Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #31
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: Tesla Electric Car

How long is the warranty on the battery ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
pursuit2359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
How long is the warranty on the battery ?
For the 40 kWh battery, 8 years and 100,000 miles
For the 60 kWh battery, 8 years and 125,000 miles
For the 85 kWh battery, 8 years and unlimited miles

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options
pursuit2359 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit2359
For the 40 kWh battery, 8 years and 100,000 miles
For the 60 kWh battery, 8 years and 125,000 miles
For the 85 kWh battery, 8 years and unlimited miles

Source: http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options
Thanks. From what I've observed here, a typical high end Euro approximatly halves in value every three years so you're $130,000 Euro has a likely future value after nine years of somewhere about $20,000 - $30,000.

At least with this electric car you can fit a new battery pack at say year 9 and you're good to go again and by then the batteries will probably be a heck of a lot cheaper than they are today. Even if they only get 1/2 of the range in real world conditions after a few years of operation I still reckon that'll be fine for a fair percentage of drivers.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #34
Barranated
Starter Motor

This might answer a few questions...
Here is the refuelling kit that Simon Hackett took with him on the Darwin to Adelaide Global Challenge to juice up his Tesla Roadster.
That's a fairly gutsy genset needed for a recharge.
Barranated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

whats the damage for a replacement battery?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 05:22 PM   #36
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Not only this but you've got these cars with voltages exceeding 400V DC, who can work on it? This isn't something you should be able to take to Mr John Smith local auto electrics, there needs to be legislation introduced and training, because I can see people dying trying to tinker.

I can see what is going to happen, there is going to be a few dead first year apprentices before training and legislation comes about.

They're training Nissan technicians at my TAFE on their new Nissan Leaf electric car, but not us auto electricians? What about emergency personnel who have to cut open the car?
That's another couple of huge problems...Joe Average at home won't dare monkey with anything on the car...there are hundreds of amps running through certain cables, and that's not a jolt to the arm...that's a "carried away in a pine box" shock level.

Overseas emergency personell are being warned seriously about attending crashed involving electric cars for this very reason...they are told to take their time and if they aren't sure about touching/cutting something, don't until technical assistance can be reached for advice.

...comforting I'm sure if you're trapped in the thing after an accident...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

speaking of charging, is`nt there a correct way to charge ev batteries? for example i recently bought a battery for my phone , the guy at the counter advised not to charge it in dribs and drabs or they suffer the memory effect and it shortens the life of the battery, he said run it down low on charge then charge it for 6 to 8 hours , i don`t know if it`s the same for EV`s , but i would imagine it would be.
speaking of charging, i found this clip on the tube, Dan Gray in US driving around in an economy ev, it`s sorta half a road test and a bit of looking for a charging spot and problems encountered, not a bad clip i reckon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVv2AcSESw&feature=plcp
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #38
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
speaking of charging, is`nt there a correct way to charge ev batteries? for example i recently bought a battery for my phone , the guy at the counter advised not to charge it in dribs and drabs or they suffer the memory effect and it shortens the life of the battery, he said run it down low on charge then charge it for 6 to 8 hours , i don`t know if it`s the same for EV`s , but i would imagine it would be.
speaking of charging, i found this clip on the tube, Dan Gray in US driving around in an economy ev, it`s sorta half a road test and a bit of looking for a charging spot and problems encountered, not a bad clip i reckon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZVv2AcSESw&feature=plcp

That advice is for nickel cadmium.

The new Lithium Phosphate do not suffer from memory effects.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:08 AM   #39
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
That's another couple of huge problems...Joe Average at home won't dare monkey with anything on the car...there are hundreds of amps running through certain cables, and that's not a jolt to the arm...that's a "carried away in a pine box" shock level.

Overseas emergency personell are being warned seriously about attending crashed involving electric cars for this very reason...they are told to take their time and if they aren't sure about touching/cutting something, don't until technical assistance can be reached for advice.

...comforting I'm sure if you're trapped in the thing after an accident...

Nothing new mate, I am in the CFA and you have to be accreditted to work on Prius etc.

It's the same as when a petrol tanker or LPG tanker crash...takes people who know what they are doing.

