Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #31
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Right hand rule applies in all cases, simple really. How would you apeoch a lights controled intersection with the light out. what aplies? again, right hand rule. The only place I seen here where it don't is the likes of option B turning lefthas the right of way. This confuses some people. I reckon the right hand rule should apply in all cases, too simple.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #32
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
If you drive under a truck it comes under plain stupidity, how can you not see something that huge and not give way, with trucks its more just common sense than just knowing road rules.
True too a point but a lack of the road rules is only too common. Undertaking for one, Tail gating and stopping safe merger of oncomming freeway traffic, racing ahead to stop some one merging safely or overtaking. confusion of right hand rule.
Atruck, combine harvester, elephant, fecking quite simple if its on the round about and its on your right its give way, but if traffic was to stay two lengths apart how well do you reckon the flow of a round about would be which is how they should work. That ones abit hard to take but its true.
This country and the Kiwi's are very bad at most of what I mentioned.
P.S. what I was ment to add to your comment of no common sence was a lack of common curtosy and manners
Old 29-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #33
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
1st scenario, depends on how much distance was travelled before car A braked causing B to run into the back of him. If was almost instantanious then in most cases B wouldn't be charged.

2nd scenario, car A has to give way to car B.

At least that the rules in WA.
Correct here in Vic too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
car A in both instances.
Ummm, no.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #34
Fireblade
Wizard Member

1. You cant cross more than one lane at a time without indicating for a period, you must sit in each lane for a couple of seconds indicating that you are going across.

2. If Car B has already started his turn then car A must give way, you can't just decide to go and think you have right of way once another car has started moving, so in both instances car A is in the wrong.
Old 29-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #35
LTDHO
The one and only

Sorry F6 Foon, not the case at all.

Turning vehicle must give way to all oncoming traffic

From Road Rules.
Driver turning right giving way to an oncoming vehicle that is going straight ahead on the road the driver is leaving
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #36
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
True too a point but a lack of the road rules is only too common. Undertaking for one, ......
isn't that to do with taking out dead bodies??

i hear this term bandied about quite a lot and it makes little sense on the road.

overtaking refers to passing another car, be it on the left or right. if its a multilane road, both are perfectly legal. if there are no lines marked, then you can't overtake on the left. if there are no lines you are meant to drive 'as near as is practicle to the left side!'

burnz - geez you love clutching at straws on this forum.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #37
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

The diagram in LTDHO's post sums it up, even with multi-lane roads. Turn right across the face of oncoming traffic, even when they're stationary because of traffic ahead of them, at your peril. Best to keep going and turn right further up where it would be a lot safer.

And at roundabouts... from experience driving, not many really know the rules with those either. Yes, give way to other vehicles already on the roundabout, but how do you prove to your insurer that the car from the right entered after you, when it hits you? Then there are the drivers in front who wait forever to give way to a vehicle still approaching the roundabout from the right. Personally I hate roundabouts, people keep going around when they have their left indicator on, or right indicator when they are exiting, found it best to ignore indicators altogether. But panelbeaters must love them.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #38
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i hear this term bandied about quite a lot and it makes little sense on the road.
I think you'll find it refers to passing a car on their left. I.e. A car is turning right and you pass then on their left - undertaking.

Could also be a play on words if you try to pass a turning truck on their left, hence the no overtaking turning vehicle signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Correct. See my except from the Australian road rules above.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #39
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
overtaking refers to passing another car, be it on the left or right. if its a multilane road, both are perfectly legal.
Highly illegal to overtake (undertake) on the left side in countries like England. Australia must be one of the very few countries where it is legal.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I think you'll find it refers to passing a car on their left. I.e. A car is turning right and you pass then on their left - undertaking.

Could also be a play on words if you try to pass a turning truck on their left, hence the no overtaking turning vehicle signs.

i realise people use it referring to passing on the left and it is usually used to mean an illegal maneuver.

the way i see it, whether you pass on the left or right, it is still 'overtaking'.

undertaking refers to the removal of dead bodies.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Highly illegal to overtake (undertake) on the left side in countries like England. Australia must be one of the very few countries where it is legal.

maybe this is why people tailgate? they think that its illegal to pass on the left, even when its a separate lane!

on multilane roads, you can pass either side. on multilane roads with a speed limit of 80 or more, it is law to 'keep left unless overtaking'.

if its illegal to pass on the left, how would you go about travelling on the many highways around the country that have 3 or 4 lanes in each direction??

it is only illegal if its a single lane road or no line markings.
Old 29-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #42
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Quote:
if its illegal to pass on the left, how would you go about travelling on the many highways around the country that have 3 or 4 lanes in each direction??
Simple, vehicles actually keep to the left in those countries. If you happen to be in the right lane and not overtaking, you will certainly be told pretty quickly by a Jaguar or something that has come up quickly from behind with its lights flashing.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:03 PM   #43
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
Simple, vehicles actually keep to the left in those countries. ...

Except the damned trucks that take forever to pass another truck.

Rules:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070308
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #44
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I struggle to see where this needs two pages to work it out.

In scenario A Car A is at fault as you must give way to all other traffic when changing lanes.

