Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 29-10-2014, 09:04 AM   #31
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: Abbott Bypasses the Senate and Raises Fuel Excise

i'm more worried about the service stations randomly putting the price up and down by 20c with no correlation to the oil price
Old 29-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #32
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Well remember guys in two years time you get to have your say about this again, if you don't like them give your vote to someone else.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #33
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Im trying to imagine where we'd be if she were still running the joint, hmm...
You'd have the shockjocks smiling as they've trained you well.
Maybe try not use their exact terminology as it makes it a bit too obvious to readers on here.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Spoken like a true Liberal...............
This user likes this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #35
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will affect people in the bush and truckers more than city slickers! So , food etc will rise ,
Old 29-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #36
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

half a cent a litre !
that is 30c per week !!
how will I ever survive.

Oh, hang on, I save more than that just by choosing the right time and petrol station.
Or even by just leaving the ZF in Auto.
By turning off the climate control when I do not need it.
By checking my tyre pressure more regurlarly.
by breaking more gently.
by eating less at mcdonalds
by turning off my PC at night
by unplugging my chargers when not in use
6 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #37
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Spoken like a true Liberal...............
Spoken like a true green labor...............

Like big damo said, you get your chance in two years to change govco, then in five years we can fix all the ***** again.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #38
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Spoken like a true green labor...............

Like big damo said, you get your chance in two years to change govco, then in five years we can fix all the ***** again.
So you are predicting another global financial crisis is on the way soon? I wonder why...

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 29-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #39
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
half a cent a litre !
that is 30c per week !!
how will I ever survive.

Oh, hang on, I save more than that just by choosing the right time and petrol station.
Or even by just leaving the ZF in Auto.
By turning off the climate control when I do not need it.
By checking my tyre pressure more regurlarly.
by breaking more gently.
by eating less at mcdonalds
by turning off my PC at night
by unplugging my chargers when not in use
Actually if the government thinks they will raise an additional 2 Billion dollars that's about $100 per person per year, when averaged out across all consumers who pay at the pump or the checkout for goods and services.
I think much of the hype is not the cost per say , but the method behind the tax hike.
JP
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 12:07 PM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Over the years they sold everything, Telstra,qantas,commonwealth bank.

Now it's crunch time, anyone can balance the books by selling assetts.

So surprise surprise...GST,fuel excise, medibank sale....
Government owned companies are not assets, they are liabilities. They all run at a loss at the expense to the taxpayer and drive away competition from the private sector. A free market will have many lean companies competing with each other at no expense to the tax payer, and the government gets to make money on taxing it. So I guess it really isn't a free market, it's taxed and regulated.
Old 29-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #41
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Don't forget the CPI increases that kick off in February. This a gift that will keep on taking.

Yet public servants can't even get a wage increase that comes anywhere near the CPI.
How about Joe Average who dont even get wage increases yet the cost of **** you need keeps going up?
Old 29-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #42
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Government owned companies are not assets, they are liabilities. They all run at a loss at the expense to the taxpayer and drive away competition from the private sector. A free market will have many lean companies competing with each other at no expense to the tax payer, and the government gets to make money on taxing it. So I guess it really isn't a free market, it's taxed and regulated.
Or a government owns utilities that provide essential services, like power health, protection and defence. they don't need to make profit but work well. If they are in the Private sector they are heavily subsidised costing the taxpayer more than if it was publicly owned.
Also too many 'lean' companies are subsidised by the taxpayer in this country, from the Auto manufacturers and miners to startups.
The difference between public and many private companies is just how they get taxpayer handouts.

JP
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 12:21 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can anyone say storm in a tea cup ? Politicians have been back dooring us for decades, and this is going to get spent on roads that the opposition keeps telling us that they are going to kill off.
Surely after 6 years of the Labor fiasco we are surely not to upset?
I could think of far more upsetting things that occurred in australian politic in the previous govco s reign that hardly even got a mention .
5 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #44
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats why I love Aldi, not because I shop there, but they forced others to lower their prices.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #45
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
The one their about to sell brings in 500m a year.
Old 29-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #46
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Lets try and be objective... Labor were everyone's friend, spending like it was going out of fashion. Is the budget a disaster? Of course not, but Labor showed no sign of restraint going forward so it wasn't unreasonable to be concerned.

Whether they got us thru the GFC is debatable. A hell of a lot of stimulus funds went straight overseas, courtesy of spending on imported consumer goods. It could certainly have been better directed. The BER? Schoolrooms/etc are nice to look at, but they don't contribute to productivity gains in the economy in the way similar spending on industrial/transport infrastructure would have.

Are the current Lib government the right people for the job of getting things back on track? God no, I think that's clear to most sensible people regardless of political leanings. I'm a firm believer that Malcolm Turnbull would be a far better man for the job, and hope that he's given the opportunity sometime in the next few years....
Old 29-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #47
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
politic in the previous govco s reign that hardly even got a mention .

I guess that's why politics is so divisive. We all put our own spin and agenda on history and no matter how hard one argues and what facts are 'proven' some people wont see it for the trees!

JP
Old 29-10-2014, 12:33 PM   #48
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nurses in QLD got 2.2%, April 2015, thats .8% below inflation rate. and that wasn't negotiated. Just "given"..Nurses next payrise has been delayed until April 2016. QLD democracy!!!!!
Old 29-10-2014, 12:50 PM   #49
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Well not unexpected considering other revenue raising methods and cost savings have been denied, has to come from somewhere. Doesn't bother me, $40 of fuel lasts me a week and bit. I use PT to work.

