Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #31
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Natural disasters in SEQ and Vic

In 1974, parts of the bayside area were flooded, but didn't flood 2 years ago because there was no storm surge. Today however, it did flood just like in 1974.

TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #32
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holy crap, Unbelievable!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AacNNsnZhec
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #33
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Saw this on the news earlier today.Just goes to show what sort of idiots the police and rescue workers have to deal with.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #34
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Stay safe all. I feel sorry for you guys having to go through this again in such a short period of time.

The only thing that annoys me out of all this, is we are about to be asked to donate again because poor needy people who have not insured themselves, even though this happened 2 years ago need our help. Now don't get me wrong, I will donate, because that is the type of person I am, but I resent donating due to people not having insurance. Contents insurance at the very least, is only about $24pm for 100k cover. If I can manage to pay it with one low income worker in the house and me unemployed and recieving half the rate of disability per month, most people should be able to.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been out cleaning up my mess today.
I was lucky, all I had was a few trees, a bit of fence some water damage and some electrical cables.

Lots were not so lucky and in Maryborough and Bundaberg it is still rising which together with the tides are looking like it will not be a lot of fun at all.

For those who have been to Hervey Bay this is the Esplanade on the corner of Elizabeth St. The water is salt not fresh.
sharkshow.jpg

Last edited by flappist; 28-01-2013 at 03:15 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #36
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Bundy looks stuffed! Im glad we are three stories up at the moment. Apparently some water is meant to be coming to the CBD late this arvo/tonight.

This is the first time Ive been near a flood situation, its weird as its cleared up here at the moment but I guess we are going to get what runs down?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been watching the live coverage this morning. So much bloody water.

I think I heard briefly they had changed insurance legislation in the meantime since 2011 the specifics of which I do not know but could make this situation a whole lot worse or better.

I still can't believe the sheer stupidity of people who still try to cross flood water.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah some act's beggar belief!