In scenario B car B is at fault for entering the intersection before car A has cleared the intersection.
The only time car A would yeild to car B is when there is a slip lane at the intersection where car A is seen as entering the new road from T junction situation and must give way to traffic (car B) already on the new road.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #45
BA Baracus
xls

There's a scenario near my house like that of (2) however it is one lane each way and the car turning left (A) has a "turn left at anytime with care" sign. It's an absolute death trap and there's been many accidents there. At this one near me car (A) must give way to car (B) but the problem comes when car (A) has following traffic behind it. If the following traffic is carrying on strait then car (B) will obviously need to wait meaning it's clear for car (A) to proceed with it's left turn, but if the following traffic follows car (A) in doing the left turn car (B) proceeds with it's turn. Insanely hard to judge what traffic behind you will do ahead of time and it's a game of nerve. Even if car (A) comes to a full stop before proceeding it often seems safe to proceed but then car (B) ends up going at the same time and car (A) needs to floor it to avoid a rear end collision from car (B).

That said though in the picture if car (B) is crossing path of stationery traffic heading forward that itself is failing to give way (even if given the courtesy by other drivers) and would put it at fault. Unless there's lights involved and the stationery traffic has a red signal.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #46
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

A lot of people here would fail a road rules test. As posted above, how has it taken 2 pages, Post #2 "should" have the correct answer (no disrespect to whoever was the second poster). Reading this makes you understand the lack of knowledge on the roads. IT also highlights why there are so many crashes. This is also coming from car enthusiasts, what about those who consider a car just transport from A-B and have no real interest in driving.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #47
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I cant see where the talk of lights etc. has made its way into the scenarios.
From what i can see scenario 2 is an uncontrolled T section.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #48
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Sorry F6 Foon, not the case at all.

From Road Rules.
Driver turning right giving way to an oncoming vehicle that is going straight ahead on the road the driver is leaving
I fail to see what this has to do with the 2nd scenario, if the car is already turning and everybody has let them through, how does car A suddenly decide to go forward be in the right. Maybe they are legally??, but morally they are not.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:32 PM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Where does it say that the traffic has stopped to allow the turning car through, i think your confusing the situation due to the way it has been drawn.

I cant say ive ever seen an intersection where the normal flow of multi laned uncontrolled (no stop line, sign, lights etc.) traffic would stop to allow a turning vehicle right of way
Old 29-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #50
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Where does it say they havent?, I think your confused by the drawing. The car wouldnt have made it through 2 lanes and then get cleaned up by the 3rd car if they hadnt stopped.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #51
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

But your assuming there is a sign or set of lights, the diagram as given shows none of these so u must assume there is none.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #52
Fireblade
Wizard Member

where do I say theres a sign or or lights? I thought of common courtesy between drivers to allow the car turning to go with a lot of traffic coming the other way, thats what we do in Adelaide anyway, even if its legally wrong its just common courtesy.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #53
BA Baracus
xls

(A) might not have visibility of (B) as it's pulling out from behind another car.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #54
Fireblade
Wizard Member

If everyone has stopped and its not for lights or a sign then they must either be blind or not vigilant enough to see a car turning and shouldnt be driving anyway.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #55
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Im glad you said Adelaide, now lets consider your travelling south on West Tce from maccas at Hindley going to the Bay, you come to the uncontrolled intersection at Wright st (between the used and new CMI Toyota yards) there is a car waiting to turn into Wright st from West terrace, he's just come from Anzac Hwy, across your direction of travel, would you stop as a courtesy?
Old 29-12-2009, 12:46 PM   #56
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 FOON
If everyone has stopped and its not for lights or a sign then they must either be blind or not vigilant enough to see a car turning and shouldnt be driving anyway.
But the flow of traffic hasnt stopped, your just confusing the drawing as its been drawn.
It doesnt say anywhere that those cars below the intersection have stopped, it just shows the two front cars are line abreast.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #57
Fireblade
Wizard Member

if traffic is backed up yes I would, if traffic is flowing then no. The diagram seems to show traffic has stopped, if it hasnt then car A has sped up to go into the other lane, so assuming everyone is travelling the speed limit then that would also make car A in the wrong.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

: Mate, just because it 'looks' like they have stopped means nothing, you can only give an answer based on the facts given, in this case an uncontrolled T junction as i gave in my example and id like to see you stop on West tce to allow a turning car to go ahead :

BTW being on a multi laned road (wst Tce) its all good and well for you in your lane to be curteous but what about the bloke in either of the other lanes who isnt, the turning car would be T boned and at fault.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #59
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Actually reread the example given in the first post, car B gave way to car A who then changes his mind and goes after Car B has made more than half his turn which then collides with Car B, I would believe Car A would then be in the wrong in this example because then he hasnt given way.
Old 29-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #60
Fireblade
Wizard Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
: Mate, just because it 'looks' like they have stopped means nothing, you can only give an answer based on the facts given, in this case an uncontrolled T junction as i gave in my example and id like to see you stop on West tce to allow a turning car to go ahead :

BTW being on a multi laned road (wst Tce) its all good and well for you in your lane to be couteous but what about the bloke in either of the other lanes who isnt, the turning car would be T boned and at fault.
And your now showing your common courtesy for your fellow road users.