The economy is in a mixed place, talking to many manufacturing employees (management, sales and floor staff), work has just dropped off a cliff. Some companies are laying off staff and others moving stuff overseas. Construction work isn't what it was, costs are just too high and that is reflecting on other sectors.
Costs in all areas are just spiraling out of control and may be, just may be a recession might provide the opportunity for the country to "reset" itself.

Our company isn't offering pay rises, not even CPI to cut costs. Recruitment/promotions must be internal as well. New employees coming on board are given lower pay rates than those coming in a year or two back. going to be an interesting year or two coming.
We're pricing ourselves out of work.
Old 29-10-2014, 01:19 PM   #50
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
Maybe try not use their exact terminology as it makes it a bit too obvious to readers on here.
There would be millions of people with similar opinion. Honestly I don't have the time to listen to shock jocks, living in Brisbane I don't know if there are any shock jocks anyway.

The root cause of this is the "budget emergency". Now you either believe it or you don't. The Libs say it exists, the ALP say it is a non-issue. If it were me I'd stop trying to repair the budget and simply pay off the interest bill month by month. Eventually ALP will get back in and they can manage their non-issue.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #51
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
What could you cut without anyone getting upset?
All cuts a blocked in the Senate anyway.
Old 29-10-2014, 01:36 PM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Nurses in QLD got 2.2%, April 2015, thats .8% below inflation rate. and that wasn't negotiated. Just "given"..Nurses next payrise has been delayed until April 2016. QLD democracy!!!!!
They'll strike long before than, they always do.

Reality ... you want CPI pay rises, you're going to shed staff. There's a finite pot of money, something many public servants seem to not get their heads around.

Had a friend, whose job is paid for out of government funds, at the height of the GFC they were whining about not getting their CPI raise, and that their work cars were being downgraded. All while sitting across the table from another friend who had just been laid off.

Seriously, the entitlement mentality in this country beggars belief at times.
6 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #53
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
and people criticised Gillard for 'lying', jesus this lot leave her in the dust for the telling of 'untruths' and the breaking of promises, this lot have taken it to a whole new level
Because of the hung parliament that year and independent power players she was forced to get into bed with Bob Brown so I can understand it. When she promised no carbon tax it was sincere at the time, but then not enough people voted for her and her government was dependent on the will of the greens.

This guy's simply tricked everyone for his rich mates and jesus, a very weak puppet who simply doesn't belong amongst world leaders, he looks like he has no idea that's the real truth I don't think he will ever grow into a leader. The budget promises were blatant lies and manipulation and I don't understand how people can just vote for him like a pawn still trusting his word, practically everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie, go back and watch the verified lies such as no cuts to health, pensions, GST under the knowledge they are actually lies, but watch him with the same crooked back and hands defensively flaring in the air, probably everything that comes out of his mouth is a lie.

Oh he's been quoted promising no changes to the GST 33 times now, he must think he's unreadable or something.. but if he wins 2016 then you can bet 100% the GST will rise despite those 33 promises. The aloof sociopath invalidates/uses the entire public as though he's talking to ants just look at what he says and what it's for, all a means to an end him talking to thousands of people looking them in the face treating them like objects, they're just pawns and many still don't see it. How he can get up there like some aloof in front of the whole country and make strong commitments like some sociopath I'll never understand.

I also heard he holds a dual citizenship (UK) and could potentially be stood down from office if our laws were actually enforced. Hopefully this happens soon.
Old 29-10-2014, 02:05 PM   #54
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bring back this guy please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeF41_coSX8
Old 29-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #55
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
she didn't run the budget into (a paper) deficit it was her predecessor
Old 29-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #56
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
That was a hopeless government under Gillard. Now fast forward to today. The Australian Tea Party are running the country under the guise of the old Liberal banner. Parliamentary members in the Liberal and National party are gagged/ There is Presidential style government under which, our democratic system is being underminded by the Prime Minister and the country economically is sinking fast.

Can't say its an improvement, but seriously question if its even as good.
Under the Hung Parliament led by Gillard they managed to pass more legislation in a 12 month period than any Government prior to her - go figure!! It must have worked, which is more than we can say for this lot
Old 29-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #57
Itsme
Experienced Member

For any government to run this country & to manage our budget economically is going to hurt our hip pockets at times, sad reality but true.

Suck it up everyone!
5 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 02:53 PM   #58
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Under the Hung Parliament led by Gillard they managed to pass more legislation in a 12 month period than any Government prior to her - go figure!! It must have worked, which is more than we can say for this lot
Not sure if introducing more legislation is a good thing or a yardstick to be proud of, I would have thought removing useless legislation would be better.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #59
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
she didn't run the budget into (a paper) deficit it was her predecessor
And how many budget surplus were promised during her term in office?
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2014, 02:54 PM   #60
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
For any government to run this country & to manage our budget economically is going to hurt our hip pockets at times, sad reality but true.

Suck it up everyone!
The problem is only some people are, and it's not the people who have the money!

Average cost of budget measures per adult

Poorest fifth of households: $1,847.57 (males) $2566.73 (females)

Second poorest fifth: $664.40 (males) $866.54 (females)

Middle fifth of households: $1311.49 (males) $1376.70 (females)

Second richest fifth: $1691.50 (males) $1618.86 (females)

Richest fifth of households: $78.83 (males) $76.02 (females)

Source: NATSEM

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...#ixzz3HUz3KVNG
Closed Thread