I actually just secured a rental a few days ago after moving up and our stuff is still in VIC and I cant get home and contents insurance yet as there is an embargo on the postcode...hmmm...looked at the council maps and our street is "safe" but we will see. Hopefully it all clears up by the end of the week.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #39
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Burnett River in Bundaberg has broken it's banks. Mandatory evacuations now on.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #40
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not having a go at you Spudz.While I see your point it isn't as clear cut as that.A very high percentage of insurance policy holders got absolutely nothing in the terms of payout from there insurance providers.I have been to hundreds of flood effected homes from the last big one in Brisbane and the general consensus is that Suncorp and Westpac were by far the best, a couple of smaller ones aligned with those two also paid up. Another variable was where the water came from, be it from heavy rain, flash flooding, storm water backup or straight from the river itself,again from my experience Suncorp basically paid up no matter what the circumstances.There are still hundreds of houses that have not been rebuilt or were knocked down and not rebuilt because of the whole insurance issue. I live very high on the hill but only about 500 meters from the Brisbane river, we never had flood insurance, and frankly never tHought about it as if our house flooded the Gateway Bridge and the CBD would be just about wiped out, realistically this could never happen, if it did we would be all wiped from the face of the earth.Now the point I am getting to is the price of the insurance policies has skyrocketed for a lot of people. Ours increased significantly because we are so close to the river and are now covered by flood insurance even though we don' t want it.Don" t worry we tried shopping around and also negotiating with our insurance company because of our location but to no availe. We ended up getting an extra 50 dollars off for our house and contents. This is with a company who basically did not cover anyone in the last big flood even if they had flood cover.My mate who lives only about 50 meters from the river and was not covered by his insurance as the water came from the storm water backup not the river has had his policy increase by $6,000 per year. Luckily he can afford it but I would at a guess think a lot of people affected last time would not be ale to afford that rise and are probably in suburbs that need it more than he does ie- those further upstream where the water levels rose by an incredible amount.It will be interesting to see how we'll the governments revised laws pertaining to the flood cover washes out ( pardon the pun) this time around for those that need it. Sorry for the long winded reply but people not directly affected by those floods probably have very little idea of the hardship, both finacially and emotionally. A lot of people went through and a lot of people are still enduring to this day.Having only been involved with the Brisbane side of the floods I can only imagine the hardship some of our fellow Australians have been through, bush fires down south, Gympie going under three times in four years and all those effected over a vast area of Australia by different natural disasters, it must be heartbreaking stuff.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #41
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8 View Post
Not having a go at you Spudz.While I see your point it isn't as clear cut as that.A very high percentage of insurance policy holders got absolutely nothing in the terms of payout from there insurance providers.I have been to hundreds of flood effected homes from the last big one in Brisbane and the general consensus is that Suncorp and Westpac were by far the best, a couple of smaller ones aligned with those two also paid up. Another variable was where the water came from, be it from heavy rain, flash flooding, storm water backup or straight from the river itself,again from my experience Suncorp basically paid up no matter what the circumstances.There are still hundreds of houses that have not been rebuilt or were knocked down and not rebuilt because of the whole insurance issue. I live very high on the hill but only about 500 meters from the Brisbane river, we never had flood insurance, and frankly never tHought about it as if our house flooded the Gateway Bridge and the CBD would be just about wiped out, realistically this could never happen, if it did we would be all wiped from the face of the earth.Now the point I am getting to is the price of the insurance policies has skyrocketed for a lot of people. Ours increased significantly because we are so close to the river and are now covered by flood insurance even though we don' t want it.Don" t worry we tried shopping around and also negotiating with our insurance company because of our location but to no availe. We ended up getting an extra 50 dollars off for our house and contents. This is with a company who basically did not cover anyone in the last big flood even if they had flood cover.My mate who lives only about 50 meters from the river and was not covered by his insurance as the water came from the storm water backup not the river has had his policy increase by $6,000 per year. Luckily he can afford it but I would at a guess think a lot of people affected last time would not be ale to afford that rise and are probably in suburbs that need it more than he does ie- those further upstream where the water levels rose by an incredible amount.It will be interesting to see how we'll the governments revised laws pertaining to the flood cover washes out ( pardon the pun) this time around for those that need it. Sorry for the long winded reply but people not directly affected by those floods probably have very little idea of the hardship, both finacially and emotionally. A lot of people went through and a lot of people are still enduring to this day.Having only been involved with the Brisbane side of the floods I can only imagine the hardship some of our fellow Australians have been through, bush fires down south, Gympie going under three times in four years and all those effected over a vast area of Australia by different natural disasters, it must be heartbreaking stuff.
Sorry mate, I will clarify, having insurance and having the insurance company refuse your claim is one thing and I certainly feel sorry for those people. It is the ones whom have no insurance what so ever and when things like this happen, they are usually the first in line to get handouts. My old unit was flooded due to storms 4yrs ago, so I know how it feels to be in this situation. Thankfully mine came under storm damage, again, my gripe is not with those that are refused insurance, my gripe is with those who just blatantly refuse to get it, then stand in line and cry how hard done by they are, whilst people who have lost everything, are insured, but can't claim, try to rebuild without uttering a word. I am in a rental so home insurance is not my issue, but my contents are insured for 100k, including flood cover and it costs me about $24pm. I do not see why people at the very least can't have contents cover, we are talking $6pw, less than a pack of smokes. It should be the first thing you get when moving in to a new house.

I will donate to appeals, just voicing that it annoys me that we are going to begin hearing the stories of people who lost everything, never paid for insurance, but expect to be given handouts.

Last edited by Spudz27; 28-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 28-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #42
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Bundy distillery is expected to go under
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #43
The Monty
Just slidin'

Mercury 8.
We knew the flood in 2011 was coming days before it happened. I jumped on the phone to my insurance company to see what sort of cover I had, which did not include riverne flooding. I live where it is unlikely I will get river flooding, lol.
But the point is, people who werent insured for riverine flooding SHOULD have read there PDS before making financial decisions on there insurance products.
Then I donated clothes, toys, and also money to the victims whos insurance didnt pay out, because either A) they had no insurance, or B) werent smart enough to check there insurance policies.
Then I donated money.
And then I donated days of my own time to help clean up there houses.
Then I got charged extra on MY insurance, to cover people paid out.
THEN the government charged me extra tax for the year to help pay for it.
And finally, my local council upped my rates and water to help reclaim money spent on fixing local infrastructure.

So this time, there is no chance in hell these people will receive my money, my goods, or my time. Sounds harsh, but I guarantee that we will be charged extra in other facets of our daily lives, regardless of if we agree with it. People should have learnt from last time re. insurance.

However, if you are willing to donate, that is very kind of you, and the world is a better place for having people like you. I am just frustrated that I pay for my own way in life, yet some people expect handots when they cant be bothered checking there policies, or not having one in the first place.
Old 28-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #44
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
For those who have been to Hervey Bay this is the Esplanade on the corner of Elizabeth St. The water is salt not fresh.
Attachment 76528
Yikes. I was there on Christmas day. It looked a bit different to that
Old 28-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #45
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep safe guys

see you out the other side

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #46
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
I was lucky, all I had was a few trees, a bit of fence some water damage and some electrical cables.

Lots were not so lucky and in Maryborough and Bundaberg it is still rising which together with the tides are looking like it will not be a lot of fun at all.

Attachment 76528
I hope the sharks don't get loose.
Old 28-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #47
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:

Attachment 76528
Took the family to HB and visited Vic's shop and then onto Bangara two weeks ago. Unbelievable, is that storm surge?

He'll have to relocate his frozen sharks (again)
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #48
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spudz, you say that your contents insurance is only $24 a month for 100K. I don't know where you live (you haven't filled in your bio) but are you sure that this is a flat rate for everyone around Australia?

I think you will find that it's not, as insurance premiums are calculated on the potential risk and likelyhood and then you are charged accordingly. So for a person living in an area known to flood, or an area prone to bushfire or cyclonic conditions, your $24 per month for $100K is not even in the ball park.

Regardless of that, I believe that everyone should have insurance. I just dont think your $24 a month is accurate, so please don't preach to us that no one should be without it because its affordable, because thats not neccesarily so.

I have had quotes for my modest home for house and contents of over $4000. While that quote was over the top, I pay much more than $24 per $100K of cover for my contents insurance, but having had a couple of cyclones and a flood event through here in the last 5 years that is to be expected.

Back on topic, we have had only 300mm of rainfall during this event and other than a destroyed clothes line due to heavy wind sending a couple of massive palm fronds onto it, all is good.

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 28-01-2013 at 07:13 PM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #49
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Took the family to HB and visited Vic's shop and then onto Bangara two weeks ago. Unbelievable, is that storm surge?

He'll have to relocate his frozen sharks (again)
Yeh mostly surge but as the Mary river exits not far away and it is about 12m high at the moment and the tides are big it all adds up.

It is looking nastier and nastier for Bundy and Maryborough. Gayndah's "unfloodable" bridge went under and all of that has to go through Bundy yet as well as the Gympie water which will just add to local water from Tinana Ck in Maryborough.

This is going to be a very busy week......
Old 28-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #50
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Bundy our daughter lives over north a couple of streets back from the river. In 2010/11 they were OK, but this year she and the granddaughter went to my mothers house over on the high and dry south side. Her husband stayed home to see what would happen, and this morning got a ride in a Blackhawk as they declared mandatory evacs.

And here I was complaining that the internet was down for a couple of days...

Bundy looks like having a flood as big as, or maybe higher than, the 1942 flood (was that one climate change too...?), and Rocky is also in for all the water which has still to flow down from the catchment area out here. The record in Rockhampton was actually set back in 1918...again, please don't bring this climate change crapola into it...we always get droughts and floods in cycles.

Everyone keep safe, please don't drive around road closed signs (the SES and flood rescue guys have better things to do), and make sure you have plenty of supplies. A really good friend of mine is stuck in her house near Maleny, the roads cut, no power for days, and tank water with a pump, so no real water supply to speak of.

Last edited by 2011G6E; 28-01-2013 at 07:26 PM.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #51
Thornie
Off smelting

We had over 1000mm apparantly in boyne-tannum, few friends had their houses flooded and, the water level under the benaraby bridge is normal just a trickle and you can walk across it, the bridge is proberly 10-15 metres above the river amd the water was lapping the bottom of the bridge itself. Awoonga dam was over 8metres over the spillway highest its ever been, I'm glad i live near the top of a hill only had my lounge room ceiling bow in because of water and my gazebo blew over my house during the wind and landed on my car, even after i tied the damn thing down, but i still have all my belongings and can sleep in my own bed so i've got to be grateful for that.

Supplies are cut atm so the supermarkets are empty and only just had communication services restored, thinking of those down south now. Bridge is out near miriam vale they reckon and it'll be a couple of days before they get through, my wife is the director at a child care centre and they did there fruit order for the week ordered a ton of bread from the bakery as well to give to family's that go to the centre if they need it, smartest thing she's ever done haha.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #52
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Re: empty supermarket shelves and communications. Same here mate.

No CH7 so the wife missed the tennis finals last night, and no internoet, phone, mobiles, ATM, Eftpos at all for 24 hours until 1 hour ago.

Only minor annoyances compared to the worst case down south with people losing lives, personal belongings and houses, etc, but it was a bit like a flashback to 1987! LOL
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #53
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Hope the weather eases soon and everyone affected remains safe

Last edited by Russ; 28-01-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #54
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Yep, nearly 3 days of rain and wind that just did not ease up.

A little water coming through the ceiling, trees / branches down but didn't damage anything and a garage full of water and that was about it. Couple of other minor things but we have power and the rain and wind have stopped thankfully.

Having been in the middle of the floods last time and been cut off for a few days, this seems quite minor compared to 2011.

Keep safe people
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #55
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mt Tamborine is trashed. I managed to get out this afternoon for a look and there's hardly a street without downed power lines. There's trees lying over roads alll over the place. The electricity cut out Saturday and they think it might be reconnected Thursday. I checked my rain gauge Saturday lunch time and it was showing 10 inches after around 15 hours of rain. I couldn't get back to it again but I'd guess we got over 20 inches. We emptied out the frig/freezer this evening and took it to our daughter's place off the Mountain. It's going to take a long time to get the Mountain back to normal. Sorry no pics ... my camera's out of action.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:12 PM   #56
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are councils doing in the area's that are prone to flood badly when it's a combo of king tide and tropical storms, surely they must have some idea's
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
What are councils doing in the area's that are prone to flood badly when it's a combo of king tide and tropical storms, surely they must have some idea's
Yeh they stand on the shore and command the tide not to come in.......

The area that is prone to flooding when there is a king tide and a tropical storm is about 3000km long and 100km wide which is bigger than the state of Victoria.

What do you think they should do?
Old 28-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #58
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

No power for nearly 30 hrs, half fridge in bin, other half in esky, house looking like medieval castle, trains into cbd not running till wednesday... ah qld you so crazy
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #59
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The record in Rockhampton was actually set back in 1918...
My sister has a pic of this somewhere I'm pretty sure.

Ed
Old 28-01-2013, 11:55 PM   #60
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeh they stand on the shore and command the tide not to come in.......

The area that is prone to flooding when there is a king tide and a tropical storm is about 3000km long and 100km wide which is bigger than the state of Victoria.

What do you think they should do?
don`t really know, but when the plumber rows by to fix a leaking tap in the bathroom a couple of times in a decade they need some sort of plan,
perhaps the worst effected homes that are wiped out every time and it`s not feasible to stop the problem, start a buy back scheme with a ban on the block ever having a house on it again, obviously no one is is going to buy a block that wipes your house out every time there`s a flood, let the council make park land out of it or something.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post