Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #31
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Re: Windows 10 problems

Yea it didn't install and noticed the regions are limited at the moment but surely its in Microsoft roadmap to roll it out to future regions.

And if they want their 1 billion windows 10 devices within the two - three years then they need to make windows 10 really attractive so people move on.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 PM   #32
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Downloaded it yesterday and it's fantastic. Windows 7 was the best OS they'd done, Windows 10 has surpassed it. Easy to use, the new settings menu is a highlight, it's quick to load and retains the feel of Windows of old which is not a bad thing.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2015, 11:57 PM   #33
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Complaining about Windows is like complaining about why the Sun sets in the West, or why ducks go quack.

Microsoft have been faced with the epic task for 30 years of ensuring that EVERY possible hardware & software configuration (including ones running sub-standard) allows their OS to function on it with every revision. And on top of that, making it backwards compatible, not go into complete & utter meltdown at the slightest hint of malicious code.

I just don't think people give them enough credit for the GIGANTIC amount of variables that go into PC development & still pull off something as simple & intuitive as a GUI based OS that for 99% of the time is functional to the highest standard x86 architecture can offer.

PC's arent toasters or washing machines folks.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 AM   #34
Binny

I've been using it since last year on my PC and now my kids have it on theirs as well.
I'm loving it, no issues at all and it works well on a 5 year old laptop too.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 AM   #35
outside
off in outer space

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Don't worry, you won't be getting Cortana.
you are sure ?

im sure i have it, on the task bar to the right of the start button, works like apple siri
Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #36
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside View Post
you are sure ?

im sure i have it, on the task bar to the right of the start button, works like apple siri
No, I'm not sure but Microsoft is.
See post 23
Old 07-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #37
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD-85 View Post
Complaining about Windows is like complaining about why the Sun sets in the West, or why ducks go quack.

Microsoft have been faced with the epic task for 30 years of ensuring that EVERY possible hardware & software configuration (including ones running sub-standard) allows their OS to function on it with every revision. And on top of that, making it backwards compatible, not go into complete & utter meltdown at the slightest hint of malicious code.

I just don't think people give them enough credit for the GIGANTIC amount of variables that go into PC development & still pull off something as simple & intuitive as a GUI based OS that for 99% of the time is functional to the highest standard x86 architecture can offer.

PC's arent toasters or washing machines folks.
Yeh nah...

Microsoft is a multi billion dollar mob with hundreds (thousands?) of developers working constantly on these OS's.
An OS may not be a toaster, but to still get it so wrong time and time again after being in the game for over 30 years, well that's just meh.

They have made some damn fine OS's over the years, OS's which the masses and industry really liked and had high productivity with. Then they screw with the recipe so much that efficiency goes down, or people simply don't change.

Let's not even mention the multitude of patches constantly being released to repair vulnerabilities.

I certainly won't give them much credit.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:36 PM   #38
outside
off in outer space

Quote:
No, I'm not sure but Microsoft is.
See post 23
i must be lucky then

Old 07-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #39
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Apparently on the grape vine , media centre will not be supported by win 10, and if that's the case, i reckon its a major bummer, i really like media centre.
MS believe that everybody streams their media these days. I'd like to get them to come to my place and try and stream anything with my crappy internet.

Plenty of other media software out there, but there seems some doubt at this stage if W10 can support TV cards or not.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #40
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Windows 7 has been a solid OS for me for 4 years now so I don't think I will upgrade just yet. In fact I've had more hardware issues with my Dell XPS than I have had software issues.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2015, 07:09 PM   #41
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Once you got used to it, Windows 8 was boss, I just use the desktop screen with all my most used apps pinned to start bar and search for everything else by right clicking on the windows button.
+1

That's exactly how I used Win 8. Never had a single drama.

10 is pretty cool... Only problem I had was Outlook was failing to send emails. Quick Google search found out how to fix that problem. Strangely enough, they can't tell why the problem occurs. They just know how to fix it. Which is all that really matters I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside View Post
i must be lucky then

No luck required... I'd say your regional settings are set to the US. Had the same thing on our laptop.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2015, 11:50 PM   #42
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Yeh nah...

Microsoft is a multi billion dollar mob with hundreds (thousands?) of developers working constantly on these OS's.
An OS may not be a toaster, but to still get it so wrong time and time again after being in the game for over 30 years, well that's just meh.

They have made some damn fine OS's over the years, OS's which the masses and industry really liked and had high productivity with. Then they screw with the recipe so much that efficiency goes down, or people simply don't change.

Let's not even mention the multitude of patches constantly being released to repair vulnerabilities.

I certainly won't give them much credit.
Yeah, and have every wannabe hacker have their go exploiting vulnerabilities in the OS (being the OS of preference for x86s). Something that Apple & Unix-based folk have only recently had the pleasure of encountering en-masse.
This isn't fairy-dream-land. Creating an OS to be out-of-the-box "efficient" on a platform that has almost endless possible configurations that continually change with IT infrastructure is nigh-on impossible.
If you want a bulletproof OS, then go a calculator. Because not even code & hardware specific firmware is without issues, such as gaming consoles.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Both PCs finally updated to Windows 10, I'm still using the search bar and all my apps pinned to the task bar so no big change for me really.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 01:46 AM   #44
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cortana is working perfectly for me here. See sounds quite sexy!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 01:27 PM   #45
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
MS believe that everybody streams their media these days. I'd like to get them to come to my place and try and stream anything with my crappy internet.

Plenty of other media software out there, but there seems some doubt at this stage if W10 can support TV cards or not.
I have the new windows media center works quite will be getting windows 10 in a couple of months and yes it does play tv.

It's called a xbox one does stream well too from 3 pc's and the internet also streams games the other way too been playing Project cars on my desktop pc with steering wheel pretty good
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 02:01 PM   #46
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently upgraded cheap HP laptop from windows 8.1 to 10, took about 2 hours, only problem was that I had to plug in a 16Gb card to give it some extra memory to store old windows 8.1 data in case I wanted to go back to 8.1

I have just updated my desktop computer from 7 to 10, took only 25 minutes, no problems at all.
I find 10 easier to use, clearer and less wishy washy than 7, and my desktop settings were unchanged, it feel more like XP.

Make sure you have a record of any passwords and user names that your computer has memorised, they are all lost in the update
Old 09-08-2015, 02:10 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
Make sure you have a record of any passwords and user names that your computer has memorised, they are all lost in the update
I use Firefox, all mine came across (thank the tech lord).
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 03:44 PM   #48
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post

i hope that is not the case with the tv cards , i like being able to watch the idiot box on the pc on occasion and resize it into the corner while doing computer stuff.
maybe i will cancel
" the Get windows 10 " ... .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #49
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No Cortana on my pc..MS said "Australian version will be here in 3 months"
Old 09-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #50
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
I must be old fashioned, all my passwords are written down on paper, I don't trust PC's enough yet
Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #51
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I must be old fashioned, all my passwords are written down on paper, I don't trust PC's enough yet
Fortunately all mine are recorded in an old fashioned note book as well, so it was a minor inconvenience
Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #52
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

there is a glitch in 10 that turns off your restore points when installed, and if you try to turn them on manually the system will crash, so be aware and currently while Microsoft know of the issue, there is no fix other than to uninstall.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #53
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

Most problems encounter can probably be avoided by reinstalling hardware drivers, just because you've updated doesn't mean the drivers are either the correct version now, are even compatible and available or are correctly installed after the update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #54
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