A piece of paper and a bit of classroom work and job's done.

Its actually easier to make an electric car safer from energy release by isolating the battery bank than it is to stop a fuel line from dripping fuel all over the road when a pressurised fuel line is released.

I obviously like electric cars...LOL
Old 28-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #40
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
That advice is for nickel cadmium.

The new Lithium Phosphate do not suffer from memory effects.
cool , thanks for enlightening me .
Old 28-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Nothing new mate, I am in the CFA and you have to be accreditted to work on Prius etc.

It's the same as when a petrol tanker or LPG tanker crash...takes people who know what they are doing.

A piece of paper and a bit of classroom work and job's done.

Its actually easier to make an electric car safer from energy release by isolating the battery bank than it is to stop a fuel line from dripping fuel all over the road when a pressurised fuel line is released.

I obviously like electric cars...LOL
you could see circumstances where isolating the battery might also be a problem, time will tell of course, but what if the car is now live with x amount of volts and fire has started with passengers trapped inside?
Old 28-09-2012, 01:18 AM   #42
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
you could see circumstances where isolating the battery might also be a problem, time will tell of course, but what if the car is now live with x amount of volts and fire has started with passengers trapped inside?

A big relay right at the battery box, kept energised by a smaller battery up front.

Airbags go off, simultaneously a relay trips out all series conduits throughout the car.

Simplified version?

20 batteries in series for example makes 240volts.
Imagine a solid state switch in series with the chain of batteries.
Break the link between all 20 batteries and maximum single cell voltage becomes 12 volts.

Piece of cake.

Miles easier to contain than ruptured fuel lines and sparks all over the car, or heaven forbid...an LPG tank!
Old 28-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #43
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds pretty good Ugg.
Old 28-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
A big relay right at the battery box, kept energised by a smaller battery up front.

Airbags go off, simultaneously a relay trips out all series conduits throughout the car.

Simplified version?

Break the link between all 20 batteries and maximum single cell voltage becomes 12 volts.

Piece of cake.

Miles easier to contain than ruptured fuel lines and sparks all over the car, or heaven forbid...an LPG tank!
Yep because whenever a car crashes nothing is ever bent or broken and bits are never "relocated".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Not sure what you mean Flappist?
Old 29-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #46
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
You're kidding me. How the hell do they fit under the hatch, or is it for kids no older than 5, or midgets?
Apparently you can fit two small kids back there:
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/interior

I don't see the reasoning behind that though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barranated

This might answer a few questions...
Here is the refuelling kit that Simon Hackett took with him on the Darwin to Adelaide Global Challenge to juice up his Tesla Roadster.
That's a fairly gutsy genset needed for a recharge.
How much Co2 was expended from that huge generator and truck?
Old 29-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #47
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buntz93ED
Apparently you can fit two small kids back there:
http://www.teslamotors.com/models/features#/interior

I don't see the reasoning behind that though...

How much Co2 was expended from that huge generator and truck?
with transportation of the generator probably about as much as a v8 300C, a a 6.2 hsv and and 5.0 GT .
Old 29-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #48
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I personally desire owning a Model S! It's a piece of art inside out and certainly appears to be worth its price to me! Speaking of the interior, here's a video showing some of the infotainment features - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=DZaaDSKkagA#! This interior set-up might alienate some, but to me it's part of the USP (unique selling point) of this car.

Coming back to the whole EV thing - is 480km/charge really that bad - I mean, how many people who'd own something like this drive it further than that on a very frequent basis? Unless of course you want to sell it for $5...

And even if you want to seriously road trip in this, 45 mins to completely "supercharge" is pretty impressive considering it can take some EVs 8 HOURS!

Also, the performance is undeniable - faster and cheaper than an M5 = win!
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg

Simplified version?

Piece of cake.

If you have to manually disconnect any of those big relays I hope you're wearing some sort of gloves and eye protection because at those voltages you get arc flash which cause burns.

The Nissan guys have full suits and face shields when they need to do disconnect anything with high voltage through it.

Not only that but we seem to be in early days of the modern electric car, they have to be careful where they run wires, because you could pinch them and direct short to ground in an accident fairly easy, and there are all kinds of accident types at different severity.

