351
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Seems to be an awful lot of them on the lot at my local Ford dealer, I thought they were hard to get ?
Depends on the build spec you're after. I believe the wait on a bi turbo XLT isn't as much as a v6 wildtrack, for example.
Old 15-01-2023, 05:09 PM   #352
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Depends on the build spec you're after. I believe the wait on a bi turbo XLT isn't as much as a v6 wildtrack, for example.
a few Raptors I spotted the other day are still on the lot.

Old 15-01-2023, 05:19 PM   #353
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

For most businesses it always comes down to cost and time..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #354
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably bought by the dealer and marked up 20%. Guarantee they aren’t 95k.
The wait for V6 wildtrak PP and raptor are 12ish months
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2023, 05:32 PM   #355
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Where was that mate? I have a mate looking for one.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2023, 05:38 PM   #356
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Where was that mate? I have a mate looking for one.
Wangaratta

Old 16-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #357
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Journos already reporting Ford will have a PHEV by next year, which will probably beat both to market. Certainly will beat the Hilux, it's years away. Heard suggestions that 2026 might even be a stretch for Hilux Hybrid.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2023, 11:46 AM   #358
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Journos already reporting Ford will have a PHEV by next year, which will probably beat both to market. Certainly will beat the Hilux, it's years away. Heard suggestions that 2026 might even be a stretch for Hilux Hybrid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
That will be interesting if you're correct.....wonder what battery they'll use the Escape set up will be too small?

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 16-01-2023, 12:46 PM   #359
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
With a PHEV Ranger if you can get fuel consumption to under 10L/100km on the combined cycle with unleaded I reckon it's RIP diesel - why would you bother with diesel with it's much higher fuel and maintenance costs?
Old 16-01-2023, 01:07 PM   #360
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In the old days companies would have some items sold under the banner "loss leader' so that they at least had a customer deal with them, start a possible relationship that if nurtured would easily recoup the "losses" on that particular item.
Today's environment probably means nothing needs to be sold at cost or below cost such is the supply situation we have lived in for the last 3 years.
I don't understand why Ford doesn't chase every possible sale. The actual purchase transaction might not generate the sales profit of a Wildtrak or XLT but the dealer network has to service these vehicles, the customer starts a new relationship with Ford which has the potential for the next sale being a higher spec model, Ford gets the cache of best-selling vehicle in the market which you cannot buy through the same spend in marketing, marketing costs more...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: