Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-04-2015, 07:02 AM   #31
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Re: chrome on cars? the more the better?

I like the chrome on my car as it breaks up the black. Also, helps signify a higher model.

Never understood why BA has chrome under the tail lights on every model. I assume is was to fill in a design fault, as it looks out of place. Sort of ruined the chrome thing for me.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-04-2015, 07:26 AM   #32
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
I like a little bit of subtle chrome, too much isn't classy.
So your saying this isn't classy?
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #33
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

depends on the car
old school with bumpers door handles bit of window trim and some trolley strips and they look minta i reckon
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 12:37 PM   #34
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
So your saying this isn't classy?
It was in response to Hulk asking about aftermarket chrome on late model cars. I'm all for originality, especially old school chrome work.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmm I had an old fb , lots of chrome .... Still didn't like it much .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #36
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
It was in response to Hulk asking about aftermarket chrome on late model cars. I'm all for originality, especially old school chrome work.
Yeah was just having a joke, I know what you mean I have seen far too many outlanders or muranos with too much tacky looking 'chrome'
Old 20-04-2015, 09:25 PM   #37
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

I put some chrome door handle covers on my Ego G6ET and it really lifted the look of the car. Heck, they were worth a shot for ten bucks including postage to see how they looked.

I might replace them with the real deal eventually, but they are still hanging on!

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #38
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Ghia Mike View Post
I put some chrome door handle covers on my Ego G6ET and it really lifted the look of the car. Heck, they were worth a shot for ten bucks including postage to see how they looked.

I might replace them with the real deal eventually, but they are still hanging on!
got a pic ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #39
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Check this chrome work out Hulkie......park this next to a HSV,http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11430455
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #40
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Check this chrome work out Hulkie......park this next to a HSV,http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11430455
I Wonder what's it's like to drive near that on a sunny day? If it didn't blind you, then surely it would cause a Forest fire?

I was driving behind a friend's GT that just had it's bumpers chromed. All it took was a split second, and a perfect angle between the Sun, his bumpers and my retina's, and I thought I'd just met God.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #41
EFFalcon
Last warning

yes moar!

DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #42
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

In some countries, like Vietnam, having a modern car, or any car privately owned, is a very big thing and the dealers and/or owners will add heaps of extra chrome detailing to the body such as strips, door lines, chrome grille and wheel arches, etc, to basic Toyota Camrys.

Years ago, I considered importing this stuff from a supplier there to sell to people here who wanted to tart up their Camrys but never got around to it.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #43
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Those southern Asian cars your referencing look terrible. You can see some vans influenced by that trend and some SUV's too like the Honda CRV.

I personally hate modern chrome, I don't understand why you would add extra chrome to something like a bright coloured XR6. Keep the chrome mirrors and bumper trims to soft coloured Fairmonts/G6's.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #44
SavVYute

You don't see much chrome plating these days because it's hazardous to the environment and to the health of workers in the industry.
The costs involved to provide a safe work place is one of the reasons why it can be so expensive to have an item chromed....and that it's labour intensive.
All the old time chrome plating businesses around my way are gone now.
The blokes that ran them are all dead.
SavVYute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #45
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: chrome on cars? the more the better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Never understood why BA has chrome under the tail lights on every model. I assume is was to fill in a design fault, as it looks out of place. Sort of ruined the chrome thing for me.
For some reason, I recall that it was actually a mistake...higher models were meant to get it and the lower models not.

I'm sure someone on here could shed some light here.

I'm not a huge fan of chrome - acceptable for me just in subtle highlights...I like the METAL chrome interior door handles on my EL Ghia, but think they look out of place on EF/EL XRs...then again, I like the woodgrain gear-shifter surround in my Cappucino colored interior, but think it looks weird with Mako / Luna Mist.

The chrome badge on my TE50 really doesn't suit Venom, BUT looks so much more prestigious on Sparkling Burgundy (for example ).

Back on topic - the right color car makes the chrome work...light colored cars generally fail at pulling off chrome...but then again, I don't mind it on some of the new white VWs *sigh*.

I dunno - clearly thinking aloud here :-)
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 07:00 PM   #46
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post

I personally hate modern chrome, I don't understand why you would add extra chrome to something like a bright coloured XR6. Keep the chrome mirrors and bumper trims to soft coloured Fairmonts/G6's.
Think out of the box a little

These days modern sporty cars are swaying away from your traditional big wings and skirts etc and more around very subtle body additions and chrome highlights.

Look at modern m series BMW, AMG, srt Chrysler, even hsv and Subaru have headed down this path.
HULK_I6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #47
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Not a fan.. Those wrapped cars be it carbon look, Matt finish colours or chrome look horrendous. I just shake my head thinking ruined the car.
Old 21-04-2015, 07:26 PM   #48
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
Think out of the box a little

These days modern sporty cars are swaying away from your traditional big wings and skirts etc and more around very subtle body additions and chrome highlights.

Look at modern m series BMW, AMG, srt Chrysler, even hsv and Subaru have headed down this path.
They're also moving to to a trend of having black editions, quite the opposite of chrome.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2015, 09:09 PM   #49
HULK_I6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
They're also moving to to a trend of having black editions, quite the opposite of chrome.
Black editions are usually a low quantity limited edition model to align to the niche boy racer track day special. Hardly mainstream. Most incorporate plenty of chrome that appeals to a much much wider market.

I think more disappointing than chrome highlights on an xr6/b series is a boss bonnet with no boss motor under there.

Old 22-04-2015, 05:24 AM   #50
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many on here have been to Samoa, the people there seem to like chrome on anything and everything. I would say that around 50% of the cars over there have tacky chrome addons, I recall seeing an old 95 corolla taxi with the chrome wheel arches, the rolls royce style chrome emblem sticking up proudly on the bonnet, it also had a twin intake bonnet scoop with chrome tips, chrome wheel caps and chromed door handle add ons and exhaust. And its not just a one off, you constantly see similar cars with all the crappy chrome stuff.
So obviously some places do prefer the 'bling' look more than others
Old 22-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #51
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
How many on here have been to Samoa, the people there seem to like chrome on anything and everything. I would say that around 50% of the cars over there have tacky chrome addons, I recall seeing an old 95 corolla taxi with the chrome wheel arches, the rolls royce style chrome emblem sticking up proudly on the bonnet, it also had a twin intake bonnet scoop with chrome tips, chrome wheel caps and chromed door handle add ons and exhaust. And its not just a one off, you constantly see similar cars with all the crappy chrome stuff.
So obviously some places do prefer the 'bling' look more than others
same as Thailand,bali etc.
Old 22-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #52
NOI551

Leave the chrome for Commodores.. :\
NOI551 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2015, 07:20 PM   #53
marty351
Shenanigans..............

I have to agree, chrome belongs on on pre 80's cars.
Reading this thread just reminded me of the dumped VN with 19" chromies doing laps around chapel st a few years back. Yes, everyone was looking at it while dry reaching and giggling at the same time.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #54
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
In saying that i cant bring myself to fit a chrome garnish on my octane xr.. nor can i fit chrome grill or even chrome pin striping.

The bf xr, all you can really do is a set of wheels and keep it clean
If you want to put chrome but do not want it forever, get it vinyl wrapped. Your can remove it any time you want.

Grills and such wrapped can look good.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post