For emergency services sake I hope they actually train you.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2012, 03:14 PM   #50
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RD4TW
I personally desire owning a Model S! It's a piece of art inside out and certainly appears to be worth its price to me! Speaking of the interior, here's a video showing some of the infotainment features - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=DZaaDSKkagA#! This interior set-up might alienate some, but to me it's part of the USP (unique selling point) of this car.

Coming back to the whole EV thing - is 480km/charge really that bad - I mean, how many people who'd own something like this drive it further than that on a very frequent basis? Unless of course you want to sell it for $5...

And even if you want to seriously road trip in this, 45 mins to completely "supercharge" is pretty impressive considering it can take some EVs 8 HOURS!

Also, the performance is undeniable - faster and cheaper than an M5 = win!
yes the infotainment looks pretty good, one thing that occurs to me looking at clip, look at all the glossy dash surface, i wonder how it goes for reflections on a bright sunny day,
if it really had that range in worst case scenario, i`d be really impressed,
there are still many questions to be answered with the ev, what happens when you get caught short with low % charge left and no dedicated charge sites, do you carry a 10 amp extension lead?
at what battery charge level does the car start shutting down accessories to keep alive?
as the battery goes down in charge, does performance drop off accordingly and gradually get slower or does it keep performing fully then when the battery reaches zero does it just stop dead? will there be thousands of these generator trucks pictured on call to come to the rescue?
Old 29-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
It will be around $200k in Aus...dunno why...$75k is the US price?
Carbon tax ?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #52
12slotter

Hmm, EVUR- ELECTRIC CAR....UNLIMITED K'S !! http://www.evur.us
12slotter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #53
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slotter
Hmm, EVUR- ELECTRIC CAR....UNLIMITED K'S !! http://www.evur.usimage
Sounds dodgy to me? It questions the laws of perpetual motion somewhat??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #54
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
I asked the Tesla rep about that range and battery issue...

The electric car industry is still nascient, but soon enough,
they will standardise on an ISO shaped and wired battery pack with a cycles timer to show its remaining useful life,(and hence "fillup" cost)
you will be able to simply swap your exhausted battery at a swap and go facility in less time than filling a V8.
problem solved...any other requests?
Mmmm, yes, I have one, I have a Teslsa, brought it yesterday, in fact.
My question: I'm leaving to drive from Ipswich, QLD to Charleville, QLD tomorrow morning at 0500EST.
How long will it take to get there?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #55
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12slotter
Electric cars i still don't know , although with no emissions, wonder how much coal would have to burn to do a complete re-charge? ......when my tyres wear out where does the rubber go
I think the idea is you can fix up 1 or 2 coal stations easier than 50,000 cars

rubber actually breaks down in uv light and returns to the earth (otherwise there'd be piles of rubber marbles like on a race track).
Old 05-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have one as long as it was a lot cheaper to run then a similar ICE car.

How much would the electricity cost to recharge the thing from empty?
If it was a couple of dollars that would be pretty sweet.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #57
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wondering about the batteries
if they are recycled
or just dumped at a special battery tip site
also didnt there used to be battery reconditioners in the old days
couldnt they just replace the plates in them
I recon that would save on dumping fees
and re using the battery case must save money

also that artical on the electric "EVUR" the car that doesnt run out
couldnt you use the kenetic power produced by the braking motion and such
I know there is no such thing as perpetual motion
but using the kenetic energy to recharge an extra smaller battery
just to get you home sort of like "limp mode"
just some thoughts

Last edited by last fairlane; 05-10-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #58
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I love it and would buy it if i had the coin.

Quite disappointed at the pricing of the volt, in the states chev sell it for $29k drive away, holden are going for 55-60k.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsta
I love it and would buy it if i had the coin.

Quite disappointed at the pricing of the volt, in the states chev sell it for $29k drive away, holden are going for 55-60k.
Basic wage in USA is $6-7/hr, what is it in Australia?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #60
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes but if they can build it then sell it for a profit for $29000 in the US does that mean when selling it here they make $30,000 profit from each car? Surely it's not going to cost 30k to ship it to Australia.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post