Quote:
Yeah, and have every wannabe hacker have their go exploiting vulnerabilities in the OS (being the OS of preference for x86s). Something that Apple & Unix-based folk have only recently had the pleasure of encountering en-masse.
This isn't fairy-dream-land. Creating an OS to be out-of-the-box "efficient" on a platform that has almost endless possible configurations that continually change with IT infrastructure is nigh-on impossible.
If you want a bulletproof OS, then go a calculator. Because not even code & hardware specific firmware is without issues, such as gaming consoles.
Have to agree with you 100% Microsoft do a bloody good job consisting the hundreds of thousands of hardware configurations the operating system needs to work on, and most problems are not OS related but driver or third party vendor related. Apple control the entire ecosystem and run into just as many problems, other UNIX systems also can be absolutely terrible to setup due to hardware diversity (usually due to drivers which is not really a fault of the OS), but considering Windows is Windows and the rest are really just using the UNIX kernel with a different flavour, Microsoft has built a very stable platform.

I know if I was going to spend my time trying to make a virus and exploit something I would want the greatest exposure so I would pick the OS that gives me the greatest possible chance of exposure, its only targeted because its worth targeting because its so widely used, hit 2% of the Windows market and you've managed to hit the equivalent of 20% the other vendors in the market have, and users are dumb, they click on stuff that says "you have fine waiting for pay to speeding ticket please sir follow link to view fine" - because it sounded legitimate but now my stuff is encrypted

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #55
JGP

I upgraded via the free offer from win 7->10 on 1 computer(2 yrs old) and 8.1->10(6moth old laptop) on another. Upgrade process very smooth and a few clicks...Win 10 is great! more stable and easier to use than 7.
8.1 was better than 7 but 10 is the best now....
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #56
JGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Windows 7 has been a solid OS for me for 4 years now so I don't think I will upgrade just yet. In fact I've had more hardware issues with my Dell XPS than I have had software issues.
I will never buy a Dell machine laptop or PC ever! I had a 5k XPS that needed a new graphics card every year, memory needed replacing etc etc...had to keep paying the $500 annual warranty, was like having another car! Will admit the service is great though, they come to wherever you are and replace on the spot. Ive used countless DELL machines at work and most are avg...its a shame, dell of the 90s was indeed a great machine!
win 10 may help solve your issues, my PC kept getting blue screens and wireless card would drop on/off...win 10 its been a couple of weeks and solid!
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #57
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
It's not just the popularity which makes MS products vulnerable, it's the basic lack of security and certain default settings which have caused issues at different times (amongst many other things).
Many of these issues can very easily be avoided.
Quote:
This isn't fairy-dream-land.
It is is you think MS is blameless.
Quote:
Creating an OS to be out-of-the-box "efficient" on a platform that has almost endless possible configurations that continually change with IT infrastructure is nigh-on impossible.
Nonsense.
XP was efficient for many years, and still is today for many users.
Quote:
If you want a bulletproof OS, then go a calculator.
There is no bullet proof OS, however as mentioned above, they should at least get the silly stuff right. They constantly don't and continue to make the same mistakes
Quote:
Because not even code & hardware specific firmware is without issues, such as gaming consoles.
Sure enough, one of those consoles is made by the same manufacturer, what a surprise...

Last edited by Sox; 13-08-2015 at 09:27 AM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 09:53 AM   #58
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 days down the track I am still happy with the upgrade to 10, however the Edge browser is dumbed down rubbish, like driving a car without a steering wheel. I have installed Explorer 11, works well. I am sure Firefox or Chrome would also be a huge improvement on edge.
Old 13-08-2015, 02:15 PM   #59
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Nope what a crap update !!

Lost my tower now back on my tablet or laptop...

Will upload a couple of screen shots, i have no access to my start menu now and i didn't back anything up before hitting the button :/
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2015, 02:52 PM   #60
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLR View Post
Nope what a crap update !!

Lost my tower now back on my tablet or laptop...

Will upload a couple of screen shots, i have no access to my start menu now and i didn't back anything up before hitting the button :/
I don't think you have lost anything, you have a month to roll it back if you don't like it before windows deletes the old operating system.
When I opened windows 10 for the first time with edge I had lost my favourites list, after switching to explorer 11, it all came back.